09-30-2014 11:28 AM
203 1234 ...
tools
    I think even though we keep going on tangent every time such a thread is created, what needs to happen here is - someone has to come forward and pat Microsoft's back! Instead of highlighting what is still lagging - why can't we see that current scores in OP reflects how far WP has come. I am happy to Bing older scores for you but trust me on this - WP7 was where BB10 is on this list. We have come a long way and that wouldn't have happened if everything Microsoft is doing is just simply wrong! Yes, we would be on 8.4 instead of 8.0 if Microsoft did some stuff better, but then we should be content that we are on the right path and Microsoft is only a "follower OS" for another update and from there on, it will lead the innovation as it truly comes par with iOS's continuity etc. - with Threshold. That's what Android lacks and will never have.

Yeh but android is going to merge with chrome OS.so they are trying to emulate continuity.
    09-25-2014 05:58 AM
    I think even though we keep going on tangent every time such a thread is created, what needs to happen here is - someone has to come forward and pat Microsoft's back! Instead of highlighting what is still lagging - why can't we see that current scores in OP reflects how far WP has come. I am happy to Bing older scores for you but trust me on this - WP7 was where BB10 is on this list. We have come a long way and that wouldn't have happened if everything Microsoft is doing is just simply wrong! Yes, we would be on 8.4 instead of 8.0 if Microsoft did some stuff better, but then we should be content that we are on the right path and Microsoft is only a "follower OS" for another update and from there on, it will lead the innovation as it truly comes par with iOS's continuity etc. - with Threshold. That's what Android lacks and will never have.
    Just curious what changes are you expecting in Threshold which will affect Windows Phone? To me it looks like Threshold or Windows 9 or whatever they are calling it is going to be a make-over of Windows 8 geared toward the enterprise, at least for the desktop.
    09-25-2014 06:05 AM
    Yeh but android is going to merge with chrome OS.so they are trying to emulate continuity.
    despite that chrome os is a joke overall compared to maybe say ubuntu or elementary os
    elementary os is the fastest OS ive come across so far and the most compatible ,its better to buy an ultrabook for cheap and install elemenatary os instead of a chromebook
    windows and mac,ios and windows phone merger will easily beat chrome os+android in the future once the merge era is over
    right now windows phone(.appx format apps and bluetooth windows 8.1 and windows phone 8.1 functionality) and ios(64bit socs and ios-mac functionality) have taken merging up notches ahead of android-chrome os
    ven07 and carlos12001 like this.
    09-25-2014 06:08 AM
    Just curious what changes are you expecting in Threshold which will affect Windows Phone? To me it looks like Threshold or Windows 9 or whatever they are calling it is going to be a make-over of Windows 8 geared toward the enterprise, at least for the desktop.
    i think he meant the merging of all microsofts platforms into One OS(like the sound of that)
    hes actually right though,its already started and MS and apple are gonna be ahead in this race
    Cravot likes this.
    09-25-2014 06:10 AM
    [NOTE]This is a thread about talking how far WP8.1 has come from where we saw it a year or two ago, even 4 years back. We DO NOT care if Android lags or if Android handsets get the update or not. Read the OP before you post. Please.[/NOTE]
    Karthik Naik and HeyCori like this.
    09-25-2014 06:55 AM
    [NOTE]This is a thread about talking how far WP8.1 has come from where we saw it a year or two ago, even 4 years back. We DO NOT care if Android lags or if Android handsets get the update or not. Read the OP before you post. Please.[/NOTE]
    My friend, if you're asking the forum to stay on topic you will find yourself talking to imaginary walls. I could list all the positive things WP8 has done just in the last 6 months, let alone 4 years. It's never enough for some folks.
    09-25-2014 08:12 AM
    Ios8 drops calls touch Id doesn't work and if you keep the iPhone 6 plus in your pocket too long it will bend and you can't bend it back
    Karthik Naik and R Robin like this.
    09-25-2014 08:44 AM
    My friend, if you're asking the forum to stay on topic you will find yourself talking to imaginary walls. I could list all the positive things WP8 has done just in the last 6 months, let alone 4 years. It's never enough for some folks.
    Not here at WPCentral. We do things much differently. We've had some excellent conversations and discussions in the past when everyone has only talked on-topic for about 20-25 pages! We can do it - we are good folks like that :)
    09-25-2014 08:50 AM
    Not here at WPCentral. We do things much differently. We've had some excellent conversations and discussions in the past when everyone has only talked on-topic for about 20-25 pages! We can do it - we are good folks like that :)
    Anything else would be....uncivilized.
    Charles Barkley - Right Guard commercial ;-)
    09-25-2014 09:16 AM
    Fortunately for me, i've used all devices, some longer than others.

I've been a windows phone user since focus s, 900, 920, 620, and 1020 and i recently just got an iphone 6 plus.

I've also had experience with an S3, S4, and S5 and briefly used a z10 which i thought was completely horrendous to use t the point i recommended my company to not buy them which we didnt.

IMO though, wp8.1 i wish was the original release of windows phone, if it was, i believe windows phone would be in a better position, but still third. Wp7 and Wp8 which i thought were both very similar were missing so many things and playing catchup to a very competiive market hurt the platform. With that said, after using 8.1 since the preview and experiencing the ios 8 now and s5, to me windows 8.1 does so many things better, faster, and easier than the other platforms. From just navigating your phone, changing settings, changing settings for specific apps, searching, the back button (which i miss) the notification bar which i think works great on wp, and just many other small things. Simply, 8.1 is the easiest of platforms to use amongst the three competitive ones, IMO.
    09-25-2014 10:37 AM
    Fortunately for me, i've used all devices, some longer than others...
    ...Simply, 8.1 is the easiest of platforms to use amongst the three competitive ones, IMO.
    I also have used a lot of devices (and in the past 3 years).

For me WP works best as well...
    • Live Tiles: beats widgets and I get lots of great info at my fingertips (literally and figuratively)
    • Glance Screen: there are some Android emulations of this as well - it just wallops the snot out of a blinking LED
    • Start Screen: customized layout and everything I want or need is just one quick tap away - you could say the same for iOS icon grid as well but it is too static and too much of what you don't want is in the mix
    • Cortana: coming on strong as the best dog-gone thing WP ever did

I just find WP faster, easier and more comprehensive in what matters most to me in a smart phone... Information, notification and device navigation...
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-25-2014 11:16 AM
    I also have used a lot of devices (and in the past 3 years).

For me WP works best as well...
    • Live Tiles: beats widgets and I get lots of great info at my fingertips (literally and figuratively)
    • Glance Screen: there are some Android emulations of this as well - it just wallops the snot out of a blinking LED
    • Start Screen: customized layout and everything I want or need is just one quick tap away - you could say the same for iOS icon grid as well but it is too static and too much of what you don't want is in the mix
    • Cortana: coming on strong as the best dog-gone thing WP ever did

I just find WP faster, easier and more comprehensive in what matters most to me in a smart phone... Information, notification and device navigation...
    I agree with your points with the exception of Glance. My eyesight just ain't that good to make out what's on the screen most of the time, thus my preference for a glowing (blinking - whatever) LED.
    09-25-2014 11:59 AM
    You can tether with Bluetooth in 8.1.1. You can use the Dev preview. Don't worry it's free. Also Windowsdoing phone is not an OS for doing anything you want. It's locked down like iOS just like you said,however just like windows on computers,it's adding add much features as they can while maintaining performance
    well you can tether from the wp to other things but i want the other way, my main sim is in my n5 and id like to share its data with the wp but cant. or i dont believe ican, if its possible please tell me how
    09-25-2014 12:37 PM
    I think he means using his Android phone as the host, not the client. To that end, I don't know of any phone that works as a client regardless of platform.
    my other androids, n4 and n7 do it no problem.
    09-25-2014 12:38 PM
    For good measure, here's a recent breakdown; Smartphones: So Many Apps, So Much Time showing the average number of Apps installed on a phone and the narrow focus of what most App use accomplishes. Sort of puts a real world minimization on how important Apps actually are to most users.
    What that doesn't tell me is how invested people are in their phone's out-of-the-box functionality. Does the iOS user actively manage their iCloud content? Do they know to purchase the latest Taylor Swift CD through Xbox Music? Do people know how to go from phone, to tablet, to desktop while bringing all their content/services with them? I work with the public so I get a sizable mishmash of different users and devices. It amazes me how many people (even young ones) are clueless to what their phone is capable of. I've seen the blank stares when I explain how to transfer pictures from their Android phone to their computer. There are tons of comments across the web about how limited Cortana is. Maybe it doesn't have every single feature from Siri/Google Now, but limited? If anything I feel overwhelmed by what Cortana can do! I think we went from dumb-phones to smartphones with dumb users.

And the biggest misconception from smartphone users that I see is that an app store is some magical land of milk and honey where they're always one app away from transforming their life. In reality most users are going to get a small amount of media consumption apps, photos and games/health apps if they're into that.
    09-25-2014 01:22 PM
    One thing wp miss is Cortana displaying information in action centre which google now easily wins in that.gnow is more useful than Cortana.i applaud google for that it can even understand indian English better which was a hit and miss with Cortana.i love wp not that bloody lame Cortana.She is useless for me.
    From Windows phone
    09-25-2014 01:34 PM
    I agree with your points with the exception of Glance. My eyesight just ain't that good to make out what's on the screen most of the time, thus my preference for a glowing (blinking - whatever) LED.
    Ya agree you I love glance .it I great feature for nokia phones.
    Karthik Naik and dgr_874 like this.
    09-25-2014 01:35 PM
    See... I had a hard time distinguishing some of the shades of color on the LED so I ended up with only some primary ones and even then had to always struggle to remember what each color meant - took too long and I'd just end up waking the phone anyway... I knew I had an alert, but not what App or Service automatically...
    09-25-2014 01:43 PM
    unfortunately though, the app issue is real. I haven't used an iphone as my main for for years, but have had experience of the last occasionally using it on the 4s, 5, and 5s.

The app issue is lack of apps although there are some apps lacking, but i think the major issue with app is the quality. The quality IMO is far better than the Wp versions with FB, instagram, skype to name a few. The quick switch works well on IOS, i wish WP had that ability to quick switch without constantly reloading/resuming. I know it saves battery, but let me make that decision. The ability to just go app to app and have it working on the spot is very convenient as on windows phone it can vary.

One thing is to have app parity, but when you do, the quality needs to be there and right now, it is clearly the wp version of many of the mainstream apps are not as high in quality as other platforms.
    lovenokia likes this.
    09-25-2014 01:57 PM
    ...the app issue is real...
    I agree the App Issue is real. I am just very skeptical that it rates as high of a priority with most users as the tech media would have us believe.
    Karthik Naik and ven07 like this.
    09-25-2014 02:07 PM
    I agree the App Issue is real. I am just very skeptical that it rates as high of a priority with most users as the tech media would have us believe.
    I bought a nexus 5 yesterday. After configuring it around I downloaded all the apps I used on my windows phone. The funny thing is that I did not want any other applications. I had all the applications on my windows phone too. However, the quality of the apps on windows phone is lacking. I would say it is up to the developers and they show that they do not really care about the platform. We already know that there are great apps on windows phone. It is up to the developers to push their apps more!
    09-25-2014 02:21 PM
    I bought a nexus 5 yesterday. After configuring it around I downloaded all the apps I used on my windows phone. The funny thing is that I did not want any other applications. I had all the applications on my windows phone too. However, the quality of the apps on windows phone is lacking. I would say it is up to the developers and they show that they do not really care about the platform. We already know that there are great apps on windows phone. It is up to the developers to push their apps more!
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, apps and their quality are something technophiles like us could appreciate. Let's face it, the general consumer gets their first smartphone and probably stays on that platform out of convenience so they have no idea how green the grass is on the other side. Myself, like so many of us here, change devices for the sheer fun of it so we know better.
    09-25-2014 02:53 PM
    Lol in terms of features WP 8.1=ios8? Impossible, Windows phone 8.1 has many features that are not available on ios. For example,ios does not have
    -FM radio
    -File manager
    -no Bluetooth ftp
    -no dual sim support
    -no micro USB support
    -Sd card support
    -camera doesn't have manual focus
    -MTP(have to rely on iTunes for sync, c'mon this is 2014)
    -no inbuilt WordFlow, and the recently added text prediction sucks.
    -No offline maps
    -No glance/notification led support
    -no double tap to wake up
    -no camera button support
    -can't project screen via USB
    -no battery saver mode
    -Many apps are missing in India.eg.
    IRCTC
    NTES
    DISQUS
    6tag
    NOKIA CAMERA (manual focus)
    Photo beamer
    Project my screen
    Microsoft Office remote
    Song arc
    Office
    Office lens(scanned image to PDF, word,ppt)
    Lexis audio editor
    Tag editor
    Transfer my data
    Lumia auto selfie
    Lumia refocus
    Nokia Car app
    Integrated Skype video call
    Xbox live
    Xbox smart glass
    INCODE
    Music+
    Nokia Mix radio
    Here maps with offline navigation
    Here drive+
    Here transit
    AccuWeather
    Atmosphere
    All Xbox live games!
    Bookviser
    FbReader
    Sparrow Reader
    Data sense
    Xbox music
    Xbox video
    Xbox extras
    Age of Empires: Castle siege

And lots of other basic features.
    09-25-2014 03:18 PM
    Lol in terms of features WP 8.1=ios8? Impossible, Windows phone 8.1 has many features that are not available on ios. For example,ios does not have
    -FM radio
    -File manager
    -no Bluetooth ftp
    -no dual sim support
    -no micro USB support
    -Sd card support
    -camera doesn't have manual focus
    -MTP(have to rely on iTunes for sync, c'mon this is 2014)
    -no inbuilt WordFlow, and the recently added text prediction sucks.
    -No offline maps
    -No glance/notification led support
    -no double tap to wake up
    -no camera button support
    -can't project screen via USB
    -no battery saver mode
    -Many apps are missing in India.eg.
    IRCTC
    NTES
    DISQUS
    6tag
    NOKIA CAMERA (manual focus)
    Photo beamer
    Project my screen
    Microsoft Office remote
    Song arc
    Office
    Office lens(scanned image to PDF, word,ppt)
    Lexis audio editor
    Tag editor
    Transfer my data
    Lumia auto selfie
    Lumia refocus
    Nokia Car app
    Integrated Skype video call
    Xbox live
    Xbox smart glass
    INCODE
    Music+
    Nokia Mix radio
    Here maps with offline navigation
    Here drive+
    Here transit
    AccuWeather
    Atmosphere
    All Xbox live games!
    Bookviser
    FbReader
    Sparrow Reader
    Data sense
    Xbox music
    Xbox video
    Xbox extras
    Age of Empires: Castle siege

And lots of other basic features.

Do you really want to start on missing apps as compared to iOS?
    RumoredNow and dgr_874 like this.
    09-25-2014 04:24 PM
    For example when I had my 900(WP 7) vs 920(WP8) there was a huge drop in ability. It's like BBOS vs BB10, there was also a huge drop of features. Correction: features that people USE. On this site and many others it is easy to quickly dismiss other platforms as having useless features and tell yourself that well, "I don't need them, I get by just fine." Then when a feature comes out exclusive to your brand you are quick to rub it into other platform's noses.

I was one of those people who left WP because it lacked 1) Support for basic features and 2) Microsoft's backing. We waited and waited and waited until I saw people dropping off one by one until I finally gave up on Microsoft to give me the functional phone I wanted when the disappointment that was Portico was released. I LOVE the tile design but when I had my phone, what good were tiles when they didn't update correctly? My 920 was cool and unique even if it did have hardware problems. How did Apple revamp iOS 6 to iOS 7 and not lose any features? That is what Microsoft and BlackBerry needs to do. A lot of BB's user base did not upgrade to BB10 for example because it lost features that they needed and wanted. I understand they don't have as many programmers but when you are redesigning your OS make sure the features that people come to expect on any major smartphone are there and show app developers that you are committed to making the OS better and better and better. If you don't have those features, you don't wait two years to properly implement them if the demand is there.

This is a lot like relationships. When you SO tells you they will change and they'll be better yet their actions say otherwise, do you continue to believe them? How many years does it take for them to keep saying that before you finally say enough? I understand people have different tolerances though. I commend you all in supporting WP through the rough patches though, you are all quite loyal fans :) I'm sure many people are waiting like myself to give WP another try when it shows confidence
    09-25-2014 04:55 PM
203 1234 ...