Attn: Europeans - Does Your Tap To Pay Work?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is this just a US problem. Are we in the dark about NFC transactions.

Can someone use a Windows Phone and built in Wallet to pay via NFC in any European Country?

Help your American cousins figure out what is wrong this side of the pond....

How wide spread is it? Does any card work (debit/credit/branding/bank) so long as it is input into your digital Wallet on your Windows Phone?

Help. Info greatly appreciated.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As far I'm aware it depends on the sim as you need a "secure sim" as the secure element is in the sim and only Orange rolled it out 3 years in partnership with Barclaycard, the rest have started doing trials from Feb this year. I have been asking O2 about this since Feb and I was told around July or so they would roll it out but nothing as of yet.

Weve partners with MasterCard for NFC payments in the UK • NFC World+

Orange newsroom | Orange and Barclaycard transform buying on Britain?s high-streets with the launch of the UK?s first contactless mobile payments service

Now that Apple has jumped into NFC & Mobile payments we should see a greater rate of adoption.

todd7900

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
We shall see, since Apple gets a cut of every transaction, you don't think the bank is going to eat that? It will be interesting to see how much iPhone users are going to have to pay for this "privilege".

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
We shall see, since Apple gets a cut of every transaction, you don't think the bank is going to eat that? It will be interesting to see how much iPhone users are going to have to pay for this "privilege".

When I was referring to adoption, I was referring to the carriers not banks as right now tap & pay has not been picked up despite the tech has been around 4 years +. Carriers are incredibly slow with roll outs and since Apple's approach bypasses the need for secure sims as the element is in the phone itself, this will greatly speed up the process as only Apple has that push it seems.

I was hoping MS would have implemented it onto the phone and have no need for secure sims, however I understand why they did it as the onus falls on your carrier and not MS should anything happen.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
credit card usage is spotty in Europe anyways. A lot of places that are not major national/international chains don't advertise it, and a lot of other places have purchase minimums. This was certainly the case I found in Germany, and to a greater extent in Italy....with Rome being the exception.

That is because the local shops, groceries stores, cafe's, pizza outlets etc have to either pay a percentage of the transaction or a fixed fee per transaction (around 15p to 70p ). Usually it is the latter as otherwise it becomes prohibitively expensive hence why they have a surcharge (50p to ?1) for any card transaction or a purchase minimum..

Last edited:

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
credit card usage is spotty in Europe anyways. A lot of places that are not major national/international chains don't advertise it, and a lot of other places have purchase minimums. This was certainly the case I found in Germany, and to a greater extent in Italy....with Rome being the exception.

What??? As a European I have to say "utter b*ll*cks" to that statement. I've never ever had problems anywhere in Europe using credit / debit cards - ranging from small coffee shops to local supermarkets to shops in little villages. Right now I'm in Moscow and even the smallest supermarkets here accept plastic.

You're not American by any chance?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What??? As a European I have to say "utter b*ll*cks" to that statement. I've never ever had problems anywhere in Europe using credit / debit cards - ranging from small coffee shops to local supermarkets to shops in little villages. Right now I'm in Moscow and even the smallest supermarkets here accept plastic.

We are not talking Card Swipe though... Are you?

I want to know primarily about Tap-to-Pay via NFC on a Windows Phone and secondarily about Chip and Pin cards, which is what Inteller was addressing if I'm not mistaken.

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
We are not talking Card Swipe though... Are you?

I want to know primarily about Tap-to-Pay via NFC on a Windows Phone and secondarily about Chip and Pin cards, which is what Inteller was addressing if I'm not mistaken.

Tap to pay is common with the card, Chip and Pin is the standard (come on America, catch up with us), card swiping died out years ago with the introduction of Chip and Pin.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05