09-05-2014 01:16 PM
46 12
tools
    It gets even worse if one "must" use a T-Mobile branded phone in order to have Wifi Calling. Nothing since the now end-of-life 925, nothing on the horizon. Oh, yes, I know, the 635 is really nice, true. But it's low end, no camera flash just for starters. And looking at what this site has as coming down the pike, nothing I would want (camera button, anyone? I LOVE that feature!) even if TMO brands one of them.

Fortunately, I'm not a person who has to have the latest and greatest, so maybe MS and TMO will surprise me in the next year or two. But I'm truly not expecting a pleasant surprise. As much as I love WP, eventually I guess I'll be stuck with Android. (Which every TM model since 2.2.2 Froyo has WFC. Every. Single. One. TM couldn't even both putting it on the 810, but did so on the bottom end 521 post-release. Grrrrrr......)
    09-05-2014 08:45 AM
    I think that too....
    09-05-2014 08:52 AM
    It gets even worse if one "must" use a T-Mobile branded phone in order to have Wifi Calling. Nothing since the now end-of-life 925, nothing on the horizon. Oh, yes, I know, the 635 is really nice, true. But it's low end, no camera flash just for starters. And looking at what this site has as coming down the pike, nothing I would want (camera button, anyone? I LOVE that feature!) even if TMO brands one of them.

Fortunately, I'm not a person who has to have the latest and greatest, so maybe MS and TMO will surprise me in the next year or two. But I'm truly not expecting a pleasant surprise. As much as I love WP, eventually I guess I'll be stuck with Android. (Which every TM model since 2.2.2 Froyo has WFC. Every. Single. One. TM couldn't even both putting it on the 810, but did so on the bottom end 521 post-release. Grrrrrr......)
    Sounds like the problem is the carrier, not the OS.
    09-05-2014 08:59 AM
    couple of points :
    • $$$ talks ... infer what you will
    • Android OS (no matter how highly spec'd) will lag eventually - it DOES deteriorate over time
    • Windows phone does NOT suffer from the same affliction - they run very smoothly w/o high end specs
    • WITH high end specs, after 3 months (side by side w Android) it'll smoke the Android device - as far as performance

I have allegorical proof of my contentions. The issue is everybody buys Android, because everybody buys Android, if you understand that last comment. Most Android owners (75%) don't know much about their device, take the default settings, then go on about their way - until the phone slows to a crawl. Hats off to Samsung (et al), it cycles itself into new devices, as the existing device's specs get outdated.

However, most people don't realize with a bit of maintenance, that same Android could run as fast as the day you got it ! Windows does NOT require the same level of maintenance to continue to run smooth as butter. ...and some of the issues w people on this forum are directly attributable to non-optimized apps (in Dev Preview devices).

I could go on ... but, TLDR
    dKp1977 and ykcu7 like this.
    09-05-2014 09:22 AM
    yes, i agree the 730/830 is a disaster in my opinion. Microsoft has confirmed for me that they arent willing to battle out the high end phone market, stick low-mid range with devices that do nothing original. Im pretty disappointing, i thoroughly enjoy my 1020 but will be moving away from WP for a LONG TIME once my contract is up or if by chance the iPhone 6 is as stellar as hype is making it...or some special cheaper Android phone comes along (Moto X NEW looks too similar to predecessor, was waiting on it).

These models will maybe do well in europe or other places outside of North America...but here we like the high end tech...even if it isnt NEEDED for WP to run smoothly. iPhone 6 isnt high end tech either...but Apple gets all the quality apps and doesnt suffer from the horrible battery (my 5S would go 2 days on idle).
    09-05-2014 09:28 AM
    It gets even worse if one "must" use a T-Mobile branded phone in order to have Wifi Calling.
    Wi-Fi calling is a proprietary technology to T-Mobile's own implementation (to supplement their almost non-existent cell coverage). Of course only T-Mobile branded phone will have this feature.
    09-05-2014 09:34 AM
    It gets even worse if one "must" use a T-Mobile branded phone in order to have Wifi Calling. Nothing since the now end-of-life 925, nothing on the horizon
    Uh T-Mobile makes wi-fi calling possible. A phone can NOT do that. They provide the servers that send your voice out over phone lines and the other party's back into your phone. It's a proprietary form of VoIP that uses the WiFi network you provide since they can't use their own data because their whole point is for when their OTA signal is weak.

Also, FWIW T-Mobile has the HTC flagship in the pipeline.
    09-05-2014 09:37 AM
    On the other hand, when I had vacation in China this summer, we found out that majority of Google services are not working due to government there actively blocking almost all Google services. So, Android phones my kid use are almost worthless piece of junk over there. The Sony Android phone my friend bought there targeted for China market has no Google Play store or other Google services at all. So, it seems in the world's biggest mobile market, Android is now effective a dead end there. I can't help but think Microsoft has a big opportunity for them to take the market vacuum and thrive.
    09-05-2014 09:39 AM
    On the other hand, when I had vacation in China this summer, we found out that majority of Google services are not working due to government there actively blocking almost all Google services. So, Android phones my kid use are almost worthless piece of junk over there. The Sony Android phone my friend bought there targeted for China market has no Google Play store or other Google services at all. So, it seems in the world's biggest mobile market, Android is now effective a dead end there. I can't help but think Microsoft has a big opportunity for them to take the market vacuum and thrive.
    Android holds around 80% market share in a country with 1.3 billion people, are you seriously calling this a "dead end"?

The Chinese market is a big headache for Microsoft and I see no reason why that would change any time soon.
    D M C likes this.
    09-05-2014 10:03 AM
    couple of points :
    • $$$ talks ... infer what you will
    • Android OS (no matter how highly spec'd) will lag eventually - it DOES deteriorate over time
    • Windows phone does NOT suffer from the same affliction - they run very smoothly w/o high end specs
    • WITH high end specs, after 3 months (side by side w Android) it'll smoke the Android device - as far as performance

I have allegorical proof of my contentions. The issue is everybody buys Android, because everybody buys Android, if you understand that last comment. Most Android owners (75%) don't know much about their device, take the default settings, then go on about their way - until the phone slows to a crawl. Hats off to Samsung (et al), it cycles itself into new devices, as the existing device's specs get outdated.

However, most people don't realize with a bit of maintenance, that same Android could run as fast as the day you got it ! Windows does NOT require the same level of maintenance to continue to run smooth as butter. ...and some of the issues w people on this forum are directly attributable to non-optimized apps (in Dev Preview devices).

I could go on ... but, TLDR
    Agreed on all points here. I cam into this windows phone thing without any previous "fanboy" beliefs or any of that stuff. I messed with everything out there and settled on WP for the simple reason that its a smooth running phone(Lumia 520) and the price was awesome. We are thrilled with our phones and service. Android devices are NO doubt bloat-a-thons that never stop updating & focking around in the background. I have an iPad Air and love iOS but no-contract Apple phones cost WAY too much and we dont do contracts.

So, that left WP which has been a pleasant surprise. The hardware and software work great together...dare I say a little like Apple stuff?
    09-05-2014 10:08 AM
    Android holds around 80% market share in a country with 1.3 billion people, are you seriously calling this a "dead end"?

The Chinese market is a big headache for Microsoft and I see no reason why that would change any time soon.
    Android without Google services (gmail not working most of the time we were there) or Play Store is just a paper weight. Yes, it was pretty popular before and most Google services did work a year ago.
    09-05-2014 10:08 AM
    Android without Google services (gmail not working most of the time we were there) or Play Store is just a paper weight. Yes, it was pretty popular before and most Google services did work a year ago.
    Well, the point is that most Chinese I know (maybe except for some living in Hong Kong) don't use Gmail at all. Neither do they use WhatsApp or Facebook, they have all kind of different services there.
    09-05-2014 10:15 AM
    Complain about lack of high end features from a not high end phone.... Sounds logical. Also, Chinese manufacturers always undercuts the more established brand names.
    09-05-2014 10:26 AM
    So, the way I see it in US, when smartphones cost you $600 to 700/each, suddenly those high end phones no longer look so attractive any more compared to when they were $200 to 300 /each when subsidized. So, MS is on the right track to put its focus on low to mid range phones instead of pursuing pure high end specs.
    I think this nails it pretty well. I'd add most people don't care much about specs as most people here do. Your average consumer isn't asking "what's the processor in this phone?" They want to know about the camera, apps and price.
    09-05-2014 11:47 AM
    I wouldn't call it a disaster. Not 730 at least. It only missed out on glance which is sad but certainly not a disaster.
    830 did turn off many people here and who knows how many else. And judging by the attitude of many people here, MS/MS mobile knows what they are doing and if they can afford to miss out on market like that because of these omissions or overprice, then who are we to critique them?
    09-05-2014 11:51 AM
    Glad we have such expert analysts here on Whiners Phone Central to let us know these things.....

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
    You sir just took the worlds out of my mouth. Thank you. :)
    colinkiama and theefman like this.
    09-05-2014 12:29 PM
    Thats not true. And both the 730 and 830 dont have a OLED screen.
    The 730 does have OLED(not the same as AMOLED) that is why there is no glance.
    09-05-2014 12:46 PM
    Then why dont use a NLED ?
    09-05-2014 01:08 PM
    I wouldn't call it a disaster. Not 730 at least. It only missed out on glance which is sad but certainly not a disaster.
    830 did turn off many people here and who knows how many else. And judging by the attitude of many people here, MS/MS mobile knows what they are doing and if they can afford to miss out on market like that because of these omissions or overprice, then who are we to critique them?
    Agreed 100%.
    The only thing I would add is that people were expecting a SD800 CPU and a better GPU and a 20MP camera in the 830 at which point it would no longer be a 330 Euro device and almost a 930. For posterity let's compare the 830 to the 925. I think the GPU on the 830 is better, the SoC may be lower but it is a quad core vs dual core on the 925. So I would say for the money it is a pretty good deal. Here is a comparison of all the three devices and in the right context, I don't think the 830 is a bad device.

Nokia Lumia 830 vs Nokia Lumia 925 vs Nokia Lumia 930 - Phone specs comparison
    eric12341 and DoctorSaline like this.
    09-05-2014 01:12 PM
    Then why dont use a NLED ?
    Because it's more expensive. Do you not understand what "affordable" high end means?
    This thread is going nowhere so off to the junkyard it goes.
    gwinegarden likes this.
46 12