Verizon has no intention of releasing WP 8.1

Maldias

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Support. The 'Tech' told me that Verizon would not be updating phones to 8.1 and that it did exist for phones. Though Verizon has had the software in 'Testing' since mid July. They were oblivious to features like Cortana and that their stores even had 8.1 phones for sale. Verizon has made it obvious they are trying to rally against Microsoft products. The store I purchased my WP (Nokia Icon) from did not even have it on display, nor did 99% of the employees know of its existence.
During my wait on hold between all 6 'Techs', I heard commercials for the new iPhone 6 over 8 dozen times. The iPhone 6 did not have one spec finalized until its announced release, yet Verizon had zero days of testing put into the NEW iOS or the phone itself. The Nokia Icon was held up in release for well over 8 months by Verizon 'Testing'. Verizon's favoritism is definitely paid for by Apple and Google, but there is no reason they should shun those of us whom choose other operating systems like WP and deny us upgrades. Class Action Lawsuit anyone?

Maldias

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
That's the point. It's available for purchase on new devices, but Verizon is not updating the devices it sold claiming they would the update. Thanks for the reply!

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
That's the point. It's available for purchase on new devices, but Verizon is not updating the devices it sold claiming they would the update. Thanks for the reply!

No it isn't. You cannot get a Verizon Icon with 8.1. I think that the rumor that HTC forced Verizon to delay the update may be true in my opinion. It stinks and I am also a bit peeved at Verizon too but I really do think it will be out soon.

Maldias

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
They won't release it until Windows 9 is out, at which point 8.1 will be obsolete.

... and we won't be getting that update for Windows 9 free.

Last edited by a moderator:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's my understanding that Verizon is the most controlling carrier in America (perhaps the world?) when it comes to device selection to run on their network. I've never used Vzw... Their coverage and data speed may (?) be superior in all ways... I just have heard such horror stories about how controlling they are to OEMs and OS providers, how they have to be in the driver's seat at all stages, the limiting of options once you are on board as a subscriber... I've never considered them to be a viable option really.

The surest and quickest way to impact them is simply move off their service. Encourage others at all times to do so as well. A class action suit sounds well and good, but I'm sure they have some iron-clad defense built into their TOS.

Good luck.

BTW: I love the freedom of GSM and Factory Unlocked options. There are plenty of them out there and CDMA is an American deal that most of the rest of the world will not put up with - and for good reason.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
At this point the only reason I'm hesitant to switch to AT&T is that I'm concerned about the age of the 1520. I know the second I buy one they will anounce either the 1525 or the 1530 with the snap 801 and a qHD display. I don't care about qHD, but the snap 801 might be nice. They have until Oct 1, then I'm buying a 1520 and jumping ship. Screw verizon.

And yes I know to buy the unlocked version with QI and 32GB because the AT&T version is 16GB and external PMA.

j-bone6_7

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Support. The 'Tech' told me that Verizon would not be updating phones to 8.1 and that it did exist for phones. Though Verizon has had the software in 'Testing' since mid July. They were oblivious to features like Cortana and that their stores even had 8.1 phones for sale. Verizon has made it obvious they are trying to rally against Microsoft products. The store I purchased my WP (Nokia Icon) from did not even have it on display, nor did 99% of the employees know of its existence.
During my wait on hold between all 6 'Techs', I heard commercials for the new iPhone 6 over 8 dozen times. The iPhone 6 did not have one spec finalized until its announced release, yet Verizon had zero days of testing put into the NEW iOS or the phone itself. The Nokia Icon was held up in release for well over 8 months by Verizon 'Testing'. Verizon's favoritism is definitely paid for by Apple and Google, but there is no reason they should shun those of us whom choose other operating systems like WP and deny us upgrades. Class Action Lawsuit anyone?

I'm sorry, but none of this makes sense. You say you heard the iPhone 6 commercial over 8 dozen times. I was on hold today with verizon and happened to hear that commercial. Its around 15-20 seconds. Split by over 60-90 seconds of other commercials. This means you were on hold for over 2 hours. Hmm... that seems a little iffy to me.

Also... on the testing of the iPhone. We all know that Apple tests with carriers prior to any launch of product so that they can launch on all carriers at the same time. Its been documented that the hold on the Icon was due (in part) to Verizon, but also to Microsoft because of the buyout deal. (Lumia 929 for Verizon to be called ‘Icon’ and delayed to Q1 2014). Not Verizon's problem.

Now mind you, I'm not defending Verizon, but I'm just saying that your arguement and statements seem a little bogus. Yes, we'd all like WP to get a bit more coverage, and we'd all like updates instantaneously (Thats why most of us are enrolled in DP program) But, Cyan was only released to carriers on the 15th of July. Thats only 2 months. Apple announced iOS 8 on June 2nd, and rolled it out September 17th. That's 3.5 months, just about. Hmm... I'd bet most of that was carrier testing. Just saying.... Wait till late October... then lets see what is happening.

So... I'm calling bogus on this "report".

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I can tell you from past experience when I had verizon prepaid as my only ISP, I heard get the amazing iPad with the new retina display MANY times. It was the first commercial I heard and it alternated with exactly 1 other commercial. I had to call them almost every month because their pay online system was constantly failing. I asked them once why I had to wait till I ran out of data to pay for more. They said they were aware of it, but didn't know why they didn't permit it. Also I was on the phone with them for a minimum of 30 minutes sometimes going to an hour each and every single time.

So yeah I can believe the iphone 6 commercial claims.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Lol this is what I don't get and maybe someone can enlighten/correct me with these practices. Microsoft seems to be kissing Verizon's *** by showering them with all the greatest phones: Icon/930, ATIV SE, HTC One W8, and what not, and they don't even support them. Carrier exclusivity is an obsolete practice and only hurts market share. Goddamn what I wouldn't give for the Icon on ATT, but no, I have to buy a 930 international for 500 bucks and live without LTE? I love windows phone but carrier exclusivity/non-support is gonna drive me away if this keeps up.

tajones65

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I will be switching back to AT&T. I have a Lumia 1020 that I can get re-activated. Seems like they support Windows Phone Platform superior to Verizon. Look forward to Cyan & Win Phone 8.1 Update on the 1020.:smile:

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll take this with a grain of salt, because I bet if you call and talk to another tech he'll tell you a different story.

There was a post on VZW own community that the person talked to a tech and he said that in testing they ran into some problems and had to wait for a fix from MS/Nokia/Qualcomm.

So it boils down no one at first/second level support knows anything about when/if older devices will get Windows Phone 8.1 +Cyan.

Now this doesn't explain why HTC said in a tweet that the 8X update was coming in October if the tech said no phones were getting the update.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
"Techs" know nothing. You might as well have asked your mailman.

Cyan was only released to carriers on the 15th of July. Thats only 2 months. Apple announced iOS 8 on June 2nd, and rolled it out September 17th. That's 3.5 months, just about. Hmm... I'd bet most of that was carrier testing. Just saying.... Wait till late October... then lets see what is happening.
Windows Phone 8.1 was announced in mid April, started rolling out late June. That's a little over 5 months since it was announced now and 3 months since other carriers started rolling it out.

Apple had 3.5 months ( if yyou're correct about that) between announcement and rollout, which is faster than 5 months. But more importantly it is a unified rollout on all carriers and to all phones, on the same day, and the carriers ANNOUNCE that date. That makes a big difference. If Verizon would just say SOMETHING about when or even IF they'll release 8.1 that would go a long way towards easing people's minds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
"Techs" know nothing. You might as well have asked your mailman.
[snark]
So when my mailman swung by....I asked him(her), "when would the Verizon wp 8.1 update for the HTC8x be released?"
And they would neither confirm nor deny it's existence or potential timeframe. So there you have it, from Verizon's mouth to your mailman's ears. <rimshot> It would seem that 'More Of Everything' is really just more of nothing.
[/snark]

Maldias

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Apple released 8.0.1 without any hold up from Verizon... yes, it was plagued with little problems like complete loss of cell service and bricking most of the devices it was installed on, but why can I not get this same 'chance' for installing Cyan/WP 8.1 on my device Apple users get?

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Apple released 8.0.1 without any hold up from Verizon... yes, it was plagued with little problems like complete loss of cell service and bricking most of the devices it was installed on, but why can I not get this same 'chance' for installing Cyan/WP 8.1 on my device Apple users get?
Sadly because at the moment the iPhone brings in more revenue then any Windows Phone device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte