Various problems since updating to WP8.1. Help!

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one not liking 8.1? Too many issues, I had hoped that waiting for the official update would mean these had been ironed out, but nope.
Phone battery is rubbish.
IE is awful now, often won't load desktop sites, Ebay will only load the Wap version! Phone gets warm whilst using IE.
Start screen is slow to load tiles.
My carrier app no longer works, so I can't top up my phone.
WiFi no longer connects automatically, I keep accidently using cellular data. Camera is often really slow to load and it was slow before the update, so even worse now. Seems to take longer to save aswell.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I guess that maybe you might want to try a couple of things:

First, I would do a soft reset - hold down volume down and power button together until you feel the second vibration. Let it boot from there and see if this helps.

Second, if this doesn't help, you might want to do a hard reset. This will bring the phone to a pristine condition, all program and data will be erased during this process so make sure you do a backup before you do the hard reset. I would do this only if there is something on the phone you absolutely have to save. If not, don't do the restore and start from scratch. Restoring might reload what was causing the original problems.

Those are the two things I would try first. If these don't help, I'm sure you will be getting other suggestions from other members as well.

Good luck, I have felt your frustration.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I sometimes struggle with the titles people use on these forums, "Hating 8.1" when it would seem to me more appropriate to say something like, I am having a few problems with my * phone.

As far as I am concerned 8.1 is great, no problems at all, but it does seem like you are experiencing a few, would you still hate 8.1 if you didn't have those problems ?

So you have a few options as Aximtreo has mentioned, have you tried contacting MS for support, and it would help people if you let us know what phone you have and maybe a bit more info (Country, carrier etc.)

Bob

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I've tried soft resets, had to as my phone seized up a couple of times. Really can't face a hard reset, I have apps that are no longer available and I don't want to loose them. Also just don't want to have to set it all up again.
I'm using a factory unlocked 1020, in the UK, my carrier is 3.
Would I still hate it? I'd be a bit indifferent I think, after all that waiting and hype. The only thing I really like is the auto upload to OneDrive of the full resolution photos and the transparent tiles are OK.

ParaffinAlien

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same problem with my phone and just found out how to fix it while browsing. I was actually here looking for a solution to the same problem.

Simply make sure your phones settings are correct for date and time zone.

Hope that fixes it.

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Time, date etc is fine. Though that was also another issue, right after the update I thought my photos weren't being saved, found them in the middle of my camera roll, then realised the phone had the wrong date so was saving the photos under the wrong date in the wrong place :s

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I sounded harsh, it sounds like you have problems.

I have a 1520, my wife a 520, the 520 is a low spec phone, but it runs 8.1 very well, I would happily trade my work supplied Samsung running Android for a 520 running 8.1.

I am also in the UK and I am considering replacing my wife's 520 for a 1020 as she can't work her camera but has no problem taking pictures on her phone and the 1020 should be as good a camera as we can get, and as you say, take picture, bingo it's up on OneDrive and viewable on the Xbox One.

The problem with computers (And our phones are really computers) are there are so many variables, settings, installs of software, the way we use them.

And this is why it can be very difficult to tie down an issue and why they build in hard resets, if you can't bring yourself to do the hard reset it can be very time consuming to go through all the settings, and it still could be an app setting from something you installed ages ago, but I suppose it's worth trying to save you the hard reset option.

I think I would start by cleaning up some of the installs, in other words go through all your apps and un-install any that are not needed or can be re-installed easily, then go through the settings, I installed an app the other day called Hardware Tests, I haven't had a proper look at it yet, but it seems to have a lot of tests you can run.

Good luck.

Bob

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I've been having a go at spring cleaning my apps, also I have quite a few app updates to do, which might help.
Just had to soft reset the phone again, as it went dead on me, oddly enough the date was wrong again when it came back to life. 22 May each time...strange.
Will have a look at the hardware tests app, thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo