Want NFC Payment on WP8.1?

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Disgusted, look what I just got thru email...
"COMING SOON Enjoy all the benefits and security of your Citi? Card* using Apple Pay™ on the new iPhone? 6. It’s a simple way to pay.
Quick and Easy Payments With Apple Pay, you can use your camera to upload a digital version of your Citi? Card into your iPhone 6 to use at over 200,000 stores and counting. Another way Citi provides quick and easy payments."

Citibank does not even have a WP app, only IOS & Google, and of course they support more from Apple. I emailed them almost weekly regarding WP, no answer...

I'm looking for another bank...

jplumia820

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Disgusted, look what I just got thru email...
"COMING SOON Enjoy all the benefits and security of your Citi? Card* using Apple Pay? on the new iPhone? 6. It?s a simple way to pay.
Quick and Easy Payments With Apple Pay, you can use your camera to upload a digital version of your Citi? Card into your iPhone 6 to use at over 200,000 stores and counting. Another way Citi provides quick and easy payments."

Citibank does not even have a WP app, only IOS & Google, and of course they support more from Apple. I emailed them almost weekly regarding WP, no answer...

I'm looking for another bank...
Got a similar email from chase bank..... Hope they add"apple pay" to windows phone 😠

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got a similar one from Bank of America... At least they have a WP App and I can use mobile deposit.

​I really think the hold up is not the banks... It's the carriers who decided that an additional authentication step is required and they built Isis (now Softcard) to provide that extra authentication layer.

Im_Q

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hence why Apple took the carriers down by creating their own Apple pay. Maybe Microsoft will learn someday.

Not completely true, Apple announced that they're adding support to carrier's mobile payment methods in the future. This is one of the few times Apple is allowing competing technology on their platform and someone pointed out that it may be the carriers pressuring Apple. So if that's the case, if Apple can't force their standards despite carrier's say, then what chance does Microsoft have?

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a 8X on VZW; there is an option in Settings -> NFC to turn on payments. Does VZW offer payment SIMs? I do not understand what is missing to make this work.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Let's be realistic about this.

How long will it be before NFC payments become really useful? Remember, in the US, they don't even have chip technology in their credit cards. How long before point-of-sale devices get rolled out to stores. Sure, you may be able to, eventually, pay for a new TV at Best Buy, but what about the other 99% of stores, etc?

I just can't get all worked up about this. To me, it just Apple and others getting people excited about the future when we don't know when the future is.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Let's be realistic about this.

How long will it be before NFC payments become really useful? Remember, in the US, they don't even have chip technology in their credit cards. How long before point-of-sale devices get rolled out to stores. Sure, you may be able to, eventually, pay for a new TV at Best Buy, but what about the other 99% of stores, etc?

I just can't get all worked up about this. To me, it just Apple and others getting people excited about the future when we don't know when the future is.

I don't think it will never take off, there is no benefit over swiping a card. To the vendors that is.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
The father of one of my daughter's classmates works for one of the largest payment processing companies in the US. I've asked him about smartcard technology, and when it will get here. His answer basically was don't hold your breath. Between the need to totally change out all terminals and ATMs the infrastructure costs alone are astronomical. Hell, the banks won't even upgrade ATMs from XP.

I suspect that other than the few places (Starbucks, etc.) that offer it because it's trendy it's going to take a long time before there is any significant market penetration for NFC payments.

My .02. . .

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The father of one of my daughter's classmates works for one of the largest payment processing companies in the US. I've asked him about smartcard technology, and when it will get here. His answer basically was don't hold your breath. Between the need to totally change out all terminals and ATMs the infrastructure costs alone are astronomical. Hell, the banks won't even upgrade ATMs from XP.

I suspect that other than the few places (Starbucks, etc.) that offer it because it's trendy it's going to take a long time before there is any significant market penetration for NFC payments.

My .02. . .

Agreed. Getting chip technology into the US is taking years. How many people will have new iPhones? How many people have credit cards? Which technology do you think will come first to stores?

In the business, we used to call this 'vapourware'.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that by October 2015 all credit cards in the US will be changed to chip and pin. As a result, there will be a huge influx of new POS terminals at merchants across the country and widespread ability to process NFC payments.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that by October 2015 all credit cards in the US will be changed to chip and pin. As a result, there will be a huge influx of new POS terminals at merchants across the country and widespread ability to process NFC payments.

We shall see...

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily. Depending upon cost, many merchants may not buy in. Chip cards still have a stripe and can be used if the POS terminal is not chip enabled. And who is to say that these new terminals will also support NFC?

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
LOL. I call what you're doing, the "bury my head in the sand" approach. I own and love my Lumia 1520.3 but I also own the iPhone 6+. Let me tell you, paying with ApplePay is a breeze and so much more secure. Apple nailed it. Pick up product. Point. Done. And yes, there are tons of stores scrambling to add NFC terminals now. Why? Because there are millions of Apple users that would ignore your store if they cannot pay that way.
It is just a natural reaction. If I find two stores offering similar services I will gravitate to the one that has NFC readers. I am alone. Of course, as usual, Microsoft and some of its fan will poo poo this until it is too late. And, once again, they will be struggling to play catch up.
I don't know about you but that story is getting old.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
There has to be a reason for venders to adopt these readers. I understand Apple will drive some adoption of mobile pay, but honestly until venders lose sales over not having it I think this is a good idea that will stun people as to how slow adoption of mobile pay well be. If you walk in to a store, pull out an iPhone or Android, or one of the Windows Phones that had I in 2012- and you can't buy your much needed refreshments with your shiny toy, are you walking out without your Mouse tracks Ice cream? Heck no. You are whipping out the debit card EVERYBODY has and buy it anyways. This isn't ignoring the future, this is business.

I am sorry- I realize Apple's influence, but it isn't all knowing or all reaching. Mobile pay will catch on. But everyone thinking merchants are lining up to spend thousands of dollars that they aren't sure will pay off simply because Tim Cook approves isn't paying attention to how business runs.

hbelton

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a secure SIM, installed Softcard on my Lumia 1520.3 only to find out that ATT does not support factory unlocked phone for NFC payments :angry:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a secure SIM, installed Softcard on my Lumia 1520.3 only to find out that ATT does not support factory unlocked phone for NFC payments :angry:

Right... Only branded phones in service with the carrier they are branded to. Looks like how SoftCard is going to play out. Of the 3 carriers in the consortium only AT&T has the app yet. I'm betting Verizon won't ease that restriction and will probably add an extra hoop or 3 to jump through for users (it's just their up-tight way). Based on WiFi calling, I'm also betting T-MoUS will not allow the SoftCard app on unbranded phones on their service either.

I said elsewhere, Google did an end-run around carriers. Apple rammed their system into place and got praised for their overbearing ways... Microsoft needs to address this just in the name of parity. The major players have proven that the carriers need not make the rules in terms of tap-to-pay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs