iOS8 vs WP8.1 vs Android 4.4 vs BB10

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Lol I'm a medical student, and know a lot of doctors who use WP (Lumia 520, 1020 even) and there isn't any shortage of medical apps. Besides, indian doctors don't use smartphones that much for apps. Only for the occasional web and email, medical journal etc, which they prefer to read on a laptop or desktop computer at their clinic. I don't se iPhone helping or contributing in any significant way in the medical field. A WPC article once stated doctors who used a1020 to record a surgery. So, the final conclusion about Apps-medical students may use them, doctors very very rarely.

My cousin being a doctor spends a lot of his time using Medscape on his Android phone, no official app for it can be found on Windows Phone according to my searches.

Add to that Android and iPhone also have official emergency medical apps for regular people that give offline videos tutorials in case of any kind of emergency.

The medical profession and most other professions is aided better by Android and iPhone.

While yes I also read the 1020 is used for research due to it's insane 41 MP camera, that's nice. 👍

luxnws

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
i think regarding apps the issue isnt number, its quality. or maybe its just when you search for things the no doubt bing powered search is err, poo.

maybe the apps are poo or maybe its just findnig them. actually bing is the worst aspect of cortana, its a clever feature up untill it "bings" something. there is a reason no one uses bing, no matter how many times google do soemthing to irritate me and i try to use bing to spite them. the fact is bing is just no where near as good.

Bing search results have improved over the past 4-5 years although I've read that Bing might be spotty in some non-U.S. countries. For my use, Bing is now good enough that I've gone from almost 100% Google/0% Bing search ratio a few years ago to about 50%/50% now.

Cortana paired with Bing services is 'okay enough' at the moment. When you think of how many people actually have access to Cortana given tiny WP's market share in the U.S. and then of that number how many actually use Cortana daily, it's a small number. When more users have access to Cortana as MS includes it in their other products, the overall results should improve. Hopefully that will carry over to international markets too.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Bing search results have improved over the past 4-5 years although I've read that Bing might be spotty in some non-U.S. countries. For my use, Bing is now good enough that I've gone from almost 100% Google/0% Bing search ratio a few years ago to about 50%/50% now.

Cortana paired with Bing services is 'okay enough' at the moment. When you think of how many people actually have access to Cortana given tiny WP's market share in the U.S. and then of that number how many actually use Cortana daily, it's a small number. When more users have access to Cortana as MS includes it in their other products, the overall results should improve. Hopefully that will carry over to international markets too.

Bing is better than Google. Else, why would Siri use Bing? ;) - WP and iOS both use Bing for their personal assistant's assistant. Only Google uses Google and that is because it wants more data for selling.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
My cousin being a doctor spends a lot of his time using Medscape on his Android phone, no official app for it can be found on Windows Phone according to my searches.

Add to that Android and iPhone also have official emergency medical apps for regular people that give offline videos tutorials in case of any kind of emergency.

The medical profession and most other professions is aided better by Android and iPhone.

While yes I also read the 1020 is used for research due to it's insane 41 MP camera, that's nice. 👍

true dat!! my cousin is doing MBBS as well and needs an iphone for his college

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

While yes I also read the 1020 is used for research due to it's insane 41 MP camera, that's nice. 

Epocrates is the quintessential medical app and it's not available for WP yet. I know Android has it because it's on my wife's phone. This is a huge fail for WP and I'm glad it's being discussed here. I never gave it much thought because I have it loaded on my Palm T/X PDA and until the Mrs. got an Android, that's where she got her info. I'm partial to the Palm app because it's not web-based and much more complete. As enormous as the healthcare field is, maybe some emails need to start being sent to MS or the folks who created Epocrates.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Epocrates is the quintessential medical app and it's not available for WP yet. I know Android has it because it's on my wife's phone. This is a huge fail for WP and I'm glad it's being discussed here. I never gave it much thought because I have it loaded on my Palm T/X PDA and until the Mrs. got an Android, that's where she got her info. I'm partial to the Palm app because it's not web-based and much more complete. As enormous as the healthcare field is, maybe some emails need to start being sent to MS or the folks who created Epocrates.

Wait...wait so that's your wife in the photo and you are the one in the Tuxedo?

Thanks for solving that mystery, I always thought you we're the woman on the left. :p

Honest mistake, I don't mean to offend you.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Wait...wait so that's your wife in the photo and you are the one in the Tuxedo?

Thanks for solving that mystery, I always thought you we're the woman on the left. :p

Honest mistake, I don't mean to offend you.

No offense taken, it's human nature to gravitate toward good looking people. Yes, that's me in the monkey suit.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

Hmm... Well I have a grandfather who is an anaesthesiologist,a cousin who has finished mbbs, and 3 other cousins who are dentists, all of them in Tamil Nadu. Most of them use basic phones, and are doing very well in their profession without the need for a smartphone. That said, I do agree medical apps are quite useful sometimes, but I still stand by my statement that doctors use medical apps very rarely. All the doctors I've visited over the years, or have ever known have not used/relied on smartphones for any kind of help. Bear in mind that this is only for India,I don't know about other countries. Perhaps the coming generation of doctors will change the level of dependence on mobile apps? :)

There are tons of medical emergency apps on WP, including video support, and other unique features. Check out these-
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=328e2074-135a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=fc07c5dd-d764-4bf0-9e06-df7e50d8a289

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=809d29d5-74e2-49a1-937a-8aec6fd36556

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=40ab7ad9-ce17-4b18-8d16-fcf5c95118c0

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=ff9bf913-ebb7-4e14-adc4-97c6112574e6

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=4fa1b32b-889e-4b98-89b5-eab503d27a4e

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=a55aa171-c9c9-4667-882a-5d9f963fc461

There are many more apps besides these, including a medical calculator, medical dictionary, and tons of other stuff. WP also has medical apps, do some research before comparing. :)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... Well I have a grandfather who is an anaesthesiologist,a cousin who has finished mbbs, and 3 other cousins who are dentists, all of them in Tamil Nadu. Most of them use basic phones, and are doing very well in their profession without the need for a smartphone. That said, I do agree medical apps are quite useful sometimes, but I still stand by my statement that doctors use medical apps very rarely. All the doctors I've visited over the years, or have ever known have not used/relied on smartphones for any kind of help. Bear in mind that this is only for India,I don't know about other countries. Perhaps the coming generation of doctors will change the level of dependence on mobile apps? :)
There are tons of medical emergency apps on WP, including video support, and other unique features. Check out these-
http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=328e2074-135a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=fc07c5dd-d764-4bf0-9e06-df7e50d8a289

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=809d29d5-74e2-49a1-937a-8aec6fd36556

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=40ab7ad9-ce17-4b18-8d16-fcf5c95118c0

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=ff9bf913-ebb7-4e14-adc4-97c6112574e6

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=4fa1b32b-889e-4b98-89b5-eab503d27a4e

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=a55aa171-c9c9-4667-882a-5d9f963fc461

There are many more apps besides these, including a medical calculator, medical dictionary, and tons of other stuff. WP also has medical apps, do some research before comparing. :)

I'm willing to admit that indeed there will be great replacements for many of the apps that Android and iOS users depend on.

But the replacements will not appeal to those who need to get serious work done, and those who like having apps from genuine health professionals.

There's just something about apps made officially by WebMD or the Red Cross that makes them for me and for a lot other people better than any 3rd party clients.

Apart from just the medical profession, there are also are also other professions which have barely any good apps on the Windows Phone Store.

Again I appreciate the time you took to point out all those great apps, but app quality and quantity is still a problem on WP, one that we all hope is finished sometime soon.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm willing to admit that indeed there will be great replacements for many of the apps that Android and iOS users depend on.

But the replacements will not appeal to those who need to get serious work done, and those who like having apps from genuine health professionals.

There's just something about apps made officially by WebMD or the Red Cross that makes them for me and for a lot other people better than any 3rd party clients.

Apart from just the medical profession, there are also are also other professions which have barely any good apps on the Windows Phone Store.

Again I appreciate the time you took to point out all those great apps, but app quality and quantity is still a problem on WP, one that we all hope is finished sometime soon.

No AutoCAD, inexcusable. Fact is, there are no .dwg viewers at all. In all fairness, the Android and iOS versions of AutoCAD are very basic but at least you can view and so some very limited editing. What MS does have in spades are x86 tablets that are life savers for those of us in the design/build industry.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeh Vaibhav thanks for pointing some great apps.but they would not have same quality as that of android or iPhone.
From Windows phone

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Again, they are clients not the official apps.

I'll have access to a Windows Phone again in a week's time I'm willing to compare the Medscape clients on WP versus the official apps.

But my initial impressions is that the mEdscape is better on Android/Ios.

its not that great on android either my cousin says
the ios version is the best so far

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
its not that great on android either my cousin says
the ios version is the best so far

Honestly speaking would you prefer

Best > Good > Lackluster?

And I don't see how the iOS app is any better than the Android one, care to enlighten me?

But nevermind we are going a bit OT here.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Again, they are clients not the official apps.

I'll have access to a Windows Phone again in a week's time I'm willing to compare the Medscape clients on WP versus the official apps.

But my initial impressions is that the mEdscape is better on Android/Ios.
"But they are not official"
Oh please, you don't have an official file manager for gods sake, and you have no problem using third party ones. But when it comes to WP, Sir wants everything to be official. I get the idea.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeh Vaibhav thanks for pointing some great apps.but they would not have same quality as that of android or iPhone.
From Windows phone
Please don't comment like this before actually testing the apps yourself. The apps are fine and function well for the purpose they were meant for, and in some cases better than or at par with the other OS's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro