"Hey Cortana" sensorcore or Snapdragon 8**?

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday, Wpcentral reported that snapdragon 800+ chipset enabled devices will be able to access"Hey Cortana" but on other hand Nokia official page is reporting that sensorcore enabled device will be able to access. Now i am totally confused because Lumia 630 also support sensorcore.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
If I am not wrong, SensorCore has nothing to do with this, it is meant for low power motion detection, not low power voice detection.

This feature will only be available for devices with Snapdragon 800 processors.

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually sensorcore is a technology which can run under lock and not affect on your battery too much. That's why sensorcore is an important hardware for "hey Cortana".

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually sensorcore is a technology which can run under lock and not affect on your battery too much. That's why sensorcore is an important hardware for "hey Cortana".

That is incorrect. SensorCore is the name of an SDK that allows apps to track fitness related activities (Step Counter, Activity Monitor, Place Monitor, Route Tracker) with minimal impact to battery life. It has absolutely nothing to do with always-on-listening that requires a low power DSP to be a part of the hardware package.

I'd like to see that page you mentioned over at Nokia. Got a link? If they really are saying SensorCore = always-on-listening, that would be wrong.

Vicky Krishnatrai

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
That is incorrect. SensorCore is the name of an SDK that allows apps to track fitness related activities (Step Counter, Activity Monitor, Place Monitor, Route Tracker) with minimal impact to battery life. It has absolutely nothing to do with always-on-listening that requires a low power DSP to be a part of the hardware package.

I'd like to see that page you mentioned over at Nokia. Got a link? If they really are saying SensorCore = always-on-listening, that would be wrong.
Ohk I can admin that sensorcore Is a sdk but hey cortana will work on this and here is the link. http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/09/04/lumia-denim-update/

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Ohk I can admin that sensorcore Is a sdk but hey cortana will work on this and here is the link. Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Conversations

Well, thanks for the link!

After looking into this, it appears they have extended their SensorCore SDK so as to include access to the low-power always-on DSP. That is after all just another sensor, so it makes sense. But still, I think that web page is misleading, because the SDK itself can't do anything if the required sensors aren't available on your hardware platform.

If your device has no motion sensor, then the SensorCore SDK can't do step counting. Similarly, if your device has no low-power always-on DSP, it can't handle remote voice activation. At least currently, the SD80x series are the only Qualcomm SoCs that include the necessary hardware.

So, to get back to your original question, this time with more information than I had going in, I'd say it requires both.

For remote voice activation to work, you don't need SensorCore OR SD80x, but you do need SensorCore AND SD80x.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, thanks for the link!

After looking into this, it appears they have extended their SensorCore SDK so as to include access to the low-power always-on DSP. That is after all just another sensor, so it makes sense. But still, I think that web page is misleading, because the SDK itself can't do anything if the required sensors aren't available on your hardware platform.

If your device has no motion sensor, then the SensorCore SDK can't do step counting. Similarly, if your device has no low-power always-on DSP, it can't handle remote voice activation. At least currently, the SD80x series are the only Qualcomm SoCs that include the necessary hardware.

So, to get back to your original question, this time with more information than I had going in, I'd say it requires both.

For remote voice activation to work, you don't need SensorCore OR SD80x, but you do need SensorCore AND SD80x.

Hey A5cent I had a question, the low power motion detection that is part of SensorCore is that dedicated hardware put in Lumia 630, 635, 930, 1520 and Icon or do all Snapdragon 800 devices have it?

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey A5cent I had a question, the low power motion detection that is part of SensorCore is that dedicated hardware put in Lumia 630, 635, 930, 1520 and Icon or do all Snapdragon 800 devices have it?
From the sounds of it, it's dedicated hardware built into all new Lumia devices (i.e. 63x, 73x, 830, 930, 1520), but Snapdragon 80x devices have *that* as well as low-power-always-on DSP (thus enabling "hey Cortana")

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium