Which Windows Phone 8.1 should I buy or wait for?

Eric Gagnon

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently using an iPhone 4S so I'm more than overdue for a new device. Since most of my stuff is on Microsoft ecosystem (I've got Xbox360, Xbox One, Surface Pro and multiple computers on Windows 8.1), I'd like to switch my phone to a Windows Phone but I don't know them much.

Also, since the release of the Lumia 1020, I've failed to find a WP phone that was appealing to me and the Lumia 1020 is starting to be outdated compared to the new upcoming iPhone and the latest Samsung Galaxy (I don't want to start a war there, it's just that the new phone are more performant).

What is important to me:
  • Relatively good camera (doesn't need to be as good as the Lumia 1020 though let's say better than the one on the iPhone 5S)
  • Good battery life (a least a day of average use: mostly emails, calendar, social networks)
  • Good fitness sensors/connectivity
  • Durability (at least as solid as the iPhone 4S)
  • Performance (At least close to the performance of the latest Galaxy or the upcoming iPhone 6)

Again, I don't want to start a war, but so far I'm planning to buy an iPhone 6 about a month after their release unless you can help me fall in love with a WP device that suits my need.

Thanks for your help!

Eric

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!! LOVE it when someone actually gives us what he wants in a device at the beginning of the thread. Makes it so much easier to help!!

Only one more bit of information: Are you carrier specific due to preference or because of price/reception in your area? Want your phone unlocked?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
From what you've stated, coming from a 1020 user whom had an iPhone 5S prior, I think the only WP that can meet all your requirements is a 1520. The only thing you'd have to investigate more on is the health fitness functionality compared to what iPhone and android offer.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Theres really only 3 you can choose between at this point.

The Lumia 1520 (its a massive 6" phablet though, huge battery for long life, and SD card for extra storage. Snapdragon 800 is still a top dog processor. Ignore everyone about its '1 year old tech'. They fail to recognize the newer snapdragon 801 which is a faster VARIANT of the 800 is still that same 1 year old processor)

Lumia 930/Icon. Icon for Verizon, 930 (without LTE, The 930 doesn't have the US LTE bands since its a non-US device) for everyone else. Its basically a smaller 1520 in a more compact size (5" screen) just a tad taller than a 1020, almost the same width. You lose SD card (32gb built in storage), smaller battery (should last at 15hrs at least with light use, but mileage varies), no glance screen (a Lumia only feature, you never had it on iPhone so you wont miss it but you wont know if it'll become a deal breaker unless you use it). Same internals.

HTC One M8 for windows. Pretty much the same thing as the android version, only running windows. Same pros and cons.

tvelsberg

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
You might be interested visiting Paul Thurrott's winsupersite.com. You will find extensive reviews for most windows phone (and more)...

Eric Gagnon

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
snowmutt: I'm not carrier specific, however I'm in Qu?bec, Canada so I'm pretty much limited to Rogers, Telus and Bell. I'm currently with Rogers so I'd like to stay with them but my contract ends in 1 month so I'm not limited to it. I don't need the phone to be unlocked.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you get the Nokia Lumia ICON/929/930 ?

Best camera besides the 1020 with out the bulk, Nice phone has pretty much everything you want... and the camera is epic....coming soon 4K video recording too (Denim update due in a month or so)...

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
snowmutt: I'm not carrier specific, however I'm in Qu?bec, Canada so I'm pretty much limited to Rogers, Telus and Bell. I'm currently with Rogers so I'd like to stay with them but my contract ends in 1 month so I'm not limited to it. I don't need the phone to be unlocked.

Which, if I'm not mistaken, means you potentially have UMA, what T-Mobile calls Wifi Calling on their branded phones. If this is important to you, you need to stick to Rogers branded devices.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
After cruising the selections of Bell, Telus, and Rogers- I am hard pressed to suggest anything at this time. Rogers has the L1020, and Bell has the Ativ S. Telus only has low budget L630. No L1520, not a L930. Heck, not even a Samsung ATIV SE is out there.

My suggestion: Give it a few months. There are some decent (L830) and really promising (HTC M8 for Windows) devices getting released. I would not suggest any of what is out there based on your needs.

The L1020 is still a very good phone and an excellent shooter, but you stated you were only so-so interested in it at this time which is fair. They are asking a lot of money for older devices.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Being in Canada sucks major since we have nothing for high end WP devices other than the long in the tooth 1020. Anything better than that has to be bought elsewhere.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3