Want NFC Payment on WP8.1?

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Then vote here:
Enable NFC Mobile Payment with Visa Token Service ?€“ Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

One of the technology behind Apple pay is just a consolidation of Visa's contact payment system. Luckily, Visa is opening it up through an set of APIs and available SDKs for merchants, mobile device manufacturer, and several other types of entities to implement this for of payment for their systems. This means that Microsoft could implement NFC visa payments themselves instead of waiting on Visa to bring it to WP8 (Visa claims it's coming to all major platforms but who knows how long it'll take).

This probably still needs a secure SIM to work and may only be limited to Visa initially and it may not be ubiquitous until more NFC terminals roll out but if we can demonstrate a demand for this feature, hopefully we can at least convince Microsoft to talk to Visa to speed up development.

I know there have been requests on the User Voice site for similar features but this is a request for a specific implementation. This points to an actual available API that works with a very popular card issuer. And with NFC and wallet decoupling in WP8.1, third party extensibility including a third party Microsoft-written app is easy to implement.

Last edited:

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, from what I understand, 3rd party devs have the ability to develop apps that can perform NFC payments and as well as integrate with the Wallet app but the issue is no one has stepped up to do so. The expectation for Isis or Softcard (whatever they're called now) that's favored by the large carriers was supposed to create an app to enable NFC payments so long as you have a secure SIM... unfortunately that still hasn't happened. And since this deals with money, we can pretty much rule out outside parties from developing an app on their behalf. This is why the Visa token service is a small glimmer of hope. The ability to extend NFC and Wallet is there, and with an available API maybe at least Visa card users can finally get NFC payments (and soon).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why Microsoft can't do what Google and Apple did and eliminate the need for a Softcard-compatible SIM. That to me makes the most sense. Suck it up, carriers!

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I wonder why Microsoft can't do what Google and Apple did and eliminate the need for a Softcard-compatible SIM. That to me makes the most sense. Suck it up, carriers!

We're talking about carriers that blocked Google Wallet before Softcard was ready so even if they did, we probably wouldn't get very far. And from what I understand, Apple doesn't need a secure SIM because the secure element is on the device itself. Other smart phones do not have that so they rely on the SIM for a partition of encrypted and secure data. I mean I'm sure it's feasible for Microsoft to do it without the secure element of the Secure SIM but I doubt many institutions would adopt something that seems relatively more vulnerable.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
We're talking about carriers that blocked Google Wallet before Softcard was ready so even if they did, we probably wouldn't get very far. And from what I understand, Apple doesn't need a secure SIM because the secure element is on the device itself. Other smart phones do not have that so they rely on the SIM for a partition of encrypted and secure data. I mean I'm sure it's feasible for Microsoft to do it without the secure element of the Secure SIM but I doubt many institutions would adopt something that seems relatively more vulnerable.

Google did awhile ago what Apple is doing, although not using exactly the same method. Almost all devices running KitKat can use tap and pay (there are a few exceptions because of hardware limitations). With KitKat, Google brought HCE (Host Card Emulation) to Android. From what I understand, this basically uses software for the secure element rather than hardware. Carriers cannot block it.

Here's an interesting Wikipedia page on HCE.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
ISIS/Softcard was the most poorly conceived idea ever produced. FOUR carriers got together and decided they would mandate chips that only THEY could issue.

Hey, are you trying to say that the carriers don't have our best interest in mind???? In my mind the fact that it was conceived by the carriers is reason enough to believe that ISIS (the terrorist organization, not to be confused with the group from the Middle East) is flawed out of the gate.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
even worse since you can turn on tap to pay in the NFC section, but you can't pay for anything :( surprising that no one wants us to spend our money that much faster!

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Google did awhile ago what Apple is doing, although not using exactly the same method. Almost all devices running KitKat can use tap and pay (there are a few exceptions because of hardware limitations). With KitKat, Google brought HCE (Host Card Emulation) to Android. From what I understand, this basically uses software for the secure element rather than hardware. Carriers cannot block it.

Here's an interesting Wikipedia page on HCE.

I was referring to how Verizon blocked google wallet awhile back, not currently (or at least according to what I read at the time). But regarding the secure element business, yes Google went with software implementation but Microsoft decided to go with third party extensibility. I'm hoping this means, theoretically, some NFC payment vendors can do software secure element and others that want physical implementation like Secure Sim, we can partake in both. While the foresight is great, we're at the mercy of third party participation. That's why I created this UserVoice. We need to be loud and clear about what we want to have any influence. :)

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a NFC enabled Amex. Other than at about 3 stores it's just not usable. A phone would therefore be just as useless.

Step 1 in any NFC payment system is to get a lot more terminals out there. At that point it becomes useful to support it.

Thankfully with the big US push to move away from magnetic strips, as terminals get upgraded quite a few should gain NFC... so in a year or two it may be worth a phone supporting it.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a NFC enabled Amex. Other than at about 3 stores it's just not usable. A phone would therefore be just as useless.

Step 1 in any NFC payment system is to get a lot more terminals out there. At that point it becomes useful to support it.

Thankfully with the big US push to move away from magnetic strips, as terminals get upgraded quite a few should gain NFC... so in a year or two it may be worth a phone supporting it.

I'm aware of the lack of NFC terminals but I'm hoping the Apple-centric tech-media in the US will help push for wider adoption of the tech. While that's going on, we should take advantage of it and get some implementation going so we're not left behind.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I...Microsoft decided to go with third party extensibility...

​I've now linked my PayPal into my Wallet. It draws from my debit card anyway if the PP account is dry. Hopefully that is 3rd party security worthy of enabling Tap-to-Pay. Will test soon and report. PayPal would be very international in recognition so here's hoping...

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
​I've now linked my PayPal into my Wallet. It draws from my debit card anyway if the PP account is dry. Hopefully that is 3rd party security worthy of enabling Tap-to-Pay. Will test soon and report. PayPal would be very international in recognition so here's hoping...

I just played around a bit with the PayPal app. How do you link it to the Wallet app? I didn't see an option to do that.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
i haven't seen it work (had paypal enabled on mine FOREVER) also have other cards saved in it (due to online purchases from microsoft directly) We are at the mercy of the carriers and providers. Softcard STILL says soon.... the same thing they have said since the ICON launched. Problem with softcard is that it only works with American Express, Chase and Wells Fargo. If you have anyone else, you'd have to set up an American Express Serve account and use it kind of like paypal.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I can't get PayPal to link with Wallet. It doesn't even show up on the list of available Wallet integrated apps. And if Softcard is only for Amex, Chase, and Wells Fargo like you say, then we still need to push for this Visa token service since it looks like one implementation won't satisfy everyone. I have a BoA card but it's issued by Visa.

The new Wallet apis for WP8.1 WinRT apps are pretty cool and robust though. I may ping a few companies and ask if I can write the apps for them (unlikely but I can dream can't I? :evil:)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My prediction is that before Softcard is up and running on WP, Microsoft will provide a workaround like Apple & Google did. I think that the very first WP payment via tap to pay will not be via Softcard. In fact, if that's the case, Softcard probably never will be activated on WP.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs