App Idea - Push notification when user enters high-crime area

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Please get this app published ASAP. Chuck Norris is a personal friend who knows I frequent the forums. He has been bugging me non-stop. He wants the app to help him find more bad guys for some *** kicking. He's pretty much used up the ones close by.

Vitaliy Radovanski

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
What a brilliant idea! Bravo!

Like, as soon as you get into some criminal area, your iPhone starts sending you those push notifications, you take it out of your poket and all the criminals around see - whoa, a new iPhone!
They will be the first ones to promote that app I suppose.

Yet if you still plan to develop it - I suggest you use the QuickBlox backend to send the notifications - it's free and easy to use. Good luck.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
It's for Windows, first of all.

Secondly, it wouldn't just make a ping sound, it would actually tell you you're in a dangerous area by speaking. No need to remove the phone from your pocket.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
This was a project that was completed at Microsoft but not released as a result of complaints that it was racist.

Sign me up to test, buy and sell your app. My advice is that you base it on a national data base that is recognized as a "reference" and allow the user to select a level of crime they would like to be notified about. If you allow the user to specify the level that they are alerted to you can't be pursued by anyone crying foul.

Please keep us updated.

Many thanks,

Ken

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not so sure it is such a good idea.

Some poor sap walking down the street. 'My phone is vibrating wonder what that could be'
Pulls out phone reads notification - Caution! you are now entering a known high crime area
During all this someone see the poor sap pull out his phone to look at and see's an easy victim they up and grab the phone and then leg it away.

If you're gonna try and do that kinda of thing you really should have it provide advance warning. So setup a perimeter of 100-200 Metres around each zone warning the app owner that if they continue in certain directions they'll be heading into a known area. Maybe have it show a map with a red zone marking the area with a yellow zone surrounding it highlighting the perimeter used by the app and a marker showing present location.

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Some poor sap walking down the street. 'My phone is vibrating wonder what that could be'
Pulls out phone reads notification - Caution! you are now entering a known high crime area
During all this someone see the poor sap pull out his phone to look at and see's an easy victim they up and grab the phone and then leg it away.

I think it's pretty much assumed that everyone is walking around with a phone and people will be taking them out at various points for various reasons. So I don't see that as an argument against something like this.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it's pretty much assumed that everyone is walking around with a phone and people will be taking them out at various points for various reasons. So I don't see that as an argument against something like this.

Besides who would want to mug someone for a windows phone. MS can't even give them away.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
When MS apps on Android and Apple run circles around its own WP apps, You know something is wrong. Get out while you can. It's the Fall of Saigon all over again.

That doesn't answer my question, why are you still here if you hate Windows Phone so much?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb