No computer can recognize my Lumia 1020.

Bannana Waffles

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
So, I've been having a problem for a long time with my phone, and so far, no luck in fixing it. I've been running a Lumia 1020 for quite a few months now, and it's served me very well, but one problem manifested a few months in and still has yet to be resolved. And that is... No computer has been able to detect my phone. I've tried a multitude of cables and multiple computers and not one can detect my phone anymore. It still charges fine, so, no problems there, but neither my phone or PC recognize that they are plugged into each other.

I've searched high and low in device manager, messed with drivers and applications, and everything that I could do to access the files on my phone, but no luck at all. The phone doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, hell, it doesn't even show up in Device Manager, not even as a "Unrecognised USB device".

Now, I am going to do a factory reset on it, but I can't get around to doing that until I get a few videos off of it. So, Onedrive has kindly uploaded every video and picture I've ever taken automatically, and is what I typically use for getting things off my phone, but it's no longer good enough. These videos are huge, and Onedrive tries to upload them for a bit and eventually gives up with a non-descript error. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these off my phone so that I can try a factory reset? It's the last thing I need to do in order to declare that it's a problem with the USB port on the phone.

Thanks in advance, this is starting to drive me mad and I can't find anyone on the internet with the same problem... >.<

Bannana Waffles

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
uninstall the driver from device manager when connected,reboot your phone while connected to the pc,it should detect the phone

How do I uninstall the driver using Device Manager, when I stated that the phone does not show up in Device Manager, like, at all, not even as a "Unknown USB device" or anything.

Try to upload to OneDrive now, they have removed the file size limit. you can also use dropbox, or the "sync to skydrive" app.

I've been trying to upload to OneDrive all day, it starts uploading, then midway through it just fails. None of the Dropbox apps I've tried support uploading Video Files (Can you recommend one?), either.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to use Bluetooth to transfer files to another BT enabled device?

If you haven't tried this already:
Leave the phone connected then try restarting the PC and see if the PC's boot manager detects the phone and reloads the proper drivers.

Also if you right click "computer" from a Windows desktop go to "manage" open "disk management" does the phone show up as an inactive disk?

I had a USB disk reader disappear like this a while back.
Had to remove it thru disk management to help it reappear.
(In my case I think Daemon tools moved my drives around and disabled the reader.)

Munter2

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
If your computer is running Windows 8.1, just download the Windows Phone app in the Windows store. Run the app once and if your phone functions like my 925 did, you won't need to run the app on your computer more than the one time.

Bannana Waffles

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Is it possible to use Bluetooth to transfer files to another BT enabled device?

If you haven't tried this already:
Leave the phone connected then try restarting the PC and see if the PC's boot manager detects the phone and reloads the proper drivers.

Also if you right click "computer" from a Windows desktop go to "manage" open "disk management" does the phone show up as an inactive disk?

I had a USB disk reader disappear like this a while back.
Had to remove it thru disk management to help it reappear.
(In my case I think Daemon tools moved my drives around and disabled the reader.)

Sadly, no other Bluetooth devices in my house :(

Reboot with the phone on hasn't done much .-.

And not seeing anything out of the ordinary in Disk Management =\

If your computer is running Windows 8.1, just download the Windows Phone app in the Windows store. Run the app once and if your phone functions like my 925 did, you won't need to run the app on your computer more than the one time.

App was already installed from the past and it has no luck detecting the device either >.<

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
omg this is a scary situation to be in....
there is always cloud storage though just in case
btw try installing a fresh copy of windows 7 without the product key (30 day trial) in dual boot and check if the phone is detected there,if so theres an issue with your main windows install
i would have said linux but im not sure how linux handles MTP so a windows 7 trial is a safer bet to check if its a phone or os settings fault

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...
I'm wondering if the phones port is damaged now.

On another WP I have the connector had a piece of lint jammed in it and quit allowing a charge.
I was going to send the phone in until I noticed a posting on here about debris in the port.

Here's to hoping you find the fix...

Bannana Waffles

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm...
I'm wondering if the phones port is damaged now.

On another WP I have the connector had a piece of lint jammed in it and quit allowing a charge.
I was going to send the phone in until I noticed a posting on here about debris in the port.

Here's to hoping you find the fix...

Yup, thanks for the help... I tore it apart and inspected the USB port and all the leads, everything looked ok, pins seemed fine, everything was connected and undamaged... Damnit... I just plain don't know what's wrong with this thing! Meh, imma keep trying to get those files off it and give it a reset, hopefully that is all it needs...

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Yup, thanks for the help... I tore it apart and inspected the USB port and all the leads, everything looked ok, pins seemed fine, everything was connected and undamaged... Damnit... I just plain don't know what's wrong with this thing! Meh, imma keep trying to get those files off it and give it a reset, hopefully that is all it needs...

pls do post if you manage to get a solution,might help others :)
this is a really scary situation though especially with no sd card slot on the 1020

GelockS

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have to say that I was on this very same boat a few hours ago... I tried EVERYTHING and my Windows 8 laptop nor my PC could recognize my Lumia 1020!!!

You know what did work?
My main phone is a Motorola Moto G Android phone.
I used my MOTOROLA USB CABLE and guess what?!?

1) Phone was recognized
2) Drivers were installed automatically
3) Windows phone app was downloaded
4) Syncing EVERYTHING to my Laptop right now

Which leads me to ... NOKIA IS SUCKING THE HELL OUT if it's shipping a CHARGE ONLY USB cable!!! I basically think that is exactly what;s happening. I think the cable that came with my Lumia 1020 does not contain the leads for Data transferring!

So I didn;t even had an account on this page but searching I got here and thought: "heck, I fixed this using a new cable, lemme tell the guys/gals!".

Hopefully it helps you and many others!

Have a good day sirs/ma'ams! ;)

pippyo03

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I also have a Lumia 1020... and its not the cable that's the problem... My old 920 connects but when I connect the 1020 nothing comes up in file explorer, device manager, ANYWHERE!!!! What can I do?????

mrweerez

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I have been having this exact problem for the past several months. It has gotten to the point that I bought a cheaper temporary phone (Lumia 520) and have been using that as my primary phone since.

I started having problems when my phone would have a hard time staying connected while charging. I suspected a failing USB port at first which ended up being correct. I would have to hold the USB cable just right to get the phone to charge and/or connect to my computer.

I upgraded my 1020 to windows 10 mobile preview and later wanted to roll it back to 8.1. This ended up being an impossibility as I couldn't get it to stay connected to my PC for long enough and consistently enough to do the rollback. I stuck with Win 10 mobile which has gotten progressively better with time, but my phone still wouldn't connect to my PC and wouldn't charge unless the cable was positioned just right. Figuring a faulty USB port I looked up the repair video's online for replacing the back casing/USB port and decided to get a new battery while I was at it. I would share the video but can't because I'm a new user. :cry:

So I ordered the back case which includes a new USB port with it and a new genuine Nokia battery. I went through the process of the tear down and put everything back together. I fired up my phone and everything came on as it should. I connected my phone to my PC...nothing. No connection at all...but it charged without a problem. The charge connection is consistent and has no problems, but no data connection at all. My phone doesn't even show up in device manager. I have tried all of the suggested driver and software fixes I have been able to find in forums such as this one, but no dice so far. I have done a hard reset on my phone, tried various cables which work with my 520 and other phones for data and charging, but absolutely no response with my 1020. I have ordered a new genuine Nokia charging/data cable from Amazon and will see if it works tomorrow when it arrives, but I am exhausted of all ideas. I suppose the faulty USB port could have shorted or caused a problem with my logic board but I'm not paying $90 to purchase a new logic board when my phone works just fine otherwise. I'll just hold out for the Lumia 950XL to be released in the next 2 months and ditch the 1020.

I'm open to ideas everyone! I have tried all I can think of. I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you! :wink:

Mr Smeghead

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Similar experience here. After upgrading from 8.1 to Windoz 10 I started having trouble connecting my Lumia to any PC. First connection after upgrade my desktop would not recognize the Lumia. I switched USB ports and the PC showed up in Windows Explorer. After that it would not connect to the same desktop or my work desktop. Previously there was no problems connecting to the 8.1 home desktop or the Windows 7 work desktop. Several different cables and USB ports were tried on both computers after the problem started but nothing worked.
Has anybody solved this problem?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos