Car stereos & WP

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
First off I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section, I'm really not sure where to put this.

I've got a Lumia Icon and I've also got an aftermarket stereo in my car. Unfortunately the stereo doesn't support using a USB cord to charge the phone and play music (the stereo has a USB port on it). I contacted the manufacturer of the radio and they told me that that specific unit only support that for Apple products and some Android phones.

Charging my phone from the stereo is almost a must and I'm wondering if any of you have aftermarket stereos in your cars and can plug your phone into the USB port on the stereo and have it charge and play music. I'm also not sure what's the required specification for Windows Phones to be able to connect via USB, hopefully someone here does.

Thank you!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Won't work, it is a Windows phone thing.

Buy a cheap cigarette lighter USB and use Bluetooth if you want to stream music from the phone.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps you might consider mentioning which stereo you have. Not very helpful to just say your unspecified stereo doesn't do something and then ask people which one does what you want. Half the time I see this sort of post anywhere, it is followed by people recommending the device the OP said doesn't work. Really not trying to be critical but if you want something that will work, you should start by providing more details yourself...

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Won't work, it is a Windows phone thing.

Buy a cheap cigarette lighter USB and use Bluetooth if you want to stream music from the phone.

It is absolutely NOT a Windows Phone thing - whatever that means. Since I travel quite a bit, I rent cars pretty often. The only time in recent months in which there was not a USB charging option associated with AUX access was in a useless Fiat 500 that still only had an old fashioned AUX port. Granted, it also had all of the hands free controls mounted on the back side of the steering wheel and none were labeled, so I can't say much for their design principles anyway.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
He was talking about the USB from the stereo, and playing music from it using the phone.
Sent from my Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry about the lack of information, I figured it wouldn't be needed. I have a JVC KD-X310BT, in the link at the bottom of this post. While it does have Bluetooth it just feels like a waste to not be able to use the USB port to charge the phone.

I find it especially odd that the phone won't even charge, though. I'm not surprised at it not playing music but I'm surprised It won't charge at all.
JVC Mobile Entertainment \ Digital Media Receiver - KD-X310BT \ Introduction

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
The USB of the headunit may not have enough power to charge it. The Alpine in my car won't charge the HTC 8S (needs 1A) but runs an external low-power hard disk (Hitachi drive, 500mA drain).

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
The power output of the usb port on that radio is 1A. There is no reason it can't charge your phone at least...
Only thing I can think of, is that it won't enable power unless it can identify the device.
My old iphone 3g won't charge from my computer, unless I've first installed itunes. Sort of backwards from your issue, but could be something in the radio preventing it.
What if you change the input source to usb? I know this won't help with the music part, but if it starts to charge then, the port may only be active is selected...

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if they exist but it would seem possible if there was enough demand for a Y cable with one branch for data/music/etc and the other for power if I understand the issue to be your phone gets too drained while just acting as a source for the music.

Of course you could copy the music to a thumb drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb