iOS8 vs WP8.1 vs Android 4.4 vs BB10

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
One thing wp miss is Cortana displaying information in action centre which google now easily wins in that.gnow is more useful than Cortana.i applaud google for that it can even understand indian English better which was a hit and miss with Cortana.i love wp not that bloody lame Cortana.She is useless for me.
From Windows phone

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with your points with the exception of Glance. My eyesight just ain't that good to make out what's on the screen most of the time, thus my preference for a glowing (blinking - whatever) LED.

See... I had a hard time distinguishing some of the shades of color on the LED so I ended up with only some primary ones and even then had to always struggle to remember what each color meant - took too long and I'd just end up waking the phone anyway... I knew I had an alert, but not what App or Service automatically...

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
unfortunately though, the app issue is real. I haven't used an iphone as my main for for years, but have had experience of the last occasionally using it on the 4s, 5, and 5s.

The app issue is lack of apps although there are some apps lacking, but i think the major issue with app is the quality. The quality IMO is far better than the Wp versions with FB, instagram, skype to name a few. The quick switch works well on IOS, i wish WP had that ability to quick switch without constantly reloading/resuming. I know it saves battery, but let me make that decision. The ability to just go app to app and have it working on the spot is very convenient as on windows phone it can vary.

One thing is to have app parity, but when you do, the quality needs to be there and right now, it is clearly the wp version of many of the mainstream apps are not as high in quality as other platforms.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree the App Issue is real. I am just very skeptical that it rates as high of a priority with most users as the tech media would have us believe.

I bought a nexus 5 yesterday. After configuring it around I downloaded all the apps I used on my windows phone. The funny thing is that I did not want any other applications. I had all the applications on my windows phone too. However, the quality of the apps on windows phone is lacking. I would say it is up to the developers and they show that they do not really care about the platform. We already know that there are great apps on windows phone. It is up to the developers to push their apps more!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought a nexus 5 yesterday. After configuring it around I downloaded all the apps I used on my windows phone. The funny thing is that I did not want any other applications. I had all the applications on my windows phone too. However, the quality of the apps on windows phone is lacking. I would say it is up to the developers and they show that they do not really care about the platform. We already know that there are great apps on windows phone. It is up to the developers to push their apps more!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, apps and their quality are something technophiles like us could appreciate. Let's face it, the general consumer gets their first smartphone and probably stays on that platform out of convenience so they have no idea how green the grass is on the other side. Myself, like so many of us here, change devices for the sheer fun of it so we know better.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Lol in terms of features WP 8.1=ios8? Impossible, Windows phone 8.1 has many features that are not available on ios. For example,ios does not have
-FM radio
-File manager
-no Bluetooth ftp
-no dual sim support
-no micro USB support
-Sd card support
-camera doesn't have manual focus
-MTP(have to rely on iTunes for sync, c'mon this is 2014)
-no inbuilt WordFlow, and the recently added text prediction sucks.
-No offline maps
-No glance/notification led support
-no double tap to wake up
-no camera button support
-can't project screen via USB
-no battery saver mode
-Many apps are missing in India.eg.
IRCTC
NTES
DISQUS
6tag
NOKIA CAMERA (manual focus)
Photo beamer
Project my screen
Microsoft Office remote
Song arc
Office
Office lens(scanned image to PDF, word,ppt)
Lexis audio editor
Tag editor
Transfer my data
Lumia auto selfie
Lumia refocus
Nokia Car app
Integrated Skype video call
Xbox live
Xbox smart glass
INCODE
Music+
Nokia Mix radio
Here maps with offline navigation
Here drive+
Here transit
AccuWeather
Atmosphere
All Xbox live games!
Bookviser
FbReader
Sparrow Reader
Data sense
Xbox music
Xbox video
Xbox extras
Age of Empires: Castle siege

And lots of other basic features.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lol in terms of features WP 8.1=ios8? Impossible, Windows phone 8.1 has many features that are not available on ios. For example,ios does not have
-FM radio
-File manager
-no Bluetooth ftp
-no dual sim support
-no micro USB support
-Sd card support
-camera doesn't have manual focus
-MTP(have to rely on iTunes for sync, c'mon this is 2014)
-no inbuilt WordFlow, and the recently added text prediction sucks.
-No offline maps
-No glance/notification led support
-no double tap to wake up
-no camera button support
-can't project screen via USB
-no battery saver mode
-Many apps are missing in India.eg.
IRCTC
NTES
DISQUS
6tag
NOKIA CAMERA (manual focus)
Photo beamer
Project my screen
Microsoft Office remote
Song arc
Office
Office lens(scanned image to PDF, word,ppt)
Lexis audio editor
Tag editor
Transfer my data
Lumia auto selfie
Lumia refocus
Nokia Car app
Integrated Skype video call
Xbox live
Xbox smart glass
INCODE
Music+
Nokia Mix radio
Here maps with offline navigation
Here drive+
Here transit
AccuWeather
Atmosphere
All Xbox live games!
Bookviser
FbReader
Sparrow Reader
Data sense
Xbox music
Xbox video
Xbox extras
Age of Empires: Castle siege

And lots of other basic features.

Do you really want to start on missing apps as compared to iOS?

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
For example when I had my 900(WP 7) vs 920(WP8) there was a huge drop in ability. It's like BBOS vs BB10, there was also a huge drop of features. Correction: features that people USE. On this site and many others it is easy to quickly dismiss other platforms as having useless features and tell yourself that well, "I don't need them, I get by just fine." Then when a feature comes out exclusive to your brand you are quick to rub it into other platform's noses.

I was one of those people who left WP because it lacked 1) Support for basic features and 2) Microsoft's backing. We waited and waited and waited until I saw people dropping off one by one until I finally gave up on Microsoft to give me the functional phone I wanted when the disappointment that was Portico was released. I LOVE the tile design but when I had my phone, what good were tiles when they didn't update correctly? My 920 was cool and unique even if it did have hardware problems. How did Apple revamp iOS 6 to iOS 7 and not lose any features? That is what Microsoft and BlackBerry needs to do. A lot of BB's user base did not upgrade to BB10 for example because it lost features that they needed and wanted. I understand they don't have as many programmers but when you are redesigning your OS make sure the features that people come to expect on any major smartphone are there and show app developers that you are committed to making the OS better and better and better. If you don't have those features, you don't wait two years to properly implement them if the demand is there.

This is a lot like relationships. When you SO tells you they will change and they'll be better yet their actions say otherwise, do you continue to believe them? How many years does it take for them to keep saying that before you finally say enough? I understand people have different tolerances though. I commend you all in supporting WP through the rough patches though, you are all quite loyal fans :) I'm sure many people are waiting like myself to give WP another try when it shows confidence

mark2410

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
i think regarding apps the issue isnt number, its quality. or maybe its just when you search for things the no doubt bing powered search is err, poo.

maybe the apps are poo or maybe its just findnig them. actually bing is the worst aspect of cortana, its a clever feature up untill it "bings" something. there is a reason no one uses bing, no matter how many times google do soemthing to irritate me and i try to use bing to spite them. the fact is bing is just no where near as good.

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
While I would agree that iOS is somewhat behind when it comes to the home screen, the lock screen notifications somewhat make up for it, Windows Phone has pretty terrible lock screen notifications.

Both OSes need to improve on this.

Just my opinion.

Yeah, but the iOS home screen is just depressing and pretty much offers no info. At least the lock screen notifications on WP are still functional (5 quick statuses and a detailed preview that I use for email). You can also pull the notification center down on the lockscreen which is mostly what the iphone's lock screen is. My big problem with WP right now is how limited the notification center's quick actions are.

Also, look, see how much info I can get for my day by simply unlocking my phone. iOS is more than somewhat behind IMO. The 318 tile flips as well to give me my daily task list. It shows the next 7 tasks by priority or due date. Flipping can also be turned off. The budget buddy app also flips to give me a detailed look of my budget.
JHmAwCl.jpg

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Do you really want to start on missing apps as compared to iOS?
Lets start then..... Please read my comment again. I said INDIA specifically. There is literally no app gap for WP in India. It has also been mentioned by WPC quite a few times. Read carefully before commenting sarcastically please. Also, the app arguement is kind of moot anyway,I could point out a few thousand more apps or more that are not on ios, and you could do the same. But in India, that is not the case. iOS is far behind when it comes to apps,as very very few people own ios. WP is the second most used OS there. Devs don't prefer to build for ios, they obviously go for the larger populace. For example, you can't book train tickets in India using ios or Android. But you can using WP as they have an official IRCTC app. All the apps I mentioned above are not on Android, too. WP gets a lot of love in India

ScruffyT

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
When I want your opinion, I'll just give it to you. Just kidding of course, iOS & WP suck at notifications for the simple fact that a glowing LED could tell you there's something, perhaps important, that needs your attention. I can't wrap my head around this glaring omission. Palm Treos used to have their LED under the paint so you couldn't even know they were there until they started to glow in red or green.

Glance is solid but some people who have poor eyesight may not like it. Also, I have to admit that some angles make it hard to see. My phone is usually near me though.

I think this is a fallacy. *snip*

[/URL]

I only skimmed your post, but ultimately this is what I've been saying for years. Apple "app for that" commercials really did their work, at least here in the US. I downloaded tons, and I mean tons, of apps when I first got my iphone. Heck, I probably downloaded a bunch of apps consistently for the first year or so. But I never really came close to using all, or most, of them. They were just taking up space. Back in my TA days when I was an avid iOS gamer, we would even call our habits "popcorn gaming."

But, even with all that being said, there is a clear disparity when it comes to games, support, and apps in general. And every now and then I do wish I had a couple of apps that are on, or acre coming to, iOS on WP.

Haha
It's not apps but technology which is making us lazy.

You should stop using technology and see how it goes

I actually wrote a term paper on this exact subject. It's actually an interesting subject. On one hand the case can be made that tech does make us lazy or think less. On the other hand. it has the ability to let us focus on more important things. An example would be using the full organizational capabilities of a smart device and only focusing on doing the work. It's one of those things: are people just lazy or does tech make them lazy? What is laziness? Is being on fb all day lazy or simply unproductive. How do we solve the problems? Motivational rewards through things like achievements appear to work for adults, not just kids. The paper is from a couple years ago, but I'm pretty sure my main point was that these are growing pangs that can be ironed out fairly easily.

edit (Regarding my last paragraph) It doesn't even really take into account things like occupational psych and escapism.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Lets start then..... Please read my comment again. I said INDIA specifically. There is literally no app gap for WP in India. It has also been mentioned by WPC quite a few times. Read carefully before commenting sarcastically please. Also, the app arguement is kind of moot anyway,I could point out a few thousand more apps or more that are not on ios, and you could do the same. But in India, that is not the case. iOS is far behind when it comes to apps,as very very few people own ios. WP is the second most used OS there. Devs don't prefer to build for ios, they obviously go for the larger populace. For example, you can't book train tickets in India using ios or Android. But you can using WP as they have an official IRCTC app. All the apps I mentioned above are not on Android, too. WP gets a lot of love in India

Oh is it so I do not know about iOS app gap in India.i don't understand iOS is used by rich still no apps by developers shame on the developers.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For professional iPhone is only way to go.it has many apps for their profession especially if you are in medical field.
From Windows phone

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
For professional iPhone is only way to go.it has many apps for their profession especially if you are in medical field.
From Windows phone

I would disagree.

Yes iOS has lots of great applications, but I've seen a lot of doctors in my country using Android.

No offense but if you we're comparing iOS with Windows Phone, then I'll agree iOS will be the better OS for professionals.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
From Windows phone
Lol I'm a medical student, and know a lot of doctors who use WP (Lumia 520, 1020 even) and there isn't any shortage of medical apps. Besides, indian doctors don't use smartphones that much for apps. Only for the occasional web and email, medical journal etc, which they prefer to read on a laptop or desktop computer at their clinic. I don't se iPhone helping or contributing in any significant way in the medical field. A WPC article once stated doctors who used a1020 to record a surgery. So, the final conclusion about Apps-medical students may use them, doctors very very rarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss