People are haters when it comes to windows phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Robinson

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my phone and absolutely love the UI and neat features that come with windows 8.1. However, there are a lot of haters out there and most of them are in the front line of phone sales and corporate entities. I had my Lumia 1520 for only minutes when I encountered my first ney sayer. It was a lady at AT&T trying to replace my Micro SIM card with a Nano SIM card. She couldn't get the SIM card to fit (her error) and blamed Windows Phone for being difficult to work with and asked "Why are you buying a Windows Phone". The second time was with an IT worker when I was trying to get the corporate Office 365 to sync with my phone. It turns out that my workplace doesn't support windows phones because it "doesn't have encryption support for emails", which maybe someone can enlighten me but it looks like it does S/MIME. His comment was "get an Apple or an Android device". I did some research on this and it appears that Windows 7 didn't but that was years ago. I don't think anyone gives the phone a chance and bases decisions on previous generations. I personally love it and the limitation in apps is easily rectified by pinning the internet explorer page of you tube or my companies Office 365 web account. I have already changed a few people's mind about windows phone, but there are alot of people who turn their noses up with the mere mention of Windows Phone.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest issues is that perception is dated, as you found from the S/MIME thing. E.g. Apple only just released this with iOS8. Windows had it first! But people think of Windows being 'behind'. It was a couple of years ago, but with the fast update track these days it's often ahead of the game...

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Its all about perception and fascination. I personally feel that WP is going in right direction and people will notice its excellence as we do :)

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I just tell those people that I have a great phone and I hope they like their phone as much as I do. If that doesn't work I just pull out the plastic spoons and put them over my eyes to block out the haters.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Replacing the sim on my 1520 took all of 5 seconds to do. That lady is too stupid for words to be working at AT&T. Though based on what I've read on the forums here, phone store clerks aren't the brightest people on Earth.

loki993

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Show them how long you've been off your charger for and how much batter you have left that usually shuts them up.

Actually though I just smile and let them continue in their blissful ignorance. Is WP perfect? no, but you know what I don't have the constant urge to throw my phone against a wall all the time like I did with my andriod nor do I have to panic that my phones gonna die if I get more than 10 feet from a charger.

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Seriously people just blindly hate WP for apparently no reason. My friend is soon going to buy a phone and Im trying to convince him to buy a Windows phone. We went to a Shopping Mall to check out the recent available phones that fits his budget of 15-16 INR. Sadly in most of the stores, the only WP devices were 520, 920 and 630. He wanted a balance between these phones at that price range which WP didn't offer.There were tons of Android phones in every price segment and he has finalized a few of them. We went to another store and gave him our budget, he took out XOLO and some other phones. I asked him to show WP phones and he was like "Isme zyada choice nai hai aapke budget me, aap ye lelo acha hai" which meant " There's no much choice in WP, you take this one, this is better than WP referring to XOLO". So obviously he's buying an Android device now. Even if he had a good budget he wouldn't have considered buying a WP in stead of having a 520 at home which he finds boring.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Never had anyone frown at me for having a Microsoft smartphone.
Most people could care less what I have just like I don't really care what small screen they stare at.

Well once a gal at a restaurant noticed my 925 and laid a compliment on me...
...then the wife gave me some grief for showing it (the phone) to her.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Replacing the sim on my 1520 took all of 5 seconds to do. That lady is too stupid for words to be working at AT&T. Though based on what I've read on the forums here, phone store clerks aren't the brightest people on Earth.

So true as my GF's sister went to have her L1020 hooked up and the sales clerk wanted to know how to remove the back to insert the sim and that she's never seen a camera so big before. Note she's also selling IPhones, GS4/5, BBZ10 etc and yet never knew of the best camera ever to be put on a smartphone was on the Nokia L1020. There isn't anyone who's ever heard about smartphones that doesn't know that, I mean SERIOUSLY yet she's a sales clerk in a service provider store!!

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I've actually been sneered at when some people were talking about their phones. This woman (who has an iPhone) asks everybody at the table what kind of phone they have. One guy says he had an Android and I say "I have a Windows Phone". Her response was a dismissive sneer. The only thing missing was the little wave of the hand. The conversation was over as far as she was concerned. What do you say to that kind of arrogance? I just chuckled.

Last edited:

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
You can thank Microsoft for calling it "Windows Phone" for this. The general populace remembers blue screens, viruses, and worms when the word "Windows" is used. They didn't used Windows because they liked it, but because it was the only viable option for 20 years. They don't have to do that anymore.

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I had my Lumia 1520 for only minutes when I encountered my first ney sayer. It was a lady at AT&T trying to replace my Micro SIM card with a Nano SIM card. She couldn't get the SIM card to fit (her error) and blamed Windows Phone for being difficult to work with and asked "Why are you buying a Windows Phone".

The Nerve!!!

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I find it hilarious that people always dismiss Windows Phone because of the popularity and In-Crowdness of iPhones. And the main argument with everyone else is not enough apps. How many stopwatches, calculators, and candy crush/bejeweled clones do you need?

When I got my L1020, some people were like sweet phone, what is it( just seeing the color and massive camera on it). They walk up and I tell them the Lumia 1020 Windows Phone. Quite a few people were extremely interested and never really saw one before. Some played with it and seemed really interested but then iPhone/Android owners come around and usually spit out the it doesn't have as many apps line.
To me, WP has the best UI, is fluid and highly functional, has ENOUGH apps with big time apps created by 3rd party developers who then offer those apps for free and some are way better than what the 1st party developer builds. We don't need 100,000 calculators to be a great platform.

And I'm tired of in store reps at every cellular store I walk into dismissing the fact that I'm interested in WP and not the new iPhone or Galaxy device.. Always looking down on people interested in the device. They should be looking to equip their customers with the device that is interesting to them and what will work best for them. What works best for you doesn't mean it will work best for them. Not, hey that customer is looking at WP... Don't look at that look at the new iPhone. It's shiny and built with aluminum...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Never had anyone frown at me for having a Microsoft smartphone.
Most people could care less what I have just like I don't really care what small screen they stare at.

Well once a gal at a restaurant noticed my 925 and laid a compliment on me...
...then the wife gave me some grief for showing it (the phone) to her.

The only folk I know to be this kind of resentful about Windows Phone are those that believe the sun rises and sets on google. In conversation, apple types tend to be the most mellow about this platform. I suspect that's because they are mostly mellow about their own platform. Even on this forum, just the mention of your own opinion about things like search, brings out the evil.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The only folk I know to be this kind of resentful about Windows Phone are those that believe the sun rises and sets on google. In conversation, apple types tend to be the most mellow about this platform. I suspect that's because they are mostly mellow about their own platform. Even on this forum, just the mention of your own opinion about things like search, brings out the evil.

I guess because of my age I just don't travel in the circles that a number of the more youthful members do.
My only exposure to dissension among platforms would be on this forum...and that's what in part drives conversation here.

If I was ever pointed at or treaded on in public for having the Microsoft slugphone I'd just raise an eyebrow nod my head and go have a beer with friends.
Descended so many mountains over the years.
Basing my life on a smartphone platform then being easily insulted about that choice seems more comic than serious to me.

Ah well it's all just talk anyway.
:smile:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my phone and absolutely love the UI and neat features that come with windows 8.1. However, there are a lot of haters out there and most of them are in the front line of phone sales and corporate entities. I had my Lumia 1520 for only minutes when I encountered my first ney sayer. It was a lady at AT&T trying to replace my Micro SIM card with a Nano SIM card. She couldn't get the SIM card to fit (her error) and blamed Windows Phone for being difficult to work with and asked "Why are you buying a Windows Phone". The second time was with an IT worker when I was trying to get the corporate Office 365 to sync with my phone. It turns out that my workplace doesn't support windows phones because it "doesn't have encryption support for emails", which maybe someone can enlighten me but it looks like it does S/MIME. His comment was "get an Apple or an Android device". I did some research on this and it appears that Windows 7 didn't but that was years ago. I don't think anyone gives the phone a chance and bases decisions on previous generations. I personally love it and the limitation in apps is easily rectified by pinning the internet explorer page of you tube or my companies Office 365 web account. I have already changed a few people's mind about windows phone, but there are alot of people who turn their noses up with the mere mention of Windows Phone.

My friends didn't say anything against me when I had a Windows Phone, apart from the occasional jokes when my phone didn't have the same apps as their phones did.

Everyone around me is either an iOS or Android fan but doesn't care whatever phone anyone else gets.

Oddly enough there are some people around me that say they hate iPhones, yet when they gather enough money to purchase one, they get it.

I guess because of my age I just don't travel in the circles that a number of the more youthful members do.
My only exposure to dissension among platforms would be on this forum...and that's what in part drives conversation here.

If I was ever pointed at or treaded on in public for having the Microsoft slugphone I'd just raise an eyebrow nod my head and go have a beer with friends.
Descended so many mountains over the years.
Basing my life on a smartphone platform then being easily insulted about that choice seems more comic than serious to me.

Ah well it's all just talk anyway.
:smile:

I've always wondered, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well I showed my father my 920 and he loved the idea of HERE Drive, being able to use it's GPS and downloaded maps so it won't require an internet connection, sadly though he can't get a new phone since his phone was provided from his job, he has an extremely ****ty Motorola Moto blur I believe from 2010.

I also convinced my friend to get a Windows Phone but sadly he's still in contract with his iPhone.

The thing is people will always hate things they don't know or never tried just because they don't want to believe that their choice is flawed. It's sort of a jealousy thing really. Of course you have those tech "journalists" dissing Windows Phone as well but let's be honest here, most of them don't even know what their talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte