WP9 to be available for all existing WP8 devices, preview in January 2015

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 520 is shipped with WP8.0 (Amber/Black). From where did you get a 520 shipped with 8.1.?? The user is meant to update the device after unboxing
The only phones shipped with WP8.1 (Lumia Cyan) is 630,(730/735),830,930, HTC M8 & few other new OEM devices
At least in Brazil, they update the phones and sell updated.
This includes for all versions.
Apollo to GDR1 / Portico, Portico to Amber, Amber to Black... And now, Black to Cyan.

JithinPrasad

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
At least in Brazil, they update the phones and sell updated.
This includes for all versions.
Apollo to GDR1 / Portico, Portico to Amber, Amber to Black... And now, Black to Cyan.

So what you are telling is that they are unboxing the new ones and updating it and selling it to customers in Brazil..Strange
Ok if that is the case also the default OS in 520 is WP8.0
As told earlier Shipped with 8.1 are 630,(730/735),830,930, HTC M8 & few other new OEM devices.
You wont find WP8.0 Software Release for these phone anywhere in NSU or Navifirm. 8.1 OS is the default OS of these devices

FredW3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking there may not be a WP9. With the plans to converge all platforms, I hope to see W9 and W9RT. The new Atom processors will run W9 on a phone, and the snapdragon powered phones will get W9RT, or possibly W9 with restrictions.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I hope that WP9 will include a real multitasking system, the actual one is not that bad but it can be better

I disagree, full multitasking is a massive battery drain. Just look at the HTC One M8 for Android vs. the HTC One M8 for Windows as an example, the current way of tomb stoning apps in the background is the best way to go.

Monry

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I disagree, full multitasking is a massive battery drain. Just look at the HTC One M8 for Android vs. the HTC One M8 for Windows as an example, the current way of tomb stoning apps in the background is the best way to go.
Only one mobile OS has real multitasking - BB10 and it's not causing massive battery drain at all. Android, iOS, WP - I won't call it multitasking, rather ability to restore old tasks from background.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Only one mobile OS has real multitasking - BB10 and it's not causing massive battery drain at all. Android, iOS, WP - I won't call it multitasking, rather ability to restore old tasks from background.

BB10 has a halfway house between tomb stoning and real multitasking, Android has real multitasking as it has to update widgets in real time, which means that apps have to run constantly in the background.

WP and iOS have tomb stoning which is great for battery life, but resuming an app takes a lot longer. Both WP and iOS have background tasks that run periodically to get email and, on WP, update live tiles among other things.

Monry

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Nope. It's the opposite. BB10 offers real multitasking. I don't know if you had any contact with this platform but I've used it nearly a year and apps in background can run in real time while you are using other apps. Up to 8 running apps in background. You can look for proof on YT.
Android is halfway between tomb stoning and real multitasking. By default it is tomb stoning and it happens in, let's say, 90% of apps. There are some that require real multitasking and yeah, it works, but I've seen this only in small amount of apps.
I don't know about WP really, because I'm just starting developing for this platform, but yes, it looks like typical tomb stoning.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Nope. It's the opposite. BB10 offers real multitasking. I don't know if you had any contact with this platform but I've used it nearly a year and apps in background can run in real time while you are using other apps. Up to 8 running apps in background. You can look for proof on YT.
Android is halfway between tomb stoning and real multitasking. By default it is tomb stoning and it happens in, let's say, 90% of apps. There are some that require real multitasking and yeah, it works, but I've seen this only in small amount of apps.
I don't know about WP really, because I'm just starting developing for this platform, but yes, it looks like typical tomb stoning.

Fair enough but you said it yourself, BB10 can only have 8 apps running in the background otherwise its battery life drops to Android levels. The Z10 has poor battery life anyway, you just have to look at the Crackberry forums.

As a long time WP user I can tell you that WP, just like iOS, uses tomb stoning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte