Switching phones temporarily - how to access my data

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I cracked my Lumia 1520 screen and will have to send it out for repair to Palco, which will take a week. I will use an old iPhone 5 during this time, How can I get access to my contacts and text messages that are on my windows phone? Thanks.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You can access your contacts via outlook.com or the service you used (if you used an email from another service as your MS account), I'm not sure about text messages however as MS removed the ability from outlook.com - it was called Messaging History.

Accessing text messages via another service such as yahoo.com - I'm not sure if you can.

Personally I would say grab a 520 and transfer your contacts, text messages across. However that will create issues when if you back up. So once you get your 1520 back, transfer the text messages back and add the new contacts manually to avoid any duplicates.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
IN outlook.com on my pc, I can only see Skype contacts under messaging. I don't really use Skype so there are not many there. On my windows phone, there are many more contacts, and these are the ones that I text message and would need available on another device. thanks.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you go to Outlook.com and log in using the same credentials you used on your phone you should see all your contacts (assuming you used Outlook.com). These contacts have always been restored when I've done a hard reset. I don't know how nice iOS plays with Outlook but you can export your contacts from Outlook and then(maybe?) import them into the iPhone.

I just tried it again to be sure and if you select manage contacts>Export to Outlook.com and other services it will create a .csv file which you can save to your pc. I'm guessing here but iOS "should" import that file.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The down side with the .csv import is that the first 0 is missed off all numbers from your contacts.. that is a huge pain in the backside hence why I suggested the 520 route :p. However I'm not sure if that is still the case with the latest version of ios since I'm not an Iphone user.

Also the other alternative would probably adding your outlook.com account to your iphone to sync contacts, However. I am not sure how you would transfer your text messages

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
IN outlook.com on my pc, I can only see Skype contacts under messaging. I don't really use Skype so there are not many there. On my windows phone, there are many more contacts, and these are the ones that I text message and would need available on another device. thanks.

Make sure to save all your contacts to Outlook and not local storage on the phone. This way they are available on all the devices you would use. As for the test messages I am pretty sure getting them over to an iPhone is not possible.

I recently was without my 1520 while the screen was being repaired. I pulled out my old Samsung Ativ S and within 30 minutes I was back up with everything including text message history. If you get yourself a cheap 520 or other Windows Phone device this will work for you as well.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Make sure to save all your contacts to Outlook and not local storage on the phone. This way they are available on all the devices you would use. As for the test messages I am pretty sure getting them over to an iPhone is not possible.

I recently was without my 1520 while the screen was being repaired. I pulled out my old Samsung Ativ S and within 30 minutes I was back up with everything including text message history. If you get yourself a cheap 520 or other Windows Phone device this will work for you as well.
Yeah, I'd second a 520 or something similar. I picked up an AT&T 520 GoPhone for $39.00 from Amazon.

Madam ImAdam

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I looked at the Lumia 635 while I was at the AT&T store having my new sim card activated with my Lumia 1520 phone number in my old iPhone. I thought it looked great, but at $99, thought it wasn't a good idea for my temporary needs. So I was able to restore a year-old backup to my iPhone 4 and was able to add my Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook and work email accounts and synchronize my contacts quite easily. However, my text message history begins from about a year ago, and I was not able to figure out a way to get the messages from my Lumia.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking forward to getting my Nokia back.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hope you get your Nokia back pretty quick, yeah transferring text messages are a pain shame MS removed Messaging History from outlook.com. If only Ios, Android and Windows Phone shared common transfer applications life would be so much easier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos