What does this sentence mean in Photos setting page

wps81

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed this: "Reframing in DNG mode uses the low-resolution photo" Sounds horrifying. Does it mean that, when I use setting "jpeg(5MP) + DNG(19MP)", I am actually reframing using the low-res photo as base and DNG photo doesn't participate in any way?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what it sounds to me like too. But that doesn't surprise me much, as WP doesn't support DNG/RAW at all. It's just that Nokia added support for it through a firmware update - Black, if I'm not mistaken - and that this support only means you can save the image in RAW format rather than being able to do anything else with it on your device. It's meant to have a losless image available, which can then be edited on a PC later on. If you want to edit/reframe or whatever pictures right on your device, you would have to create them in jpg instead of dng.

wps81

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This is a huge surprise to me actually. It means all my reframed kids photos are less quality. And because DNG don't get uploaded to OneDrive, most are lost during phone reset and tidy-up. I change the setting to high-res JPG now.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. One problem I realised now is that DNG not auto-backup. This is one disadvantage. Maybe high-res jpg is good enough for me.

If you're not planning to make more than simple reframing, recoloring or the likes on a computer, high res JPG should be well enough. :) I have no idea if DNG files can be uploaded automatically or not, as I've disabled that feature ages ago. I just upload the pictures I want to have available on OneDrive manually.

ranger604

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Just installed Rawer (prior to reading this post).. paid the whopping $0.99 for it too. Didn't see an avenue to crop/reframe the image. Am I missing something?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium