iOS8 vs WP8.1 vs Android 4.4 vs BB10

Status
Not open for further replies.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Where do you live?

I'm in the US where Bing is strongest, and it has been my default search engine since the Live Search (pre-Bing) days.

I get better, more tailored results from Bing than I do on the rare occasions I may try out Google. This is on PC or WP.

what? bing is better because it gives more results?

bing really is not better than google. its considerably worse. since ive been using the wp it is the single biggest reason ive had to put it down and pick up an android one. so far this thread and its weird "oooh bing is great" feels more like some wp ****** ism of the sort usually attributed to the other two. wp has many admirable qualities but using bing is its biggest detractor.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
unfortunately though, the app issue is real. I haven't used an iphone as my main for for years, but have had experience of the last occasionally using it on the 4s, 5, and 5s.

The app issue is lack of apps although there are some apps lacking, but i think the major issue with app is the quality. The quality IMO is far better than the Wp versions with FB, instagram, skype to name a few. The quick switch works well on IOS, i wish WP had that ability to quick switch without constantly reloading/resuming. I know it saves battery, but let me make that decision. The ability to just go app to app and have it working on the spot is very convenient as on windows phone it can vary.

One thing is to have app parity, but when you do, the quality needs to be there and right now, it is clearly the wp version of many of the mainstream apps are not as high in quality as other platforms.

For me the lack of apps updated to windows phone 8.1 is what is killing windows phone for me. I am very frustrated with IE 11 how it is always constantly reloading tabs that have finished downloading earlier. The OS does support the fast resume, but apps need to update to WP 8.1 so that we the users don't need to wait for that anymore. Like in the notification center, when we clear the notification, than the live tile also need to clear. MS needs to allow ALL apps to have 1 minute live tiles updates too. It is frustrating, and I will give WP a break for a year or longer so that it can solve all of it's app problems.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Where do you live?

I'm in the US where Bing is strongest, and it has been my default search engine since the Live Search (pre-Bing) days.

I get better, more tailored results from Bing than I do on the rare occasions I may try out Google. This is on PC or WP.

I have switched over to bing, but it is more for the convenience of being on all platforms. I like bing in that it gives you the rewards points, but in some occasions I find Google to work better, but it also works vice-versa.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm giving up on 8.1 for a while....Picked up a LG G2 for almost nothing with a broken screen(wireless charging, no need to change my charge setup), waiting for parts to come in to fix it....(about an hour job, a little complex but, after watching the video on youtube, just take your time, it's not that hard).

I've never really used a modern Android device for more than a quick call or a text check but, till Verizon releases Cyan or Denim on the ICON, I will use an Android device for a while...

I guess for a while, it will be nice to get all the apps I am missing....it's where WP lacks...STILL...

I read the review on iOS 8, same old OS just with a few features added....Always hated the look of iOS....so, it's a no go for me.. If I was given a iPhone 6+ ? Yep, ebay it would go....

I am about the do the same thing. I am going to give my lumia 1520 a break, and try out android on a note 4 till about the summer of next year as I have an upgrade in November. If there is some stellar hardware it will probably be cheaper than the note 4, and can always sell it and go back to windows phone.

mark2410

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Where do you live?

UK. though i fail to see how the difference it would make, im rarely searching for location specific entities, would be of consequence.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
what? bing is better because it gives more results?

bing really is not better than google. its considerably worse. since ive been using the wp it is the single biggest reason ive had to put it down and pick up an android one. so far this thread and its weird "oooh bing is great" feels more like some wp ****** ism of the sort usually attributed to the other two. wp has many admirable qualities but using bing is its biggest detractor.

Hey, different strokes. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
My company does mobile app development, so I get to test everything. Having said that, I love the look, feel, and functionality of Windows 8.1. I own a Lumia 1020 and a 925, and I've owned an Icon and a 928 (when I was with Verizon). I have been the biggest evangelist for WP. However, I've finally thrown in the towel (for now at least). The reasons are not apps or speed or features per se...it has everything to do with basic integration into my life.

Use case 1: commuting from NJ to NYC. I typically take NJTransit from the Secaucus Junction station into NY Penn. I like to stop at the Dunkin Donuts in the station and grab coffee as I go.
- Android: Using MyTix app, purchase train tickets as I am walking from the parking lot to the station. before I go through the turnstiles, get coffee, pay with the app. turn around, change apps, go through the turnstile using the barcode in the app.
- WP 8.1: At the station, wait on line for a ticket machine, buy tickets. put them in my wallet or pocket. Go to Dunkin Donuts, buy coffee, pay with credit card or cash - fumbling with wallet. Put wallet away and find ticket so I can go through turnstile.
Is the WP solution hard? Nope, pretty easy. But Android is easier.

Use case 2: finding a workspace in the city. My company uses Regus, a company that offers subscribers rentable office space in building around the world. In NYC, there are 50+ locations. Depending on where I am, when I have a few hours between meetings, I want to find the closest one.
- Android: open Regus app, hit "locate" button, tap closest location to show address and directions.
- WP8.1: search for "Regus" in IE. Get a list of locations by relevance. Change to distance. Review and try to visualize locations.
Again, is WP8.2 solution bad? No. Is Android better? yep.

I have others...Using google hangouts with my wife while shopping - she's not always signed into skype. The android UPS app finds ALL inbound packages for anyone in my family, and allows me to change delivery options from the app...doesn't kick me out to the web. Using Hailo to get a cab when I don't want to use Uber because of rush hour pricing.

None of these things, by themselves, are a big deal. Taken together, My Xperia Z2 has slowly supplanted my 925 as my daily driver. Hardware wise, the Z2 is overkill in many ways...it's very big, the 1080p screen is unnecessary, and the 925 camera is better than the Z2's. But the little conveniences add up.

I hope the situation changes. I would love to see the US app gap close. But my own company has deferred development on WP because there isn't enough demand...and until that changes, I don't think the app gap will.

anon(9111683)

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
The question of apps is an interesting one. I'm am currently an Android user but will be making the move to WP in the next few days. Having browsed through a few of the threads here at WP Central I am surprised to see how much the lack of apps seems to be such a sticking point for many users of the platform. Why would a fandroid such as myself want to move to WP? Especially considering that WP8.1 is now only considered to be on par with the competition, when it really needs to be better than, if it wants to lure users from the more popular platforms.

The honest answer is curiosity. I've done iOS - my first introduction to the smart phone world. I hated it. Locked down and slowed down with every "update"; my beautiful 3GS was reduced to little more than a paperweight. Never again, Apple. Never again. I moved to Android and picked up the HTC One X. Loved it. Loved the ability to customize and personalize every aspect of my gadget. Loved that updates added more features and actually improved my phone - what a revelation! Didn't love the fact that I never got to see more than 2 major versions of Android. When KitKat was rolled out, my One X and I were forgotten about. The ugly side of Android.

But the Apps! Oh those apps! So glorious, plentiful, available!

I knew this was going to be a proble- wait what? What apps do I actually use? What apps do I actually need? What apps did I actually have tying myself into the other platforms? Next to NONE. I use 4-5 different apps on a daily basis at BEST. What do I really use my smart phone for? Texts, calls & emails. Sometimes I browse the web. Sometimes I listen to music. All of the apps that I actually use on a regular basis are available on WP.

So i'm looking forward to picking up my new 930. I like the idea of live tiles. I'm looking forward to how nicely optimized WP8.1 is. I'm looking forward to that Nokia build quality & high quality camera.

I'd never have even considered WP a year or so ago, but from my present perspective it is starting to look very attractive.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The question of apps is an interesting one. I'm am currently an Android user but will be making the move to WP in the next few days. Having browsed through a few of the threads here at WP Central I am surprised to see how much the lack of apps seems to be such a sticking point for many users of the platform. Why would a fandroid such as myself want to move to WP? Especially considering that WP8.1 is now only considered to be on par with the competition, when it really needs to be better than, if it wants to lure users from the more popular platforms.

The honest answer is curiosity. I've done iOS - my first introduction to the smart phone world. I hated it. Locked down and slowed down with every "update"; my beautiful 3GS was reduced to little more than a paperweight. Never again, Apple. Never again. I moved to Android and picked up the HTC One X. Loved it. Loved the ability to customize and personalize every aspect of my gadget. Loved that updates added more features and actually improved my phone - what a revelation! Didn't love the fact that I never got to see more than 2 major versions of Android. When KitKat was rolled out, my One X and I were forgotten about. The ugly side of Android.

I knew this was going to be a proble- wait what? What apps do I actually use? What apps do I actually need? What apps did I actually have tying myself into the other platforms? Next to NONE. I use 4-5 different apps on a daily basis at BEST. What do I really use my smart phone for? Texts, calls & emails. Sometimes I browse the web. Sometimes I listen to music. All of the apps that I actually use on a regular basis are available on WP.

So i'm looking forward to picking up my new 930. I like the idea of live tiles. I'm looking forward to how nicely optimized WP8.1 is. I'm looking forward to that Nokia build quality & high quality camera.

I'd never have even considered WP a year or so ago, but from my present perspective it is starting to look very attractive.

First post and you hit it out of the ballpark. Welcome aboard, looking forward to more of your insight. Let us know how it goes with your 930.

anon(5316299)

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
I knew this was going to be a proble- wait what? What apps do I actually use? What apps do I actually need? What apps did I actually have tying myself into the other platforms? Next to NONE. I use 4-5 different apps on a daily basis at BEST. What do I really use my smart phone for? Texts, calls & emails. Sometimes I browse the web. Sometimes I listen to music. All of the apps that I actually use on a regular basis are available on WP. .

Best of luck with the 930. Great device, wish it actually got LTE in the US. Keep track of how you actually do things with the 930...and whether you might have had other options on a One X, or on an iPhone for that matter.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
WP is far more advanced than the others.
It takes time to be recognized....well maybe some publicity too :)

The original point of the thread was to definitely talk about how far Windows Phone has come.

And I'll admit that Windows Phone has come a pretty long way since it's inception but as far as being more advanced than the others, Loool no.

Design is subjective though, and it is something that Windows Phone has going for itself. If you say Windows Phone is the most beautiful OS in your opinion, I'd agree to that because it's your opinion.

If you talk about how advanced an OS, you'll face too much criticism and for real - WP is not the most advanced OS out there.

Most beautiful OS out there? Depends on who you ask but Windows Phone would be a good choice.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The original point of the thread was to definitely talk about how far Windows Phone has come.

And I'll admit that Windows Phone has come a pretty long way since it's inception but as far as being more advanced than the others, Loool no.

Design is subjective though, and it is something that Windows Phone has going for itself. If you say Windows Phone is the most beautiful OS in your opinion, I'd agree to that because it's your opinion.

If you talk about how advanced an OS, you'll face too much criticism and for real - WP is not the most advanced OS out there.

Most beautiful OS out there? Depends on who you ask but Windows Phone would be a good choice.

i dunno man something tells me the "higly advanced" android struggles with malware(even in play store) , hacking , lag and even updates and even battery life

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

Great post. Your thoughts mirror my experience. I can honestly say there are only a couple of apps I'm missing and I can definitely live without them. As much as I enjoy my phone I just don't want my nose stuck in it 24/7. I use it for the same type of tasks, email, texting, light. web browsing, etc. I also had been burned by Verizon on Android updates. My last Android phone got exactly one update in two years. Completely abandoned. Good luck with your WP.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

See, we all know windows phone hasn't come too far, but its still doing a pretty good job. No OS is advanced & none can be termed as perfect. The poster just meant that WP would be soon on #2. It'll take 2-3 years but it'll definitely grow.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
i dunno man something tells me the "higly advanced" android struggles with malware(even in play store) , hacking , lag and even updates and even battery life

You exaggerate facts simply to bring Windows Phone above Android. Malware isn't as big of an issue are you constantly keep brining up, if it issues that you people constantly bring up we're true for everyone then Android wouldn't dominate the market today.Battery life, updates and lag are issues that vary from one device to another. Not all Windows Phones have great battery lives, not all Windows Phone run Windows Phone without a hitch and as far as updates go what happened with Windows Phone 7 devices? And what happened with Lumia 810? And what about all the devices that get delayed updates to Cyan and wait for months.Here's a comparison that may serve useful to you: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-L-vs-Windows-Phone-8.1-Guess-whos-catching-up_id58004But the sentence which is the highlight from the article was this: "Yet while Windows Phone 8.1 brings the feature gap between itself and its nemeses to a minimum, it can't be considered superior to Android L."Has Windows Phone grown a lot in the past few years? Definitely.
Is it better than Android and iOS? Maybe in a few things here and there but as a whole no it's not.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You exaggerate facts simply to bring Windows Phone above Android. Malware isn't as big of an issue are you constantly keep brining up, if it issues that you people constantly bring up we're true for everyone then Android wouldn't dominate the market today.Battery life, updates and lag are issues that vary from one device to another. Not all Windows Phones have great battery lives, not all Windows Phone run Windows Phone without a hitch and as far as updates go what happened with Windows Phone 7 devices? And what happened with Lumia 810? And what about all the devices that get delayed updates to Cyan and wait for months.Here's a comparison that may serve useful to you: Cell Phone News - Phone Arena the sentence which is the highlight from the article was this: "Yet while Windows Phone 8.1 brings the feature gap between itself and its nemeses to a minimum, it can't be considered superior to Android L."Has Windows Phone grown a lot in the past few years? Definitely.
Is it better than Android and iOS? Maybe in a few things here and there but as a whole no it's not.

I dunno man I just used your beloved google search and just typed phone malware,no sign of ios,WP or bb10

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=phone+malware&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Seems proof enough to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos