Verizon has no intention of releasing WP 8.1

bmlcpa

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I think 8.1 will be released by the end of October...just a hunch. This is not a big deal for me, as I want to see what "Windows 9" does for my phone. It has to be 1)Free upgrade, and 2)really fit the "one operating system" mantra as much as possible. I want my apps/games/everything to work together on my phone and my pc. If not, goodbye WP, hello iPhone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think 8.1 will be released by the end of October...just a hunch. This is not a big deal for me, as I want to see what "Windows 9" does for my phone. It has to be 1)Free upgrade, and 2)really fit the "one operating system" mantra as much as possible. I want my apps/games/everything to work together on my phone and my pc. If not, goodbye WP, hello iPhone.

Investing in an all Apple device portfolio just seems way overpriced to me. I've never looked at Apple products and thought, "Wow... I can justify that price tag."

I understand a lot of other people do though...

bmlcpa

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering what you will say if we have to pay for an upgrade to the next WP OS, or if even worse, WP users are told (AGAIN) their current phone cannot support the next OS. Talk about expensive! My wife's iPhone 4s (which she got for $99 a couple of years ago) still works....with every OS upgrade that has come along. And I'm not even going to touch all the apps that I would have to pay for on my WP that she gets for free...is my WP really less expensive?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Daniel, what are your thoughts on the "keeping WP8.1 exclusive to HTC for just a little while longer" line being touted in this thread?

I hear this every time a new OS update is on the horizon. Remember everyone complaining about AT&T being slow? Would wait for new phones, etc? I kept saying since Update 3, they have been actually very fast.

Considering Verizon is barely pushing the One for Windows, let alone 8.1.1, I don't find much merit in this line of thinking. I was at HTC's US HQ a few months back, spoke with them, etc. They're a surprisingly small company with fewer resources than you think. Even budgets for marketing, which they get beat on by Samsung, is a very tough thing for them, as they have to spend wisely.

I just think they have a small team working on WP and updates, and it is not a priority for them. Remember, they sold those devices (8x, 8s) nearly two years ago. Many people are up for new contracts, so yeah, perhaps they want them to look at the One instead. Verizon does not market the One any more (or less) than the Icon, and much more than the ATIV SE.

In the end, it's just money, market share and doing business. Same with Samsung, who tell me that they are just keeping their foot in the door with Windows Phone.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I hear this every time a new OS update is on the horizon. Remember everyone complaining about AT&T being slow? Would wait for new phones, etc? I kept saying since Update 3, they have been actually very fast.

Considering Verizon is barely pushing the One for Windows, let alone 8.1.1, I don't find much merit in this line of thinking. I was at HTC's US HQ a few months back, spoke with them, etc. They're a surprisingly small company with fewer resources than you think. Even budgets for marketing, which they get beat on by Samsung, is a very tough thing for them, as they have to spend wisely.

I just think they have a small team working on WP and updates, and it is not a priority for them. Remember, they sold those devices (8x, 8s) nearly two years ago. Many people are up for new contracts, so yeah, perhaps they want them to look at the One instead. Verizon does not market the One any more (or less) than the Icon, and much more than the ATIV SE.

In the end, it's just money, market share and doing business. Same with Samsung, who tell me that they are just keeping their foot in the door with Windows Phone.

This kind of falls inline with the other thread going on about the exclusivity and promotion (or lack thereof) in these devices. Daniel, you probably get a lot of access to these guys, more than we would ever see, to call them out on that stuff. I'd love to ask a VZW marketing VP "How is it you get the m8 for Windows as an exclusive but there is relatively NO SUPPORT or promotion in your stores?"

I mean, they can spout out market share is the reason they don't... but in my view, they shoot themselves in the foot and create this problem. Those WP enthusiasts and users that specifically go to a store to get a device are swayed away by their own employees. Yeah, those been here long enough know these stories. It rubs my nub and annoys the h*ll outta me though. Which is why I will only get what I want from online stores anymore. Besides, the web deals are usually better anyway.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
This November I can swap my Icon for an upgrade but there isnt anything to get.

I've been eligible for 14 days now to get an upgrade. I think I will hold out till Q1 or Q2 for these Windows 9 devices. If they release the 830 in the next 30-60 days I see that as an actual downgrade (if you have an Icon or m8)

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I want a 1525/1530 whatever number they assign to it the upgrade to the 1520. I will jump carriers if I have to and if they don't push the update soon, I'll jump anyway and settle for a 1520.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been eligible for 14 days now to get an upgrade. I think I will hold out till Q1 or Q2 for these Windows 9 devices. If they release the 830 in the next 30-60 days I see that as an actual downgrade (if you have an Icon or m8)

What I would do is to upgrade with an iPhone or high end Android and sell it. Keep the cash, and it will probably cover the full cost of Verizon's next WP.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Verizon is not bad about updates, they are just bad about Windows updates. My brother has a Samsung S3 that started out with Ice Cream , then went to Jelly Bean and then KitKat. When he got his new LG L3 three days ago his S3 had recently received KitKat 4.4.3. And everyone knows how they wisk IOs updates threw. Its only Windows updates that they seem to not care about. Makes ya wonder why they have all those new Lumia's when they don't seem to care about the Windows phones they already have. Myself I just moved from At&T to Consumer Cellular, My wife and I are paying almost 100$ a month less than what we paid to AT&T (three phones). Of course we still have to rely on AT&T for updates as Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's network and phones. I question now they can affort the same service on the same network for so much less money.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Switch carriers. Buy new WP device with 8.1 on board or via update. Enjoy the WP goodness. Life is good. Sorted. :cool:
I wish it was that easy. T-Mo and Sprint suck where I live. AT&T sucks period. Verizon just sucks less. Coverage matters and their coverage is way better here, unfortunately. They don't do much to inspire customer loyalty.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
no, no, no, do you really think that Microsoft going to let Verizon dictate what phone is going to be updated or not, if Microsoft supports the phone Verizon will have to update when all testing is done.
to both company satisfaction.
Do you think Microsoft going to put billions of dollars it to a phone system to have a carrier tell them no were not doing the update. I sure there contract states other wise. Just be patient, it will happen unless the phone goes obsolete, but that's another story.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
no, no, no, do you really think that Microsoft going to let Verizon dictate what phone is going to be updated or not, if Microsoft supports the phone Verizon will have to update when all testing is done.
to both company satisfaction.
Do you think Microsoft going to put billions of dollars it to a phone system to have a carrier tell them no were not doing the update. I sure there contract states other wise. Just be patient, it will happen unless the phone goes obsolete, but that's another story.
That's the problem. A carrier can decide any phone they sold is obsolete. Its not uncommon. Hopefully MS makes sure the contract with the carrier says they have to agree but past contracts did not. The best solution to this and LOTS of problems is the stupid concept of letting the carriers get involved in any way other than being just one of many places to buy a phone. Do you let Exxon tell you you you have to buy your car from them if you want to use their gas and let them decide when it is obsolete? No. Why let carriers do the equivalent? Most places in the world have a lot more sense.

stonetipapps

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
A major issue where I live is that only Verizon has decent coverage. AT&T is okay in some places. T-Mobile is non-existent. We also have to consider our multi-phone plan. So it isn't like I can easily, affordably maintain another phone for development testing. It took Verizon so long to come out with decent WP models like the 928 and the Icon. I'm happy with the Icon hardware, but am extremely disappointed that Verizon doesn't care, yet has so much control over its customers' hardware.

Why does Verizon feel the need to limit its users? I'm not going to upgrade until June 2016 anyway.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Verizon is a totally worthless company. I deal with them at both a business and home user level, and it's always painful. I'm always amazed that such a dysfunctional company can thrive as they do, but I guess that says more about the business environment than them. You're best bet is to just stay away if at all possible.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
....Bringing it here can do a lot. It bring this topic to the end user whom is getting screwed. These forums are most likely frequented by both Verizon and MS to see what is being said of them.

The Board of Directors are the ones that need to hear from us. If you think they have time to look at the forums, you're fooling yourself.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Verizon not worthless I remember the days when AT&T wasn't even in my area just Verizon.
my first was a bag phone , and I was happy to be able to call across town. outside the town that was a hit and miss for connection, I used to make maps to show my courier drivers were to stop contact me with the bag phone, talk about frustration trying to contact them, but it was better then the held hand radio we used to use. and year after year Verizon improved the network to a point I don't have to make maps any more. Thank you Verizon. then came AT&T and T mobile, as far as I was concerned AT&T has half the coverage in my area then Verizon and T-Mobile is like using a bag phone. the drivers that switched from Verizon wished they didn't for there service turned to frustration for them and me. I am sure that both carriers will improve., but for now I am happy with Verizon they do exactly what I need, make and receive a phone calls without the frustrations. well almost. So Verizon is not worthless where would we be without them. back to string between two cans.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
The Board of Directors are the ones that need to hear from us. If you think they have time to look at the forums, you're fooling yourself.

As are you if you think the BoD cares about a tiny subset of their customers wanting an update...especially around iPhone time...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers