We already have Apple Pay ... it's called 'Wallet'

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/how-to/wp8/apps/wallet-faq
A few months after using my phone I stumbled across this app. It's installed by default. It can store your boarding passes,coupons vouchers, card details, details from apps, redeem codes etc. It's like apple pay but it was actually released first. Yeah it helps you activate the tap to pay setting.

But why didn't Microsoft showcase this feature, now everyone is going to be praising apple for features that existed since 8.0 and improved with 8.1

Did you know about the wallet app?

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
This is always the case. My co-worker was so excited about ApplePay and even called it innovative.....until I sent him a article from 2012 talking about Wallet for WP and mentioned that half of our co workers regularly use Google Wallet and it's own tap to pay feature. Should have seen the look on his face...

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Except for the fact that Apple Pay can be used on online stores... and hey, it actually will work for NFC payments as well.

Windows Phone 8 brought NFC payment support to the OS, but it requires that the carrier supports the back end of it. For that reason, it's never done anything in nearly all of the markets that Windows Phone is in (I remember they announced one European carrier would support it when WP8 was announced, but I don't even know if that ever happened).

And in 8.1, they've actually gone a step further and removed NFC payment support from Wallet entirely, so that the carriers can choose to make their own apps for payment, if they ever decide to care enough about Windows Phone:

Note: NFC functionality has been decoupled so that apps can now support NFC payments inside their own experiences.
http://channel9.msdn.com/events/Build/2014/2-5

But sure, if you want to pretend we've had this feature already, go ahead.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft did promote "wallet" on the announcement for Windows Phone 8, it was discussed where payments via NFC (forget the exact wording). They also said it was SIM based and that never started or took off in the US at least.

What I read and how I understood it was a lack of a standard and was the problem with it in the US. You have 3 companies doing different things and I think at the time MS was taking a back line to it.

As people know, I hate Apple and what they are doing is Not innovative but, what I do hope, they DO create a standard that will work on WP devices.

It's just another thing with Windows Phone....It seems like everything that I want, I am waiting for....Apps, hardware, smartwatches...etc..

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
It's going to be a mess, for some time, with WalMart, Best Buy and others going with a different 'standard'. VHS vs Beta all over again.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I have to take off my hats to Apple and Google on this one.
Microsoft's Wallet 'solution' was to basically leave it up to the carriers to enable it with their own apps on the platform. Which was delusional, since the carriers don't give a crap about Windows Phone.

Both Google's method and Apple Pay goes around the carriers to establish their own standard. If Apple Pay is instrumental in bringing NFC payment to the masses and having it take off with a common standard that doesn't wait on the carriers to 'allow it', then I'm all for it.

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I believe we are just waiting on Softcard support(formerly ISIS). Look them up. I just checked there twitter feed. Just today there are a few people who are asking about the support for Windows Phone 8. They have replied with soon. If we can get this we should then be able to use are phones to purchase items at physical stores.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I believe we are just waiting on Softcard support(formerly ISIS). Look them up. I just checked there twitter feed. Just today there are a few people who are asking about the support for Windows Phone 8. They have replied with soon. If we can get this we should then be able to use are phones to purchase items at physical stores.

I have a friend who works for softcard/Isis and he has been telling me that it will be coming to wp "soon" for over a year and a half now. I stopped asking and I feel like it still is in a constant state of testing. I was hopeful when the Lumia icon was advertised to be "Isis ready". But here we are 8 months later and nothing yet. Us WP fans sure are patient.

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site

Lol I've been following them since January and there are usually about 20 tweets/week asking for WP support. Every single time the response is "we can't share anything yet but it's coming soon!". It's vaporware. I'd be shocked if it's released before WP9.

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Luckily Microsoft put ?20 on my wallet a few weeks back for the app store (long story) but I haven't used it to its full potential. I want to use NFC to pay for my bus travel but don't know if I need an app to come along or do I add my credit card to the wallet and turn NFC on and it will go from there ?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I have to take off my hats to Apple and Google on this one.
Microsoft's Wallet 'solution' was to basically leave it up to the carriers to enable it with their own apps on the platform. Which was delusional, since the carriers don't give a crap about Windows Phone.

Both Google's method and Apple Pay goes around the carriers to establish their own standard. If Apple Pay is instrumental in bringing NFC payment to the masses and having it take off with a common standard that doesn't wait on the carriers to 'allow it', then I'm all for it.

The problem is, when you're at ~3% market share, you can't push the carriers around as much as Apple or Google can.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The problem is, when you're at ~3% market share, you can't push the carriers around as much as Apple or Google can.

There is also another side to it, Microsoft should grow some balls on this aspect. Well, this is a feature that people would LOVE to be able to use and will be something that will move forward and used more and more (and I foresee this, as tech grows). They are not going to grab a huge amount of marketshare volume quick till they create something or support something that blows away the consumer..

Having a really nice OS with a lack of some key apps for people is just not going to do it in this marketplace(if you don't think there is a App gap, cool for you, but, still there are still key apps like banks, local apps, tv/radio, hardware, etc that is missing).

This is something Microsoft should push, and dump money into to create a standard that will be used across the board, then tablets and phones could be used for this.

It just seems Microsoft is taking a back seat to this type of stuff, this is how MS will fail with WP....Look at smarwatches for example...There must be about 15-20 models now that work with Android (Android Wear anyone ?, seen tons of commericals on it) or iOS.....Name one that FULLY works with Windows Phone that is ON THE SHELF now (not a company quoting they Will have support) that I can buy today. Think about it, there is NOT ONE that I can buy that will FULLY work with WP, NONE.

This is a HUGE problem and in the long term will be why MS's marketshare is not going to grow much more out of single digits for MANY years...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I was under the impression Apple's solution was different. Are they the same?

To the store they're the same. The store is not implementing Apple Pay, but rather NFC tap to pay. Apple Pay is Apple's version of Google Wallet.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I got this from reading stuff on the internet, so it may not be right, but my understanding is that Apple, Google, SoftCard are in the midst of signing up their own retailer mixes. No reason they can't overlap, but so far they have not. My opinion is whence goes Walmart goes America for this technology.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion