The Windows Phone hardware disaster is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
So now we have it, the 730/830 are both badly designed...

The 730 has no Glance, why is a mystery. It has a 5MP FF camera but who needs that, its a niche device...nothing more !
The 830 is way to expensive for what you get, a SD400 CPU (the same like in the 630 !), only a 1MP FF Camera and only a 720p screen.

Just look at that:
630 730 830 all have the same CPU !
630 730 930 = no Glance
830 = Glance
630 no FF Camera
730 = 5MP FF Camera
830 1MP FF Camera

My brain hurts just by looking at it !
They remove and add features like they are on some bad pills, what the point of that ?
Higher number = more expensive = more features...it could be that easy, but not in MS/Nokia country !

Just look at the competition using the already much more popular Android OS !
A example:
Huawei Ascend P7

5,00 Zoll 1.080?1.920, 441 ppi IPS
Notification LED
HiSilicon Kirin 910T 1,80 GHz, 4 Core
2GB RAM
16 GB internal
Camera 13,0 MP, 1080p LED
FF Camera 8,0 MP, 1080p
LTE
Micro-USB 2.0, MHL, NFC
Battery 2.500 mAh

And all that (+ its a Android device) for only 300? !!

If you are not a die hard WP fan (and 99% of the people out there are NOT) why would you buy a 830 ?!
And the Huawei Ascend P7 is just one of the new Android devices that, if you look at the specs and price, beat every WP !

Every sane salesperson will recommend such a device over the 730 or 830 !
Just by looking at the specs and the price every Joe Doe will buy a Huawei Ascend P7 or similar over any WP !

The Windows Phone hardware disaster is here...what were they thinking ?

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
The only people I who I think would purchase a Lumia 830 would be die hard Windows Phone fans, it's not worth the price at all.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Glad we have such expert analysts here on Whiners Phone Central to let us know these things.....

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad we have such expert analysts here on Whiners Phone Central to let us know these things.....

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Well spoken. :) It's getting more and more ridiculous around here. Whatever MS or any other OEM does, it takes about 2 minutes until the first "why XYZ will fail" threads pop up. Wondering why these guys don't try and get a job at Microsoft and let them take advantage of their obvious superior knowledge.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Guys and girls...
Whats your problem ?

In every thread that is critical about WP or new WP hardware it takes 1 sec till the first "dude just switch if you dont like WP" comment pops up.
The point is...i HATE Android and LOVE WP !
But, MS/NOKIA makes it nearly impossible to stay loyal to WP with their mediocre and overpriced hardware.
Look at the Android competition and tell me why ordinary people (who dont care about the OS) should buy a WP ?
They are niche (like the Selfie thing or the 1020) or overpriced (like the 830) or lack features (630/930).

By the way i dont like how WPCentral is always hyping new WP hardware, they never truly put out some critical comments and keep repeating the marketing talk from MS "affordable flagship"

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So now we have it, the 730/830 are both badly designed...

The 730 has no Glance, why is a mystery. It has a 5MP FF camera but who needs that, its a niche device...nothing more !?

Glance: it is very simple to understand: if the phone has OLED screen, no glance as it can potentially cause burn in.

Otherwise, just because you don't see the values in these low to mid end phones, everyone else has to agree. Remember, outside US, most ppl actually have to pay full retail price for a new phone. So, not everyone can afford the super high end phones. Even within US, most carriers are now move to end the phone subsidy plans. For example, I'm now on AT&T's very popular 10GB family share plan which saves me about $50 a month compare to the subsidy plans (or NEXT plans). In exchange, I have to purchase all my future phones at full retail price. Verizon and Sprint all followed suit and offered similar package (T-Mobile is the first to do so).

So, the way I see it in US, when smartphones cost you $600 to 700/each, suddenly those high end phones no longer look so attractive any more compared to when they were $200 to 300 /each when subsidized. So, MS is on the right track to put its focus on low to mid range phones instead of pursuing pure high end specs.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Guys and girls...
Whats your problem ?

In every thread that is critical about WP or new WP hardware it takes 1 sec till the first "dude just switch if you dont like WP" comment pops up.
The point is...i HATE Android and LOVE WP !
But, MS/NOKIA makes it nearly impossible to stay loyal to WP with their mediocre and overpriced hardware.
Look at the Android competition and tell me why ordinary people (who dont care about the OS) should buy a WP ?
They are niche (like the Selfie thing or the 1020) or overpriced (like the 830) or lack features (630/930).

By the way i dont like how WPCentral is always hyping new WP hardware, they never truly put out some critical comments and keep repeating the marketing talk from MS "affordable flagship"

Being critic about what companies do is absolutely okay and encouraged. It always depends on how criticism is put into words. If some of the thread titles you can find in the WPC forums were actual articles on any tech blog, you and everyone else having some common sense would immidiately call them click baiting.

See, while the 830 may not be perfect for you - and me neither - it is still a nice device at a reasonable price point imho.
I think the main reason that WP isn't successful yet is not a lack of variety of devices or the not so state of the art hardware specs. From my experiences sales reps know **** about WP or are even encouraged not to recommend WP devices. I see them sell tons and tons of Droids, mostly Samsung. No matter which sales rep I ever asked about any WP device, they immediately started talking me out of it.

ramyZgHR

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Glance: it is very simple to understand: if the phone has OLED screen, no glance as it can potentially cause burn in.

Otherwise, just because you don't see the values in these low to mid end phones, everyone else has to agree. Remember, outside US, most ppl actually have to pay full retail price for a new phone. So, not everyone can afford the super high end phones. Even within US, most carriers are now move to end the phone subsidy plans. For example, I'm now on AT&T's very popular 10GB family share plan which saves me about $50 a month compare to the subsidy plans (or NEXT plans). In exchange, I have to purchase all my future phones at full retail price. Verizon and Sprint all followed suit and offered similar package (T-Mobile is the first to do so).

So, the way I see it in US, when smartphones cost you $600 to 700/each, suddenly those high end phones no longer look so attractive any more compared to when they were $200 to 300 /each when subsidized. So, MS is on the right track to put its focus on low to mid range phones instead of pursuing pure high end specs.

What about 925? It has amoled and glance. Not that I care about it, I'm jusc corious... Before 930 I had 925 and never used glance. I don't found it unneccecary.

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
From my experiences sales reps now **** about WP or are even encouraged not to recommend WP devices. I see them sell tons and tons of Droids, mostly Samsung. No matter which sales rep I ever asked about any WP device, they immediately started talking me out of it.

And the reason for this is simple...HARDWARE !
Look at what i wrote, how can a salesperson that is not a WP fan recommend a 730 or 830 if you look at the Android competition ?
Fact is, they are correct if they do NOT recommend WP phones, MS and NOKIA makes it easy for them to ignore WP !

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Its actually turning out to be a "Trend" to "Criticize" everything MS/Nokia do in recent days. No one has aksed you(OP) to buy those phones. Yeah, you got a right to comment but does that actually make sense? I guess, No. I wonder how can you compare Huawei with Nokia :-D
Nokia means "Quality" and people do trust its hardware. I think folks like you, should "forecast" weather too (Kidding, Yeah :-D)

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Its actually turning out to be a "Trend" to "Criticize" everything MS/Nokia do in recent days. No one has aksed you(OP) to buy those phones. Yeah, you got a right to comment but does that actually make sense? I guess, No. I wonder how can you compare Huawei with Nokia :-D
Nokia means "Quality" and people do trust its hardware. I think folks like you, should "forecast" weather too (Kidding, Yeah :-D)

Haha quality ?
like the bad hardware buttons and speakers on the 620 ?
Or like the flickering display on their flagship 930 ?

Funny

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And the reason for this is simple...HARDWARE !
Look at what i wrote, how can a salesperson that is not a WP fan recommend a 730 or 830 if you look at the Android competition ?
Fact is, they are correct if they do NOT recommend WP phones, MS and NOKIA makes it easy for them to ignore WP !

Nope, hardware certainly is not the reason. Look, my mom went into a cellphone store like 4 or so months ago and wanted to upgrade her contract. She asked what WP devices were availabe for her to choose from (I talked her into getting one:p ) but the very moment the sales rep heard the words "Windows Phone", he started pointing out how complicated those devices were to use, how insecure and vulnerable to malware the OS is (dafuq? OO ) and so on and on. Now guess what my mom walked out of the store with? A fricking Samung Galaxy S3.. Yes, S3. Not even half a year ago. That's ridicilous.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft puts a lot of thought and research into producing hardware and pricing them appropriately to the features and markets they're targeting - they're not about to expose those metrics any time soon. It's not entirely without possibility that they price it high to start with as people want the new handsets (pricing for demand).

dKp is pointing out that people are often really quick to find and shout about the negatives in something, even if it doesn't affect them personally in any way. If you're not interested in the new handsets, then you don't need to buy one. If you do want them, and don't like the price, then just waiting for a good deal is what many people do.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Haha quality ?
like the bad hardware buttons and speakers on the 620 ?
Or like the flickering display on their flagship 930 ?

Funny

You are being funny, here :)
Just because you read some posts of such issues, you concluded Nokia lacks quality in hardware, that was funny :-D
And, if you had experienced that , then you must be unlucky to have a faulty phone(Guess what, you can always replace those faulty phones with new one).
Nothing is perfect buddy, not even Apple phones(Huawei does not even come into the picture).

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is but not every salesperson is that stupid.
Most know a thing or two about phones.

I say the hardware is the problem.
For the normal guy, spending 400? on a 830 and getting only a 720p screen, 1GB RAM and 10MP camera when he can get 1080p and 2GB RAM and 13MP camera for the same money with the OS he knows and everybody uses is a NoGo

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is but not every salesperson is that stupid.
Most know a thing or two about phones.

I say the hardware is the problem.
For the normal guy, spending 400€ on a 830 and getting only a 720p screen, 1GB RAM and 10MP camera when he can get 1080p and 2GB RAM and 13MP camera for the same money with the OS he knows and everybody uses is a NoGo

In India, you can buy smartphones from other brands like (Lava, Xolo, Karbon) having high end features in heck lot of less price than other recognized brands. You can't guarantee when those phones stop working and guess what most of those don't even have enough service centers. Some have, but you can expect their quality of service!! Its just a matter of Quality and Quantity. If you consider Quality, you will go for good brands like Nokia, Apple and if you are in search of those crappy phones, you can always go for those. As I said, noone is forcing anyone to buy 830/730/735.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05