Lumia denim for preview for developers

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Firmware needs carrier approval. Firmware can alter reception.

Except you can buy unbranded unlocked phones which means even that excuse if false. Here in Europe, for example, our phones only get carrier approval IF you buy them from a carrier in which case the phone will come with a carrier software branding (example: I use my phones with Deutsche Telekom's software branding because their version comes with a dark grey accent colour). If you buy them at normal tech outlets like Fnac, MediaMarkt, Saturn etc, the phones come with factory firmware.

So Microsoft could absolutely release the firmware to the DP. If anything, they would only deliver it to people with unbranded phones, but it's possible. They don't do it because they don't want to.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Except you can buy unbranded unlocked phones which means even that excuse if false. Here in Europe, for example, our phones only get carrier approval IF you buy them from a carrier in which case the phone will come with a carrier software branding (example: I use my phones with Deutsche Telekom's software branding because their version comes with a dark grey accent colour). If you buy them at normal tech outlets like Fnac, MediaMarkt, Saturn etc, the phones come with factory firmware.

So Microsoft could absolutely release the firmware to the DP. If anything, they would only deliver it to people with unbranded phones, but it's possible. They don't do it because they don't want to.

No it doesn't. Carriers aren't responsible for the phone if you aren't using their official software or you're using a "Bring Your Own Device".

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No it doesn't. Carriers aren't responsible for the phone if you aren't using their official software or you're using a "Bring Your Own Device".

Which of these parts in the comment didn't you understand: "you can buy unbranded unlocked phones (...) If you buy them at normal tech outlets like Fnac, MediaMarkt, Saturn etc, the phones come with factory firmware."?

Welcome to the rest of the World, where we all use the same spectre of bands (unlike the US) and carriers matter for nothing more than providing you with the call service.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Which of these parts in the comment didn't you understand: "you can buy unbranded unlocked phones (...) If you buy them at normal tech outlets like Fnac, MediaMarkt, Saturn etc, the phones come with factory firmware."?

Welcome to the rest of the World, where we all use the same spectre of bands (unlike the US) and carriers matter for nothing more than providing you with the call service.

You must not have understood my reply at all... Carriers are not responsible for phones without official firmware.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Those who are running Dev Preview are still waiting... No cyan yet unless we want to lose our game progress and live folders rolling back to 8.0 sans DP.

Oh ok.. I apologize as I misunderstood.

I actually had to downgrade my 1520 and then upgrade back to 8.1 for the cyan update. I didn't realize they were still blocking updates to those on the Dev Preview. I never updated my wife's 820 using the Dev Preview program so it just updated to cyan without any issues.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You must not have understood my reply at all... Carriers are not responsible for phones without official firmware.

Maybe not. The way you stated it sounds like you think firmware requires carriers. The fact is, carriers could not exist and firmware would still exist.
Phones with carrier software, sure, those need the firmware approved. But Microsoft can easily solve that by releasing the firmware only for phones running CVs because there are tons of phones that have no carrier interference or software in them.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe not. The way you stated it sounds like you think firmware requires carriers. The fact is, carriers could not exist and firmware would still exist.
Phones with carrier software, sure, those need the firmware approved. But Microsoft can easily solve that by releasing the firmware only for phones running CVs because there are tons of phones that have no carrier interference or software in them.

It doesn't even matter. Do you think Microsoft would ever release it to just certain phones? No.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't even matter. Do you think Microsoft would ever release it to just certain phones? No.

Yes. I actually think that's exactly the kind of thing Microsoft would do.
Because they already did. For example, I got Cyan on my Deutsche Telekom DP 920 without rolling back but I haven't got it on my Deutsche Telekom 1020.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I actually think that's exactly the kind of thing Microsoft would do.
Because they already did. For example, I got Cyan on my Deutsche Telekom DP 920 without rolling back but I haven't got it on my Deutsche Telekom 1020.

Not from the Dev Preview... Come on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234