The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
09-30-2014 11:28 AM
203 ... 56789
tools
    Some of you are just itching to get this thread closed so you can start another.

Lather, rise, repeat.
    Lather, rise, repeat.
    Lather, rise, repeat.
    tgp and Karthik Naik like this.
    09-29-2014 07:42 PM
    I, like you, no longer use WP. I still have my trusty Lumia 820 and keep it updated because I like WP, but it is not my daily driver for reasons that are my own. That said...

the large number of open-minded conversations and users
    Where are you finding either of those? From my chair, all that I see towards anyone that doesn't unequivocally put WP up as the most innovative, most reliable, and best mobile OS despite obvious shortcomings is usually labelled an "iSheep" or a "fandroid".
    09-29-2014 07:58 PM
    The funny part of this thread is that no one has mentioned BB OS10. An excellent OS that was ripped apart at launch by the "experts" who didn't know how to use the gestures and doomed to fail because they didn't have a gazillion apps available at launch. For webOS refugees like myself, it was the obvious choice since Meego was no-go (stillborn) thanks to Eflop.
    09-29-2014 09:37 PM
    The funny part of this thread is that no one has mentioned BB OS10. An excellent OS that was ripped apart at launch by the "experts" who didn't know how to use the gestures and doomed to fail because they didn't have a gazillion apps available at launch. For webOS refugees like myself, it was the obvious choice since Meego was no-go (stillborn) thanks to Eflop.
    i did i just bought a Z10 to supplement my 720
    BB10 is a highly under estimated OS,wish people realized the amount of effore blackberry took to add soo many gestures and features which is missing on every other platform
    such as the swipe to the left on the keyboard to delete stuff
    or even BB Passports new keyboard ,touch sensitive and mechanical
    09-29-2014 09:47 PM
    Hahaha....
    Do I need to post your comments on Android here?

I don't know users who calls Android is superior but I know users who called WP superior and name Android OS as lagdroid, malware etc

You also hate Android, Google and every Google services which you mentioned in various thread.
    keep dreaming
    i give credit where due
    i own a nexus 5,L720,L820 and a BB Z10
    i know which one has what limit
    i dont prefer google because they have turned into a hungry company
    you,salmanahmad and that visa declined guy cant accept androids shortcomings which is why every one has to list them out for you in every thread
    if i was a windows phone fanboy explain why im supposedly also an ios,aosp,BB10,meego,maemo,symbian fanboy as well
    bonghy90 likes this.
    09-29-2014 09:51 PM
    I never even saw a webOS smartphone in a carrier store, much less in the wild (then again I didn't go looking for any and didn't use Sprint). I do know someone who an HP Touchpad.

I was one person who failed with the gestures of BB10. I picked up a Z10 in a T-Mobile store shortly after it was released and couldn't figure out how to open the browser after fumbling around for 15 minutes, so I put it down and walked out of the store.

I am able to pick up iPhones/Androids and use them without reading any manuals, so a device that requires one to read a manual is a no-go for me. I haven't touched a BB10 device since then and won't now (since I'm done with physical keypads), and it looks like BlackBerry is done with touchscreen devices.
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 09-29-2014 at 10:09 PM.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-29-2014 09:52 PM
    keep dreaming
    i give credit where due
    i own a nexus 5,L720,L820 and a BB Z10
    i know which one has what limit
    i dont prefer google because they have turned into a hungry company
    you,salmanahmad and that visa declined guy cant accept androids shortcomings which is why every one has to list them out for you in every thread
    if i was a windows phone fanboy explain why im supposedly also an ios,aosp,BB10,meego,maemo,symbian fanboy as well
    Some people just can't stomach the fact that their choice turned out to be the wrong choice. That's why they need to vent out their frustration and hope that others will follow their opinions and end up frustrated too. Take it easy.

As so many people have said, every os has its strengths and weaknesses. However, when it comes to fluidity(we are talking long term here), windows phone and ios tend to have the upper hand. Android tries to accomplish too much, resulting in the lag every user experiences.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-29-2014 10:02 PM
    I never even saw a webOS smartphone in a carrier store, much less in the wild (then again I didn't go looking for any and didn't use Sprint). I do know someone who an HP Touchpad.

I was one person who failed with the gestures of BB10. I picked one up in a T-Mobile store shortly after it was released and couldn't figure out how to open the browser after fumbling around for 15 minutes, so I put it down and walked out of the store.

I am able to pick up iPhones/Androids and use them without reading any manuals, so a device that requires one to read a manual is a no-go for me. I haven't touched a BB10 device since then and won't now (since I'm done with physical keypads), and it looks like BlackBerry is done with touchscreen devices.
    You mean they're done with all-touchscreen devices. I don't blame BB for re-introducing physical keyboards since they may as well try to get some of their faithful back. The BB Classic due later this year is even bringing back the send/end buttons AND the trackpad. I don't know why since OS10 is a gesture driven UI.

It's funny you mention never having used a webOS device but you're using its spirit everyday. Swipe-to-delete emails, swipe away notifications, swipe gestures to close apps were all hallmarks of webOS and remember it was launched in the summer of '09. Contact integration with social media was practically invented with Synergy and I've yet to see it being done better than Palm's version. Here we are 5 years later and these features are becoming ubiquitous on all platforms. Glance? We called a more feature-rich version of that "Exhibition" which came with webOS 2.0 right when HP purchased Palm. Downright shame the hardware was such utter garbage.
    09-29-2014 10:09 PM
    Some people just can't stomach the fact that their choice turned out to be the wrong choice. That's why they need to vent out their frustration and hope that others will follow their opinions and end up frustrated too. Take it easy.

As so many people have said, every os has its strengths and weaknesses. However, when it comes to fluidity(we are talking long term here), windows phone and ios tend to have the upper hand. Android tries to accomplish too much, resulting in the lag every user experiences.
    Better than not trying to accomplish enough and sitting in single digit market share. Guess which approach is winning?
    09-29-2014 10:10 PM
    I think this is a fallacy. It was created by Apple. Google got involved in furthering it as they neared App parity with iOS. Tech media pundits hammer on this point and users keep saying it. That doesn't make it true or even a majority opinion. I hear few users (outside of these sorts of stilted forum discussions) boasting how many Apps they have on their phone and how many are available for install.

It's a matter of perspective and also one of deception. Apps feed into UX, but not necessarily as the main component. Who stays with a mobile OS that makes them miserable just because it has so many Apps? Now... being heavily invested in an ecosystem makes a bigger difference. It becomes burdensome to move all your data, cloud backup, media and settings... Agreed. But actual App count in a store? How many Apps can you use in a day? In a week? In a month? How many Apps are downloaded and quickly forgotten? Or uninstalled because they really don't accomplish what the user wants? Or behave as desired?

Use as many Apps as you can for a whole year... Go ahead. Start alphabetically. In a year you wouldn't use more than a fraction of the 1,375,751 Apps on Google Play*.

"Apps carry a higher amount of weight than anything else," may work as a personal statement for some, but not as a generalization. @jonnaver - How many of your phone purchase decisions have honestly been driven by App count or need for one specialized App? I talk to people about phones all the time, I rarely hear about such a thing... Statistically, from my unscientific sample, it is way less than 10%.

App quantity or need for one particular App has never defined what phone or tablet purchase I've made. Overall User eXperience (UX) has always been a deciding factor and let the App situation fall where it may...

App quantity as a driving force for mobile device purchase makes little sense in the long term. "I hate this device, but man, I have like twenty seven file managers on this bad boy!" Really? Is that how consumers determine where they spend significant amounts of money? Tech is not cheap. Unless you are a tech journalist that gets handed devices for free all the time, App parity is probably not the number one priority on your shopping list. UX and enjoyability, reliability and hardware spec; these make more fiscal sense as determining factors. I for one don't want to plunk down hundreds of dollars on something I hate navigating around on and which holds little aesthetic value for me in terms of interface. You can throw as many free versions of Angry Birds as you want on top of a mess and it won't sway me one bit...

For good measure, here's a recent breakdown; Smartphones: So Many Apps, So Much Time showing the average number of Apps installed on a phone and the narrow focus of what most App use accomplishes. Sort of puts a real world minimization on how important Apps actually are to most users.

*Updated 24 Sept, 2014: Number of available Android applications - AppBrain
    That's quite a speech, but whether you choose to believe it or not, most people obviously are buying where the apps are and developers are going where the buyers are.
    09-29-2014 10:13 PM
    You mean they're done with all-touchscreen devices. I don't blame BB for re-introducing physical keyboards since they may as well try to get some of their faithful back. The BB Classic due later this year is even bringing back the send/end buttons AND the trackpad. I don't know why since OS10 is a gesture driven UI.

It's funny you mention never having used a webOS device but you're using its spirit everyday. Swipe-to-delete emails, swipe away notifications, swipe gestures to close apps were all hallmarks of webOS and remember it was launched in the summer of '09. Contact integration with social media was practically invented with Synergy and I've yet to see it being done better than Palm's version. Here we are 5 years later and these features are becoming ubiquitous on all platforms. Glance? We called a more feature-rich version of that "Exhibition" which came with webOS 2.0 right when HP purchased Palm. Downright shame the hardware was such utter garbage.
    I found out what you're saying is true after reading some of the old webOSNation blogs about the gestures, and I agree that that swiping away notifications in WP8.1 is very similar.

I don't think it helped that webOS was for Sprint either. I had AT&T and would've never considered Sprint, due to many family/friends here leaving Sprint due to problems (dropped calls, slow data, bad customer service).
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-29-2014 10:16 PM
    I, like you, no longer use WP. I still have my trusty Lumia 820 and keep updated because I like WP, but it is not my daily driver for reasons that are my own. That said...

Where are you finding either of those? From my chair, all that I see towards anyone that doesn't unequivocally put WP up as the most innovative, most reliable, and best mobile OS despite obvious shortcomings is usually labelled an "iSheep" or a "fandroid".
    Sadly, I am leaning in your opinion here. Generally there are a number of open-minded users but more so lately it's become quick to respond narrow defenses that really don't equate to anything more than banter without substance, or just a non-fanboyish opinion. I know there are the group of loyal WP users willing to admit the OS MAY BE LACKING in some areas, and the same can be said about Android or iOS to an extent in my books. I guess It comes with brand loyalty, which I can never comprehend. I just go with what works for me, not what's told of me to prefer or what the media wants me to prefer (I.e. PS4, while its the definitive current console I still got an Xbox One because I prefer the controller, plain and simple... while the media and general public would say the decision was the 'wrong one').
    Karthik Naik and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-29-2014 11:00 PM
    Hahaha....
    Do I need to post your comments on Android here?

I don't know users who calls Android is superior but I know users who called WP superior and name Android OS as lagdroid, malware etc

You also hate Android, Google and every Google services which you mentioned in various thread.
    Well truth is always bitter. Android lags & gets a virus, wp doesn't. If you think that makes me or any other person a fan boy, it doesn't matter to me
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-29-2014 11:14 PM
    Well truth is always bitter. Android lags & gets a virus, wp doesn't. If you think that makes me or any other person a fan boy, it doesn't matter to me
    Much of that depends upon the user. Nobody I know had lag or virus on their Androids. I think the lag was more of a problem of earlier devices. Virus is mainly a problem of users installing from sites other than official store. It's the same pretty much with Windows PCs and viruses. I don't know anyone who got virus on their PC in the past 10 years, but the people I know don't visit dodgy sites like pr0n sites.
    iamtim likes this.
    09-29-2014 11:19 PM
    Nobody I know had lag or virus on their Androids.
    I used a Samsung Captivate (AT&T's GALAXY S) and a Nexus 7 tablet for about a year each. While I ultimately decided that I really dislike Android, that was due to UI issues; both devices performed excellently and neither had virus issues.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-29-2014 11:40 PM
    Much of that depends upon the user. Nobody I know had lag or virus on their Androids. I think the lag was more of a problem of earlier devices. Virus is mainly a problem of users installing from sites other than official store. It's the same pretty much with Windows PCs and viruses. I don't know anyone who got virus on their PC in the past 10 years, but the people I know don't visit dodgy sites like pr0n sites.
    My friend has note 3, kikat, his phone lags. Isnt that too much for a phone having such monstrous specs?
    Well my friend bought nexus 5, his phone got a virus in less than a week, isn't that too much? Sometimes I really feel sorry for them
    Last edited by psoham777; 09-29-2014 at 11:57 PM.
    09-29-2014 11:46 PM
    What is the percentage of Android users? How many of them complain about viruses?

Has this ever occurred to you maybe?

If Android was as malware ridden, laggy why did people not stop purchasing Android devices and simply move to the perfect Windows Phones?
    Most of them buy android because their friends/colleagues have it. If I recommend android to my family members or my parents saying that, "hey mom, dad buy an android phone because its got more games", well they'll surely be annoyed & I'll hear a long lecture from them. I can recommend WP to them because they need very basic apps, not extraordinary special apps which are not available in WP. They just need a smooth phone, with some basic apps that's it. If tomorrow I recommend them an android & say they do something in their phone & by mistake if it catches a virus, I might even be grounded.

Popularity has nothing to do with whether an OS is good or not. Just because only a few can buy a Rolls Royce doesn't make it the worst car, or Samsung doesn't become the best company as it sells more phones. It's just a personal choice which OS you prefer.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-29-2014 11:55 PM
    Everyone has their favorite OS with their favorite niches. For me iOS and any variant of Android is just boring compared to WP. I can see who's posting on their FB or twitter page, I can see what the forecast is for the week, latest news, story of the day on Wikipedia, and a gambit of other info without doing anything if its on my start screen. No motionless icons waiting for you to do something. Live tiles feed you information. I just feel that WP interacts with you on a more personal level. Sure you have widgets and the notification centers which are more robust than the action center, but there's nothing like the live tiles, and you now combine that with Cortana which in my opinion supersedes Google now and Siri, WP is just picking up steam where iOS and Android have reached their Zenith. Guess only time will tell, but I bet those guys are as interested with what Threshold is about, because that could be a game changer.
    09-30-2014 12:06 AM
    Everyone has their favorite OS with their favorite niches. For me iOS and any variant of Android is just boring compared to WP. I can see who's posting on their FB or twitter page, I can see what the forecast is for the week, latest news, story of the day on Wikipedia, and a gambit of other info without doing anything if its on my start screen. No motionless icons waiting for you to do something. Live tiles feed you information. I just feel that WP interacts with you on a more personal level. Sure you have widgets and the notification centers which are more robust than the action center, but there's nothing like the live tiles, and you now combine that with Cortana which in my opinion supersedes Google now and Siri, WP is just picking up steam where iOS and Android have reached their Zenith. Guess only time will tell, but I bet those guys are as interested with what Threshold is about, because that could be a game changer.
    I agree with your every point.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-30-2014 12:18 AM
    Whats actually humorous is the discussion (title of thread) lead to the understanding that the overall conversation is to talk about ALL OS's available, their differences and obviously rejoice WP in what has been accomplished. time WP7/8/8.1 user...I had my reasons to leave, but thoroughly enjoy (a lot, maybe not ALL) conversations and this community. Does this mean I shouldnt post on this forum anymore? "But why are you still on WP forums if you own an Android?" have the specific Android guy creeping up here and bashing WP frequently but please do not believe that is ALL Android users visiting this site.
    Bud, I wasn't even referring to you. I'd read your comments and was taking them on board. The fact that you responded this way obviously shows that you thought they could be directed at you.

If you want to discuss Androids merits over WP feel free to inbox me, I'm stuck on deciding what to buy next.

Unlike as it seems with a lot of mobile users I have NO loyalty towards a particular brand or os. I buy what I believe is best for me at the time. These companies are out to make money pure and simple and couldn't care less if you/we left their platform as long as they continued to make profit.

My only real problem on here is people don't seem to understand 'PERSONAL OPINION' And what is better for one doesn't necessarily make it better for another.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-30-2014 01:35 AM
    Many people don't know their Android and PC have viruses because not all viruses popup messages and tell you to pay or get rid of them.
    psoham777 and Karthik Naik like this.
    09-30-2014 01:49 AM
    So, WP8.1 has come so far...

Does anyone remember the days when we had no copy+paste and WP was a "doomed" OS?
    Does anyone remember the 1% - "I'm in the 1%" was a thing.

Looking back from there to today - from when sites like Verge didn't even acknowledge the existence of WP and now, score WP as good as iOS and Android. Just for a second, let us put away the marketshare and mindshare. Let us put away the fact that for every 1 WP sold, there are 10 iPhones and 50 Androids that sell. Numbers and maths is clearly not WP's thing. Design and Functionality is. The new found strategy of only targeting the lower end of market for 11 months and then 1 month of high-end marketing combined with the fact that WP is on par for design, functions and features with big dogs, surely gives WP a healthy chance of grabbing the next billion feature phone users, right?

Yes, now that we are all on this site, we are clearly not going to buy our "first smartphone" so many of you may stick here like me, some may go and get something different etc. - but let the below facts sink in...

Windows Phone 7 - Lumia 900 - remember this megastar? - The Verge score 7.0, yeah lower than even BB10. This was 2 years ago.

Then..
    Windows Phone 8 - The Verge score 7.9

WP8.1 even though such a massive achievement features-parity wise, is only a 0.1 increment on Verge score though.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-30-2014 05:38 AM
    So, WP8.1 has come so far...

Does anyone remember the days when we had no copy+paste and WP was a "doomed" OS?
    Does anyone remember the 1% - "I'm in the 1%" was a thing.

Looking back from there to today - from when sites like Verge didn't even acknowledge the existence of WP and now, score WP as good as iOS and Android. Just for a second, let us put away the marketshare and mindshare. Let us put away the fact that for every 1 WP sold, there are 10 iPhones and 50 Androids that sell. Numbers and maths is clearly not WP's thing. Design and Functionality is. The new found strategy of only targeting the lower end of market for 11 months and then 1 month of high-end marketing combined with the fact that WP is on par for design, functions and features with big dogs, surely gives WP a healthy chance of grabbing the next billion feature phone users, right?

Yes, now that we are all on this site, we are clearly not going to buy our "first smartphone" so many of you may stick here like me, some may go and get something different etc. - but let the below facts sink in...

Windows Phone 7 - Lumia 900 - remember this megastar? - The Verge score 7.0, yeah lower than even BB10. This was 2 years ago.

Then..
    Windows Phone 8 - The Verge score 7.9

WP8.1 even though such a massive achievement features-parity wise, is only a 0.1 increment on Verge score though.

Correction

WP 7.8 did able to copy and paste text
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    09-30-2014 06:04 AM
    So, if the OS don't suit, then bad mouthing on that OS is good or not?

Same applied to companies
    If you don't like company policies then is it smart to insult that company?
    says the guy who insults microsoft for no reason
    oh and i know some of my friends who are extreme pro-android but are still willing to accept that googles policies etc are pathetic
    09-30-2014 07:00 AM
    Windows also hang and get virus.
    Linux is lot better in this and it doesn't cost you a penny.
    Mac & Windows both can be easily hacked by hacker but no hacker I able to hack Linux till.

Who is better OS now?
    Mac , Windows or Linux.

Whatever your answer is also applied with
    iOS, Android and WP.
    stop using such false logic with false facts
    windows doesnt hang anymore,windows 8.1 runs buttery smooth even on my old core 2 duo laptop and my pentium 4 pc with 2gb and 1gb ram respectively
    Linux fails because its tougher to setup and install software(use apt commands in terminal when its one click on windows) etc than windows ,an exception is elementary os which has streamlined linux a bit
    linux is easier to hack thanks to superuser breaches etc
    linux may be free etc but sometimes feels very fragmented-debian,fedora etc,and different formats for each(targ.gz etc)

mac is a different story,people like to try and be cool using a mac without knowing anything about it
    but the real application of a mac is for professionals like editing sound,movies etc
    or even business people and enthusiasts who really like apple for what it is,not using it to showoff etc and arguably macbook air 11" is a great buy with oodles of battery life in it,though in recent times,there are windows alternatives which do just as well

ohh and one more point,most of the population cannot afford a mac and OSX cannot be installed on other computers(atleast legally or bugfree etc) so this logic is invalid

you cannot compare pcs and phones this way with false facts

anyways this is going wayy OT,so stop
    Last edited by Karthik Naik; 09-30-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    09-30-2014 07:01 AM
203 ... 56789