New security threat. Is WP vulnerable?

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Your cellphone goes by a certain code that your phone looks for and it is encrypted when transmitted from a cell tower. Unless the phoney tower is actually transmitting that code, it will be ignored, also the fact someone can actually put up a phoney cell site without causing inteference is laughable at best.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Your cellphone goes by a certain code that your phone looks for and it is encrypted when transmitted from a cell tower. Unless the phoney tower is actually transmitting that code, it will be ignored, also the fact someone can actually put up a phoney cell site without causing inteference is laughable at best.

Clearly, you've never been to Wyoming. ;-)

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Your cellphone goes by a certain code that your phone looks for and it is encrypted when transmitted from a cell tower. Unless the phoney tower is actually transmitting that code, it will be ignored, also the fact someone can actually put up a phoney cell site without causing interference is laughable at best.

Judging by your answer it is very clear that you have no idea how mobile phone towers work.

These towers have been used by law enforcement for years now, they are nothing new. And yes, ALL phone brands are vulnerable. The signal is intercepted at the tower. It doesn't matter what the make / brand of the phone is.

Stingray, the fake cell phone tower cops and carriers use to track your every move | ExtremeTech
FBI's Warrantless Searches Now Include Fake Cell Towers

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Very simply, everyone can fall prey. Encryption in calls lasts until it hits the cell tower then become decrypted. So, when your signal hits the fake tower, it is no long encrypted.

Also, I was listening to a tech show which brought up another point. The 2g is apparently never encrypted. So, these take towers can block 4g and 3G signals forcing your phone to use 2g.

Lastly, the same show mentioned how these towers can be used to change your phone's baseband firmware without you knowing.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
It's not actually Microsoft's fault. This, my friends, is a flaw in the way cellphone communication is built, yet, such flaws are normally fixed over generations (3G, 4G, etc). For that reason it's advisable to use 3G when possible. Not only for the speed boost but for the security that goes along with it :)

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It's not actually Microsoft's fault. This, my friends, is a flaw in the way cellphone communication is built, yet, such flaws are normally fixed over generations (3G, 4G, etc). For that reason it's advisable to use 3G when possible. Not only for the speed boost but for the security that goes along with it :)

If that's the case, why shouldn't we use 4G or LTE or XLTE? Why "3G when possible"?

EndOfRope

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
my opinion is that a virus scanner would not make sense for the WP platform now. However, a firewall could be helpful. It could control the apps and how they connect to their home server.
More important for me would be to control with a firewall if someone from outside, like a fake base station, is connecting to my phone.
The vulnerabilities of old SIM cards has been shown long ago. I think the insecure DES algorithm is more used in GSM networks so they try to force your phone to that standard.
On PC?s a firewall is essential and it would enhance the security level for WP a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb