The Windows Phone hardware disaster is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

altair679

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
And the reason for this is simple...HARDWARE !
Look at what i wrote, how can a salesperson that is not a WP fan recommend a 730 or 830 if you look at the Android competition ?
Fact is, they are correct if they do NOT recommend WP phones, MS and NOKIA makes it easy for them to ignore WP !

Excuse me?!!
Do you mean that all phones should such high end highware so that you would be satisfied?!! Are you really such a badass power user?!!
Every time i use android on high end Samsungs there would always be some lags. It doesn't matter about what hardware they are using(unless its pretty terrible). It depends on the OS. Of how the OS could interact with the users like on IOS. I'm using a windows phone right now,a Lumia 520 to be exact and eventhough it's quite slow, I'm happy with the OS, windows phone 8.1.
I'm proud of Microsoft especially to Joe Belfiore for their hard work on developing such an amazing OS.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is but not every salesperson is that stupid.
Most know a thing or two about phones.

I say the hardware is the problem.
For the normal guy, spending 400€ on a 830 and getting only a 720p screen, 1GB RAM and 10MP camera when he can get 1080p and 2GB RAM and 13MP camera for the same money with the OS he knows and everybody uses is a NoGo

The majority of people neither know what these specs mean, nor do they notice any differences between devices with different specs. Specs are something tech savvy people care about, and tbh, they are overrated. It's more about bragging rights than actual use. Take those 64bit processors for example. There's currently nothing that utilizes them in any useful way. This will change, no doubt, but so far it's nothing more than a compensation for people suffering from inferiour complexes. And last not least, tech savvy people are a tiny minority among smartphone users.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is but not every salesperson is that stupid.
Most know a thing or two about phones.

I say the hardware is the problem.
For the normal guy, spending 400? on a 830 and getting only a 720p screen, 1GB RAM and 10MP camera when he can get 1080p and 2GB RAM and 13MP camera for the same money with the OS he knows and everybody uses is a NoGo
You keep telling yourself that is the hardware. Dude, is evident that you don't like any WP and still saying that you love WP. You are basically contradicting yourself. You said that you hate Android but yet, you go back and mentioned that you can buy a better Android Phone for the same price. You head is confused, just move on dude. If you don't like any hardware from Nokia or any other WP manufacture, it is time for you to switch.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
And the reason for this is simple...HARDWARE !
Look at what i wrote, how can a salesperson that is not a WP fan recommend a 730 or 830 if you look at the Android competition ?
Fact is, they are correct if they do NOT recommend WP phones, MS and NOKIA makes it easy for them to ignore WP !

Dude, you're an ***** if think hardware is the problem for the sales reps. All the sales reps that put WP down, talk about the lack of apps, and features.

While I was hoping for a new flagship this fall. I'm willing to wait for one that launches with Threshold so it's built for the new features/design.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Although I think some of wiggum's points are weak (maybe the weakest around the lack of a notification LED), I believe his central argument is worth examining. I believe that there is a hardware issue for at least the beginning of this cycle. As others have noted in other posts, there is a gap in their high end offerings which could be problematic this cycle, especially in the US. Many early adopters that hopped on the WP7 bandwagon then also purchased a WP8 device, both in 2 year contract cycles. That beings us to the present time where these people will be looking to upgrade this fall. With no offering at the high end, these enthusiasts may choose to wait for a flagship offering, or at worst move to another platform out of desperation. I don't believe the 830 is a flagship even if it's offered in the US and I would hope that MS/Nokia would be able to offer a flagship phone for the Christmas season. The current lineup has a hole in its top end and it's time we at least recognize it.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It gets even worse if one "must" use a T-Mobile branded phone in order to have Wifi Calling. Nothing since the now end-of-life 925, nothing on the horizon. Oh, yes, I know, the 635 is really nice, true. But it's low end, no camera flash just for starters. And looking at what this site has as coming down the pike, nothing I would want (camera button, anyone? I LOVE that feature!) even if TMO brands one of them.

Fortunately, I'm not a person who has to have the latest and greatest, so maybe MS and TMO will surprise me in the next year or two. But I'm truly not expecting a pleasant surprise. As much as I love WP, eventually I guess I'll be stuck with Android. (Which every TM model since 2.2.2 Froyo has WFC. Every. Single. One. TM couldn't even both putting it on the 810, but did so on the bottom end 521 post-release. Grrrrrr......)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It gets even worse if one "must" use a T-Mobile branded phone in order to have Wifi Calling. Nothing since the now end-of-life 925, nothing on the horizon. Oh, yes, I know, the 635 is really nice, true. But it's low end, no camera flash just for starters. And looking at what this site has as coming down the pike, nothing I would want (camera button, anyone? I LOVE that feature!) even if TMO brands one of them.

Fortunately, I'm not a person who has to have the latest and greatest, so maybe MS and TMO will surprise me in the next year or two. But I'm truly not expecting a pleasant surprise. As much as I love WP, eventually I guess I'll be stuck with Android. (Which every TM model since 2.2.2 Froyo has WFC. Every. Single. One. TM couldn't even both putting it on the 810, but did so on the bottom end 521 post-release. Grrrrrr......)

Sounds like the problem is the carrier, not the OS.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
couple of points :
  • $$$ talks ... infer what you will
  • Android OS (no matter how highly spec'd) will lag eventually - it DOES deteriorate over time
  • Windows phone does NOT suffer from the same affliction - they run very smoothly w/o high end specs
  • WITH high end specs, after 3 months (side by side w Android) it'll smoke the Android device - as far as performance

I have allegorical proof of my contentions. The issue is everybody buys Android, because everybody buys Android, if you understand that last comment. Most Android owners (75%) don't know much about their device, take the default settings, then go on about their way - until the phone slows to a crawl. Hats off to Samsung (et al), it cycles itself into new devices, as the existing device's specs get outdated.

However, most people don't realize with a bit of maintenance, that same Android could run as fast as the day you got it ! Windows does NOT require the same level of maintenance to continue to run smooth as butter. ...and some of the issues w people on this forum are directly attributable to non-optimized apps (in Dev Preview devices).

I could go on ... but, TLDR

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
yes, i agree the 730/830 is a disaster in my opinion. Microsoft has confirmed for me that they arent willing to battle out the high end phone market, stick low-mid range with devices that do nothing original. Im pretty disappointing, i thoroughly enjoy my 1020 but will be moving away from WP for a LONG TIME once my contract is up or if by chance the iPhone 6 is as stellar as hype is making it...or some special cheaper Android phone comes along (Moto X NEW looks too similar to predecessor, was waiting on it).

These models will maybe do well in europe or other places outside of North America...but here we like the high end tech...even if it isnt NEEDED for WP to run smoothly. iPhone 6 isnt high end tech either...but Apple gets all the quality apps and doesnt suffer from the horrible battery (my 5S would go 2 days on idle).

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It gets even worse if one "must" use a T-Mobile branded phone in order to have Wifi Calling.
Wi-Fi calling is a proprietary technology to T-Mobile's own implementation (to supplement their almost non-existent cell coverage). Of course only T-Mobile branded phone will have this feature.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
It gets even worse if one "must" use a T-Mobile branded phone in order to have Wifi Calling. Nothing since the now end-of-life 925, nothing on the horizon
Uh T-Mobile makes wi-fi calling possible. A phone can NOT do that. They provide the servers that send your voice out over phone lines and the other party's back into your phone. It's a proprietary form of VoIP that uses the WiFi network you provide since they can't use their own data because their whole point is for when their OTA signal is weak.

Also, FWIW T-Mobile has the HTC flagship in the pipeline.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
On the other hand, when I had vacation in China this summer, we found out that majority of Google services are not working due to government there actively blocking almost all Google services. So, Android phones my kid use are almost worthless piece of junk over there. The Sony Android phone my friend bought there targeted for China market has no Google Play store or other Google services at all. So, it seems in the world's biggest mobile market, Android is now effective a dead end there. I can't help but think Microsoft has a big opportunity for them to take the market vacuum and thrive.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
On the other hand, when I had vacation in China this summer, we found out that majority of Google services are not working due to government there actively blocking almost all Google services. So, Android phones my kid use are almost worthless piece of junk over there. The Sony Android phone my friend bought there targeted for China market has no Google Play store or other Google services at all. So, it seems in the world's biggest mobile market, Android is now effective a dead end there. I can't help but think Microsoft has a big opportunity for them to take the market vacuum and thrive.

Android holds around 80% market share in a country with 1.3 billion people, are you seriously calling this a "dead end"?

The Chinese market is a big headache for Microsoft and I see no reason why that would change any time soon.

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
couple of points :
  • $$$ talks ... infer what you will
  • Android OS (no matter how highly spec'd) will lag eventually - it DOES deteriorate over time
  • Windows phone does NOT suffer from the same affliction - they run very smoothly w/o high end specs
  • WITH high end specs, after 3 months (side by side w Android) it'll smoke the Android device - as far as performance

I have allegorical proof of my contentions. The issue is everybody buys Android, because everybody buys Android, if you understand that last comment. Most Android owners (75%) don't know much about their device, take the default settings, then go on about their way - until the phone slows to a crawl. Hats off to Samsung (et al), it cycles itself into new devices, as the existing device's specs get outdated.

However, most people don't realize with a bit of maintenance, that same Android could run as fast as the day you got it ! Windows does NOT require the same level of maintenance to continue to run smooth as butter. ...and some of the issues w people on this forum are directly attributable to non-optimized apps (in Dev Preview devices).

I could go on ... but, TLDR

Agreed on all points here. I cam into this windows phone thing without any previous "******" beliefs or any of that stuff. I messed with everything out there and settled on WP for the simple reason that its a smooth running phone(Lumia 520) and the price was awesome. We are thrilled with our phones and service. Android devices are NO doubt bloat-a-thons that never stop updating & focking around in the background. I have an iPad Air and love iOS but no-contract Apple phones cost WAY too much and we dont do contracts.

So, that left WP which has been a pleasant surprise. The hardware and software work great together...dare I say a little like Apple stuff? :wink:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Android holds around 80% market share in a country with 1.3 billion people, are you seriously calling this a "dead end"?

The Chinese market is a big headache for Microsoft and I see no reason why that would change any time soon.

Android without Google services (gmail not working most of the time we were there) or Play Store is just a paper weight. Yes, it was pretty popular before and most Google services did work a year ago.

anon(8985111)

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Android without Google services (gmail not working most of the time we were there) or Play Store is just a paper weight. Yes, it was pretty popular before and most Google services did work a year ago.

Well, the point is that most Chinese I know (maybe except for some living in Hong Kong) don't use Gmail at all. Neither do they use WhatsApp or Facebook, they have all kind of different services there.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Complain about lack of high end features from a not high end phone.... Sounds logical. Also, Chinese manufacturers always undercuts the more established brand names.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
So, the way I see it in US, when smartphones cost you $600 to 700/each, suddenly those high end phones no longer look so attractive any more compared to when they were $200 to 300 /each when subsidized. So, MS is on the right track to put its focus on low to mid range phones instead of pursuing pure high end specs.

I think this nails it pretty well. I'd add most people don't care much about specs as most people here do. Your average consumer isn't asking "what's the processor in this phone?" They want to know about the camera, apps and price.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a disaster. Not 730 at least. It only missed out on glance which is sad but certainly not a disaster.
830 did turn off many people here and who knows how many else. And judging by the attitude of many people here, MS/MS mobile knows what they are doing and if they can afford to miss out on market like that because of these omissions or overprice, then who are we to critique them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro