iOS8 vs WP8.1 vs Android 4.4 vs BB10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You mean they're done with all-touchscreen devices. I don't blame BB for re-introducing physical keyboards since they may as well try to get some of their faithful back. The BB Classic due later this year is even bringing back the send/end buttons AND the trackpad. I don't know why since OS10 is a gesture driven UI.

It's funny you mention never having used a webOS device but you're using its spirit everyday. Swipe-to-delete emails, swipe away notifications, swipe gestures to close apps were all hallmarks of webOS and remember it was launched in the summer of '09. Contact integration with social media was practically invented with Synergy and I've yet to see it being done better than Palm's version. Here we are 5 years later and these features are becoming ubiquitous on all platforms. Glance? We called a more feature-rich version of that "Exhibition" which came with webOS 2.0 right when HP purchased Palm. Downright shame the hardware was such utter garbage.

I found out what you're saying is true after reading some of the old webOSNation blogs about the gestures, and I agree that that swiping away notifications in WP8.1 is very similar.

I don't think it helped that webOS was for Sprint either. I had AT&T and would've never considered Sprint, due to many family/friends here leaving Sprint due to problems (dropped calls, slow data, bad customer service).

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I, like you, no longer use WP. I still have my trusty Lumia 820 and keep updated because I like WP, but it is not my daily driver for reasons that are my own. That said...

Where are you finding either of those? From my chair, all that I see towards anyone that doesn't unequivocally put WP up as the most innovative, most reliable, and best mobile OS despite obvious shortcomings is usually labelled an "iSheep" or a "fandroid".

Sadly, I am leaning in your opinion here. Generally there are a number of open-minded users but more so lately it's become quick to respond narrow defenses that really don't equate to anything more than banter without substance, or just a non-fanboyish opinion. I know there are the group of loyal WP users willing to admit the OS MAY BE LACKING in some areas, and the same can be said about Android or iOS to an extent in my books. I guess It comes with brand loyalty, which I can never comprehend. I just go with what works for me, not what's told of me to prefer or what the media wants me to prefer (I.e. PS4, while its the definitive current console I still got an Xbox One because I prefer the controller, plain and simple... while the media and general public would say the decision was the 'wrong one').

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hahaha....
Do I need to post your comments on Android here?

I don't know users who calls Android is superior but I know users who called WP superior and name Android OS as lagdroid, malware etc

You also hate Android, Google and every Google services which you mentioned in various thread.

Well truth is always bitter. Android lags & gets a virus, wp doesn't. If you think that makes me or any other person a fan boy, it doesn't matter to me

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well truth is always bitter. Android lags & gets a virus, wp doesn't. If you think that makes me or any other person a fan boy, it doesn't matter to me

Much of that depends upon the user. Nobody I know had lag or virus on their Androids. I think the lag was more of a problem of earlier devices. Virus is mainly a problem of users installing from sites other than official store. It's the same pretty much with Windows PCs and viruses. I don't know anyone who got virus on their PC in the past 10 years, but the people I know don't visit dodgy sites like pr0n sites.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nobody I know had lag or virus on their Androids.

I used a Samsung Captivate (AT&T's GALAXY S) and a Nexus 7 tablet for about a year each. While I ultimately decided that I really dislike Android, that was due to UI issues; both devices performed excellently and neither had virus issues.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Much of that depends upon the user. Nobody I know had lag or virus on their Androids. I think the lag was more of a problem of earlier devices. Virus is mainly a problem of users installing from sites other than official store. It's the same pretty much with Windows PCs and viruses. I don't know anyone who got virus on their PC in the past 10 years, but the people I know don't visit dodgy sites like pr0n sites.

My friend has note 3, kikat, his phone lags. Isnt that too much for a phone having such monstrous specs?
Well my friend bought nexus 5, his phone got a virus in less than a week, isn't that too much? Sometimes I really feel sorry for them

Last edited:

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
What is the percentage of Android users? How many of them complain about viruses?

Has this ever occurred to you maybe?

If Android was as malware ridden, laggy why did people not stop purchasing Android devices and simply move to the perfect Windows Phones?

Most of them buy android because their friends/colleagues have it. If I recommend android to my family members or my parents saying that, "hey mom, dad buy an android phone because its got more games", well they'll surely be annoyed & I'll hear a long lecture from them. I can recommend WP to them because they need very basic apps, not extraordinary special apps which are not available in WP. They just need a smooth phone, with some basic apps that's it. If tomorrow I recommend them an android & say they do something in their phone & by mistake if it catches a virus, I might even be grounded.

Popularity has nothing to do with whether an OS is good or not. Just because only a few can buy a Rolls Royce doesn't make it the worst car, or Samsung doesn't become the best company as it sells more phones. It's just a personal choice which OS you prefer.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Everyone has their favorite OS with their favorite niches. For me iOS and any variant of Android is just boring compared to WP. I can see who's posting on their FB or twitter page, I can see what the forecast is for the week, latest news, story of the day on Wikipedia, and a gambit of other info without doing anything if its on my start screen. No motionless icons waiting for you to do something. Live tiles feed you information. I just feel that WP interacts with you on a more personal level. Sure you have widgets and the notification centers which are more robust than the action center, but there's nothing like the live tiles, and you now combine that with Cortana which in my opinion supersedes Google now and Siri, WP is just picking up steam where iOS and Android have reached their Zenith. Guess only time will tell, but I bet those guys are as interested with what Threshold is about, because that could be a game changer.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Everyone has their favorite OS with their favorite niches. For me iOS and any variant of Android is just boring compared to WP. I can see who's posting on their FB or twitter page, I can see what the forecast is for the week, latest news, story of the day on Wikipedia, and a gambit of other info without doing anything if its on my start screen. No motionless icons waiting for you to do something. Live tiles feed you information. I just feel that WP interacts with you on a more personal level. Sure you have widgets and the notification centers which are more robust than the action center, but there's nothing like the live tiles, and you now combine that with Cortana which in my opinion supersedes Google now and Siri, WP is just picking up steam where iOS and Android have reached their Zenith. Guess only time will tell, but I bet those guys are as interested with what Threshold is about, because that could be a game changer.

I agree with your every point.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Whats actually humorous is the discussion (title of thread) lead to the understanding that the overall conversation is to talk about ALL OS's available, their differences and obviously rejoice WP in what has been accomplished. time WP7/8/8.1 user...I had my reasons to leave, but thoroughly enjoy (a lot, maybe not ALL) conversations and this community. Does this mean I shouldnt post on this forum anymore? "But why are you still on WP forums if you own an Android?" have the specific Android guy creeping up here and bashing WP frequently but please do not believe that is ALL Android users visiting this site.

Bud, I wasn't even referring to you. I'd read your comments and was taking them on board. The fact that you responded this way obviously shows that you thought they could be directed at you.

If you want to discuss Androids merits over WP feel free to inbox me, I'm stuck on deciding what to buy next.

Unlike as it seems with a lot of mobile users I have NO loyalty towards a particular brand or os. I buy what I believe is best for me at the time. These companies are out to make money pure and simple and couldn't care less if you/we left their platform as long as they continued to make profit.

My only real problem on here is people don't seem to understand 'PERSONAL OPINION' And what is better for one doesn't necessarily make it better for another.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So, WP8.1 has come so far...

Does anyone remember the days when we had no copy+paste and WP was a "doomed" OS?
Does anyone remember the 1% - "I'm in the 1%" was a thing.

Looking back from there to today - from when sites like Verge didn't even acknowledge the existence of WP and now, score WP as good as iOS and Android. Just for a second, let us put away the marketshare and mindshare. Let us put away the fact that for every 1 WP sold, there are 10 iPhones and 50 Androids that sell. Numbers and maths is clearly not WP's thing. Design and Functionality is. The new found strategy of only targeting the lower end of market for 11 months and then 1 month of high-end marketing combined with the fact that WP is on par for design, functions and features with big dogs, surely gives WP a healthy chance of grabbing the next billion feature phone users, right?

Yes, now that we are all on this site, we are clearly not going to buy our "first smartphone" so many of you may stick here like me, some may go and get something different etc. - but let the below facts sink in...

Windows Phone 7 - Lumia 900 - remember this megastar? - The Verge score 7.0, yeah lower than even BB10. This was 2 years ago.

Then..
Windows Phone 8 - The Verge score 7.9

WP8.1 even though such a massive achievement features-parity wise, is only a 0.1 increment on Verge score though.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
So, WP8.1 has come so far...

Does anyone remember the days when we had no copy+paste and WP was a "doomed" OS?
Does anyone remember the 1% - "I'm in the 1%" was a thing.

Looking back from there to today - from when sites like Verge didn't even acknowledge the existence of WP and now, score WP as good as iOS and Android. Just for a second, let us put away the marketshare and mindshare. Let us put away the fact that for every 1 WP sold, there are 10 iPhones and 50 Androids that sell. Numbers and maths is clearly not WP's thing. Design and Functionality is. The new found strategy of only targeting the lower end of market for 11 months and then 1 month of high-end marketing combined with the fact that WP is on par for design, functions and features with big dogs, surely gives WP a healthy chance of grabbing the next billion feature phone users, right?

Yes, now that we are all on this site, we are clearly not going to buy our "first smartphone" so many of you may stick here like me, some may go and get something different etc. - but let the below facts sink in...

Windows Phone 7 - Lumia 900 - remember this megastar? - The Verge score 7.0, yeah lower than even BB10. This was 2 years ago.

Then..
Windows Phone 8 - The Verge score 7.9

WP8.1 even though such a massive achievement features-parity wise, is only a 0.1 increment on Verge score though.

Correction

WP 7.8 did able to copy and paste text

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
So, if the OS don't suit, then bad mouthing on that OS is good or not?

Same applied to companies
If you don't like company policies then is it smart to insult that company?

says the guy who insults microsoft for no reason
oh and i know some of my friends who are extreme pro-android but are still willing to accept that googles policies etc are pathetic

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Windows also hang and get virus.
Linux is lot better in this and it doesn't cost you a penny.
Mac & Windows both can be easily hacked by hacker but no hacker I able to hack Linux till.

Who is better OS now?
Mac , Windows or Linux.

Whatever your answer is also applied with
iOS, Android and WP.

stop using such false logic with false facts
windows doesnt hang anymore,windows 8.1 runs buttery smooth even on my old core 2 duo laptop and my pentium 4 pc with 2gb and 1gb ram respectively
Linux fails because its tougher to setup and install software(use apt commands in terminal when its one click on windows) etc than windows ,an exception is elementary os which has streamlined linux a bit
linux is easier to hack thanks to superuser breaches etc
linux may be free etc but sometimes feels very fragmented-debian,fedora etc,and different formats for each(targ.gz etc)

mac is a different story,people like to try and be cool using a mac without knowing anything about it
but the real application of a mac is for professionals like editing sound,movies etc
or even business people and enthusiasts who really like apple for what it is,not using it to showoff etc and arguably macbook air 11" is a great buy with oodles of battery life in it,though in recent times,there are windows alternatives which do just as well

ohh and one more point,most of the population cannot afford a mac and OSX cannot be installed on other computers(atleast legally or bugfree etc) so this logic is invalid

you cannot compare pcs and phones this way with false facts

anyways this is going wayy OT,so stop

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
says the guy who insults microsoft for no reason
oh and i know some of my friends who are extreme pro-android but are still willing to accept that googles policies etc are pathetic

Actually you are the one who keep bringing Google everywhere.

Insulting for the reason that you don't like it.
All I said about MS is it services are not as
good as compared to Google.
And market share shows that.

Last edited:

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
stop using such false logic with false facts
windows doesnt hang anymore,windows 8.1 runs buttery smooth even on my old core 2 duo laptop and my pentium 4 pc with 2gb and 1gb ram respectively
Linux fails because its tougher to setup and install software(use apt commands in terminal when its one click on windows) etc than windows ,an exception is elementary os which has streamlined linux a bit
linux is easier to hack thanks to superuser breaches etc
linux may be free etc but sometimes feels very fragmented-debian,fedora etc,and different formats for each(targ.gz etc)

mac is a different story,people like to try and be cool using a mac without knowing anything about it
but the real application of a mac is for professionals like editing sound,movies etc
or even business people and enthusiasts who really like apple for what it is,not using it to showoff etc and arguably macbook air 11" is a great buy with oodles of battery life in it,though in recent times,there are windows alternatives which do just as well

ohh and one more point,most of the population cannot afford a mac and OSX cannot be installed on other computers(atleast legally or bugfree etc) so this logic is invalid

you cannot compare pcs and phones this way with false facts

anyways this is going wayy OT,so stop

No point arguing, you might end up bursting your nerves...:p

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please define lag? Is this a catch phrase that people just like to throw around? I use an iPhone 5 for work and I hate using the internet on it because it takes forever to load pages. Is it iOS 8 or maybe AT&T's LTE isn't that great? I remember using, and loving, Windows Mobile. People used to bash it for freezing, resetting itself, etc. but I never had any issues with it. I had just about every WM device and they all worked flawlessly, but I knew enough to keep an eye on open apps. To this day, I close apps immediately after finishing with them. I guess old habits do die hard. I'll agree that Gingerbread and below had constant force closes, but that's not lag. I've read benchmarks from too many devices to count and they put up all these numbers on a graph. What exactly do they mean in the real world? Does a 30,000 score mean an app will open in .00004 seconds faster than a device scoring "only" 12,000? Anytime I see an argument between posters there will always be the inevitable "show me a link" from someone too lazy to do his own research. I've looked high and low and I can't find any article that addresses lag in the form of timed differences between devices running single core CPUs vs. quad core or octa core or whatever. Someone please post an article or video with stopwatch results on various devices and if none can be found, no more lag references. Please.

jonnaver

Banned
Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
It would be interesting to show people the difference on their devices if WP or iOS allowed you to completely turn off the system animations their load times are hidden by.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well my friend bought nexus 5, his phone got a virus in less than a week, isn't that too much? Sometimes I really feel sorry for them

And there's no chance the virus he got could have been caused by his own actions? Or is your premise that once you get an Android phone, you just automatically and immediately start picking up random viruses with no action on your part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99