My last commitment to Windows

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If only it were that simple. Credit cards are what got me here in the first place.(Well technically not managing them correctly). But I also have more important things to drop $500-700 on than phones. You guys are still missing the bigger picture. Our competing rivals are available on a broad range of carriers but Windows Phone isn't. This whole talk of buying phones outright and prepaid plans are sidebars.

I am in the same boat, I am on T-Mobile after having the HTC HD7, then I switched to At&t for the Titan 2. I bought my Lumia 920 at full price. I am now back on T-Mobile because of the price of the plan and I am grandfathered employer discount...even with the EIP payment plan, it is still cheaper than at&t and Verizon...plus I can jump! twice a year. I find this to be the best deal.

I would get a top of the line Lumia device on T-Mobile if available...but now I am stuck on either Android or IOS because of employer apps.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow is like you living my own experience. I've been using my Lumias 925 for the last two years but before you give up let me give you some glimpse of hopes. First hopefully the rumors about the 1525 are true. Second: we don't know yet which of the new Lumias are coming to T-Mobile. And last: I couldn't wait any longer and got a factory unlock, black, 32gb 1520 [used] in $318. It works just as my Lumias 925; LTE, 4G. If you ever interested in any device make sure it support T-Mobile LTE & 4G band.
Yeah let's hope so and that Microsoft announces something soon. They don't need to wait. In regards to the Lumia 730 and 830, as far as I'm concerned none of those are worth the upgrade for me. They are slick looking phones and I especially love the Denim software they'll be running. I'm considering getting a 1520 myself. I've been putting it off though just to see if Microsoft announces a device for T-Mobile besides the HTC One for Windows. What I've found is that most ATT phones were perfectly fine on T-Mobile without a hitch especially in my area which is refarmed for 4G/LTE speeds.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I think the problem with T-Mobile now is that the deal is just too good. I mean you can snag a $45 plan that includes unlimited talk and text along with 2GB of data... Or a family plan for 4 for $100... T-Mobile would love to sell you a $600 phone to bring that bill up to where the other carriers are, but they don't want to stock too many SKU's to get there. Right now, Android and iOS devices are out selling WP devices 100 to 1...

T-Mobile isn't going to commit to purchasing a large volume of Windows Phones when their sales people could just sell what's easy. This means T-Mobile will continue to stock lower range Windows Phones going forward, if any at all. The 635 is $120 and is a great phone. It's not the iPhone 6 or a Lumia 930, but it certainly does the job for most users just fine.

I just think to get a premium device on T-Mo, you'll either have to go unlocked international or unlock an AT&T handset and move it over to T-Mobile.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I completely understand your frustration. T-Mobile is the bottom of the barrel with Windows Phones. They roll out mid level WP's, get frustrated that they aren't selling (it's because their sales staff literally push you to Android or Apple), and then EOL the phone early.

I've sent emails, made phone calls, and got up the CEO support level. Had nice long talks about the sales of WP's on T-Mobile and why they were crap. As I would bounce into a T-Mobile store and play "dumb" saying my phone died, and I'm just shopping around just to see what the sales person would suggest. It's always Apple first, then Android. If I say "I've heard some intriguing things about Windows Phone..." 90% of the time the sales person will essentially say "It's crap. It's buggy. You don't want one. There are no apps. etc."

I would take notes as to the store, and the sales person's name, and such. I gave the information the CEO Support person, and they were shocked, and literally speechless when I would add "... and this is why you're having a hard time selling Windows Phones. It's not because of people aren't interested, it's YOUR sales people that are killing it." The only response was "We'll have to look into that."

I disagree with the part I bolded at the beginning of your post. Bottom of the barrel with Windows Phone would be Sprint. I don't think anyone would argue about that.

As for RaRa, eh... I'm pretty happy with my 925. This past week, I actually went back to my 920 for the storage space since I knew I would be going to the NY Renaissance Faire with my boyfriend and would be snapping loads of pictures. I do understand the frustration over the lack of premium Windows Phones on T-Mobile, but unlike many others, I'm actually satisfied with what I have, at least for now. Still, it'll be interesting when the HTC One M8 WP version comes out, and/or whenever the rumored 1525 might appear. Who knows, we might even end up getting the 830 for all we know!

daddymanAZ

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
A little about me
I can go to T-Mobile tomorrow and get the iPhone 6 and 6 plus, LG G3, HTC One(Android), and Samsung Galaxy S5 and many other of the competitors.

For me, this is one of the most frustrating aspects of Windows Phone. I don't want to jump from carrier to carrier just to get the latest phone. I don't want to go through the hassle of buying a used (or new) unlocked phone on E-Craig then bring it to my carrier....LAME!! :eck:

I too would've be a 1020 owner if it could be purchased on contract with Verizon.

And don't get me started on "flagship" phones....one has a superior camera but no SD, the other has front firing speakers but inferior camera, another has a decent camera and SD but not available with 8.1.

Whoever came up with this marketing strategy is a genius....obviously it's working really well...look at the market share! :sweaty: It's as if MS asked Apple and Google "what would you suggest we do to take over the smartphone market?" and then MS actually implemented the answers they received. :confused:

Enough ranting ... it's off to work I go!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
For me, this is one of the most frustrating aspects of Windows Phone. I don't want to jump from carrier to carrier just to get the latest phone. I don't want to go through the hassle of buying a used (or new) unlocked phone on E-Craig then bring it to my carrier....LAME!! :eck:
And I don't like to wipe after you know what but until there is a better alternative, I'll just put up with it. There are worse things.

BTW, you can buy them new and avoid eCraig.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Updated: I realize that Microsoft owes me nothing and neither do I owe them my loyalty as a consumer. I will leave when/if I see the need to.I will always love and support Windows and rather I'm with the platform or not I will always look to see it succeed. Always. And that is my real commitment to Windows: My continued appreciation for it.

XT14N

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 1520.3 "Unicorn", $489 from B&H. All carriers can go take a jump, unlocked GSM rules!

Trust me. This is the way to go with T-Mobile. I've been with them for over 10 years. I've only upgraded my phone once through them. The rest, I bought from elsewhere. I'm on dev preview with my Lumia 810. T-Mobile sucks with updates. I'm leaning towards the 1520.3. The 1525 is totally fake.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Trust me. This is the way to go with T-Mobile. I've been with them for over 10 years. I've only upgraded my phone once through them. The rest, I bought from elsewhere. I'm on dev preview with my Lumia 810. T-Mobile sucks with updates. I'm leaning towards the 1520.3. The 1525 is totally fake.
Yep until Microsoft gives us a reason to believe that its real I'm not getting my hopes up for the 1525. Would be nice though for the holidays. Really nice.

XT14N

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
This may not be final but I talked with a T-Mobile rep and he stated that he hasn't heard anything regarding new Windows Phones except for the Nokia Lumia 635. Sigh.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that's final but I'm getting the Sony Xperia Z3 as soon as it comes out. I'm basically just waiting now. The whole Flipboard debacle is another reason I'm leaving. These developers took a whole year to give us that? And many other apps are way behind in features when compared to iOS and Android. I hope this is just a temporary journey with Android(I can get a new phone as soon as 50% of the phone is paid off with T-Mobile) unless I really like it. Plus I wouldn't buy into too much on what these reps say cause the last time I asked a rep about the HTC One for Windows they didn't even have a clue.

XT14N

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I've always thought of getting a Sony phone. But, I'm big into camera performance and reviews of their camera disappoints me.

Ah yes Flipboard. It's too bad that it didn't pan out too well for Windows Phone users. I hope they improve the app for users. It's not a deal breaker for me since I prefer Feedly or Weave.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is by far the leader in imaging advancements and built in software features but Sony has come a long way. The camera unit on the Z2 has performed admirably from what I've seen and the Z3 looks to build on that. Most reviewers have said that the Sony's camera takes pretty decent shots out of the box(at least well above average) and even better with manual just like most Nokia phones. Most of Sony's software features come in way of apps it seems but I'm fine with that. If I can have a great camera(probably not THE best), great battery life, cool features(slow motion video, remote play, etc.), in a sleek design made available for my carrier I'm in and the Z3 seems to meet all those check marks.(based on reviews)

Last edited:

XT14N

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
The Verge (iVerge) has released a review of the Z3. I had Poki read it for me. For the most part, the phone is great :)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
why do youll settle for carrier crap though,all they do is give you a locked handset with bloat for a period of time and no updates and only play by their rules
instead i think a prepaid route with a cheap well made unlocked handset is better because you get more flexibility etc

XT14N

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
why do youll settle for carrier crap though,all they do is give you a locked handset with bloat for a period of time and no updates and only play by their rules
instead i think a prepaid route with a cheap well made unlocked handset is better because you get more flexibility etc

Some people would like more hardware/software that would better support their carrier. With T-Mobile, a phone that supports their upcoming 700 MHz band and Wi-Fi calling are a couple of features that can be a deal breaker.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The Verge (iVerge) has released a review of the Z3. I had Poki read it for me. For the most part, the phone is great :)

Ha I just read that review and they actually gave it a fair review. The photo samples look very promising. And the battery life...yes please!

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Some people would like more hardware/software that would better support their carrier. With T-Mobile, a phone that supports their upcoming 700 MHz band and Wi-Fi calling are a couple of features that can be a deal breaker.

still they dont treat youll properly at all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs