Group Thread Messaging Issue After Updating to 8.1

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Device: Lumia 1520
Provider: AT&T

Never had this issue before updating to 8.1, but on the exact same day I updated and restarted after updating some apps, I started to experience the following issue.

1. I reply to an existing group thread.
  2. When I get a response text from a recipient in that group thread, a new group conversation is created with my own number as "extra" recipient (whereas in a normal situation, your own number/name does not appear in the group thread's header).
  3. If I reply in this new thread, the conversation's participants will receive the text but I will also get a copy.

Please see below for some reference screenshots.

wp_ss_20140908_0001.jpg

wp_ss_20140908_0002.png

What is most annoying about the issue is that it is incredibly sporadic. One thing is certain, it returns upon a phone restart. If random troubleshooting (turning off group messaging, deleting old group threads, restarting, turning off data connection, restarting data/group messaging) somehow makes it work normally again, it will last that way until I restart my phone.

It seems like this same issue is described on forum threads "Group Texting Errors? 1520 Dev Preview 8.1.1" and "1520.3 Group SMS Bug" (sorry, I don't have enough posts to embed links). I didn't just post there because I have a consumer release of the Lumia 1520 and I have not installed any developer previews on it.

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I've not had that issue. My group texts I receive show up as separate threads, but not with my number.

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
As in you have group messaging off--is that what you mean as showing up as separate threads? Or you're just saying you haven't gotten any group threads (more than one other person in thread) with your number as well? May I ask, what provider and phone model you have?

k72

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
As in you have group messaging off--is that what you mean as showing up as separate threads? Or you're just saying you haven't gotten any group threads (more than one other person in thread) with your number as well? May I ask, what provider and phone model you have?

I checked the settings and it is off, but when I've received replies from group texts, my number doesn't show up anywhere or anything odd. I'm not sure if that helps. Group texts have always baffled me a bit.
I have a 635 on T-Mobile.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife is having this problem! Exactly what you say. Her number appears in the group thread and she gets a copy of her own text when she replies to the group thread. I saw somewhere that if you add your number in the people hub, that'll fix the problem but it didn't for us. She has a 635 on AT&T. I'll keep searching!

albertico

May 15, 2012
Visit site
The above fix worked for me!!

I was getting notified of replies and then they just stopped, sorry for my delayed response! But yeah, that's where I ended up finding a temporary fix. I found that I have to delete ALL of my group threads, turn off group messaging, turn off Data connection, power off, power back on and re-enable both group messaging and Data--this appears to fix the issue. However, the issue will return if the phone is restarted. I was hoping someone at Microsoft would run into this post (or any of the others, like the one you linked) and get them on a solution to this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss