We already have Apple Pay ... it's called 'Wallet'

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
To the store they're the same. The store is not implementing Apple Pay, but rather NFC tap to pay. Apple Pay is Apple's version of Google Wallet.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

That makes absolutely no sense.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That makes absolutely no sense.

I think it makes sense. For any nfc pay method, whether it is Apple pay, Google wallet or softcard, the terminal is just an NFC (RFID) reader. Therefore the stores won't have to implement multiple pay terminals. Not to mention it is the same terminal used for RFID credit cards, which the U.S. is transitioning toward.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
OK, you have no idea what you're talking about. That's like saying any computer should be able to run any program because it's all 1's and 0's, ir any car should run off gasoline, diesel, alcohol because it all burns.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Actually, there are two. Microsoft just started selling one in their store ( pricey, but available ) and all Fitbit devices work with WP 8.1. The software needs some tweaking, but it is there.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OK, you have no idea what you're talking about. That's like saying any computer should be able to run any program because it's all 1's and 0's, ir any car should run off gasoline, diesel, alcohol because it all burns.
You say he has no idea what he is talking about, yet you offer nothing to show he is wrong. You asked how it worked so clearly you have no clue either. Why ask the question if you are going to do nothing but act like a jerk and explain how stupid you think everyone else is?

JeepGoesBeep

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site

It's not much different than a credit card reader that can take a MasterCard from one person and then a Visa from the person right behind them....I cant see retailers locking themselves into only taking one kind of payment.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
You guys don't seem to understand that there's more to it than the reader at the checkout line. If that was it, this would already be everywhere. There has to be a standard. One software package that is agreed upon by stores, carriers, and banks. Apple got tired of waiting on the politics. God knows Microsoft wasn't going to make it happen.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
People will always claim that Apple is innovating.

Apple pay is actually a gimmick, do people really want to pull out their phones and put it up the card reader to pay when they can just pull out their card. I mean seriously. Its not innovative. You know what is innovative? When you get to the register and you do a retina scan and it pulls up your accounts because opening accounts now require a retina scan, and then you choose which account you would like to pay with.

Speaking of the which, I believe it was Amazon that has like this grocery shopping thing where you scan stuff in your house that you need and they will deliver it for you. Now that's innovative but I think its only available in SoCal.

Microsoft's wallet is meh. Unless I am using it wrong. It only works online right?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's Wallet is meh. The carrier's hamstringed it because they worried they would be on the hook if it wasn't secure enough. They hamstringed Google's Wallet as well... Google found a workaround. Microsoft never bothered.

Apple is new to the game with the first NFC enabled models still not yet unwrapped by customers and my bank is sending me an email trumpeting how Apple Pay is coming to their cards.

Like it or not, Apple just invented the dang thing in the eyes of most of the world.

"It's enough to make you wonder sometimes if you're on the right planet."
* Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Two Tribes (EP mix).​

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
You can't use Microsoft's NFC in stores because there is no set standard. You need a special SIM from your carrier, the store needs to support a reader that uses that SIM, and your bank has to support payment from that SIM. Microsoft has had years to do something to make that happen, and they haven't done ****," as usual. Google tried, and got shot down by the banks. Apple has more leverage. There is no way anyone is going to responsible for losing the revenue for telling Apple "No."

arfore

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Actually, you are the one that is mistaken. First of all until there is a wider roll out of NFC enabled (aka tap to pay, paypass, etc.) terminals at the P.O.S. (point of sale) it won't matter. In October of 2015, many of the card issuers in the U.S. will shift liability to the merchant for fraudulent activity if they have not installed an EMV compatible terminal. This is one of the major reasons that now is the perfect time for the NFC "contactless" payment systems to be rolled out.

As for standards of use, MasterCard has the MasterCard Digital Enablement Service which was launched early this month (1), while VISA has their own tokenization system for the VISA infrastructure (2). As you will see from reading the VISA story, their system uses HCE (host card emulation) which is what Google switched to with Google Wallet in KitKat (4.4) (3). Also, another wrinkle is that a large pool of merchants have stated that they are going support the Merchant Customer Exchange system (4) instead of Apple Pay.

Decoupling the wallet application from the secure element in the phone hardware was a great solution and really should have been the initial solution in the first place as this will allow for cross-platform use of services. To enable the NFC payment mechanism, all one has to do right now is to visit your carrier to obtain a "nfc" sim (also known as secure sim) then load up an application on the phone and configure it. In the near future all sims are expected to be "secure" or NFC enabled since it has no effect on the functionality of a phone without NFC chipsets.

Google didn't get "shot down" by banks. They were stymied by the carriers who saw this as yet one more way of locking users into their phones or as a carrot to make their services more desirable.

As for how the new Wallet app will work now that NFC and the application are de-coupled, here's an article on Skovron's keynote at NFC World Congress (5).

And one last thing, it really is pretty poor etiquette to consistently tell others how or why they are mistaken, wrong, or incorrect, without providing any sort of research to back up your claims.

Note: I have had to munge the links below a little since I don't have the requisite number of accepted posts to include working links as of yet. SImply replace the underscores in the first chunk of the URL to be a dot.

References:
  1. www_qrcodepress_com/mastercard-launches-new-digital-token-mobile-payments-service/8528287
  2. www_nfcworld_com/2014/07/24/330575/visa-launch-new-payments-service-september-apple-first-customer
  3. www-totalpayments_org/2014/04/10/google-wallet-saved-hce
  4. www_mcx_com
  5. www_nfcworld_com/2012/09/24/318034/microsoft-demos-windows-phone-8-mobile-wallet

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Google tried, and got shot down by the banks.

Huh? Please explain! Google Wallet tap to pay works fine where the NFC equipped terminals are available.

Apple's most valuable role in this whole tap to pay industry is to encourage the vendors to get terminal to accommodate the function. That is something Google couldn't do.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft's Wallet is meh. The carrier's hamstringed it because they worried they would be on the hook if it wasn't secure enough. They hamstringed Google's Wallet as well... Google found a workaround. Microsoft never bothered.

Apple is new to the game with the first NFC enabled models still not yet unwrapped by customers and my bank is sending me an email trumpeting how Apple Pay is coming to their cards.

Like it or not, Apple just invented the dang thing in the eyes of most of the world.

"It's enough to make you wonder sometimes if you're on the right planet."
* Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Two Tribes (EP mix).​

Maybe they did invented it but I don't really see a point of it.

Back in the days people would use the bartering system and then someone created currency so instead of bringing 2 cows, 4 mouse, and 18 wheel of cheese to trade with Joe the animal whisperer, you would just bring currency because you would sell your self-made items at a market.

Fast forward, and then the card was invented enabling you to pay for stuff without carrying all that cash on you.

I guess the point of Apple pay is so you won't need to carry all them cards on you but lets me honest who got that many cards. I have 5 and that's not enough for me to look for an all-in-one type card or one-card-to-rule-them-all type card. Albiet I remember reading about a card that allows you to store multiple cards in it but I don't think that made it anywhere.

To me Apple pay is just for flexing purposes. Har Dar Har Herpa Derp, I pay wit muh f0ne and u still using cardzzz teehhheehh har dar har

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
As for how the new Wallet app will work now that NFC and the application are de-coupled, here's an article on Skovron's keynote at NFC World Congress (5).

Not to repeat myself, but your source is from 2012 with WP8. Things have changed since then in WP8.1.

JW888

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend who works for softcard/Isis and he has been telling me that it will be coming to wp "soon" for over a year and a half now. I stopped asking and I feel like it still is in a constant state of testing. I was hopeful when the Lumia icon was advertised to be "Isis ready". But here we are 8 months later and nothing yet. Us WP fans sure are patient.

From Facebook today

wp_ss_20140929_0002.png

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So, is there/what are the possibilities of adding a viable app like Apple pay to Windows Phone, either by updating Wallet or someone coming up with a new one? And how about a way of letting MS know that there's a lot of interest in one among Windows Phone users?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb