Swipe down on lock screen to open camera.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well it will probably make its way over as they converge the operating systems. Not sure why you guys are so against this. Definitely better to only have one step then two.

I have a Surface RT, and W3 tablet and don't use either camera. I take pics with my 1020. And it does have a one step launch from lock screen or resting.........press and hold the camera button.

I do believe 95% of Windows Phones have a Camera button....every Lumia does. Just off the top of my head I can not think of one model that is missing a camera button, but I am not an expert.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Surface RT, and W3 tablet and don't use either camera. I take pics with my 1020. And it does have a one step launch from lock screen or resting.........press and hold the camera button.

I do believe 95% of Windows Phones have a Camera button....every Lumia does. Just off the top of my head I can not think of one model that is missing a camera button, but I am not an expert.

Since the 8.1 requirements did away with the key requirement, its since vanished from some models. Namely the HTC One (M8) for Windows, which never had one anyway, the lower cost Lumia 530, 63x, and 73x and the Samsung ATIV SE

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Finally some people who understand!
Swiping up would be copying iPhones and you know have Apple like to sue.... Swiping left cannot be done because that's for kids corner. Swiping right would confuse a lot of iPhone converts since because that's the direction they swipe to unlock. Swiping down the show the action centre and tapping the camera icon is intuitive enough and consistent enough with windows 8. I don't understand this complaint because on both platforms you swipe up to unlock and swipe down to access the camera(in some sort) isn't the lock screen consistent enough?

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with Trevor. All of you are making a fuss for a perfectely good function that although not very significant, would allow more continuity in the Microsoft ecosystem.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with Trevor. All of you are making a fuss for a perfectely good function that although not very significant, would allow more continuity in the Microsoft ecosystem.

Because it's not a game changing addition, and I'd prefer to have Microsoft work on other additions than this. Sorry, sir.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Since the 8.1 requirements did away with the key requirement, its since vanished from some models. Namely the HTC One (M8) for Windows, which never had one anyway, the lower cost Lumia 530, 63x, and 73x and the Samsung ATIV SE

Thanks !! As I said I am no expert. I did not know that many models were with out a Camera button.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Swiping up would be copying iPhones and you know have Apple like to sue.... Swiping left cannot be done because that's for kids corner. Swiping right would confuse a lot of iPhone converts since because that's the direction they swipe to unlock. Swiping down the show the action centre and tapping the camera icon is intuitive enough and consistent enough with windows 8. I don't understand this complaint because on both platforms you swipe up to unlock and swipe down to access the camera(in some sort) isn't the lock screen consistent enough?

Nobody suggested swiping any other way than down. Which is how it works in windows 8 and is very fast and fluid. Much better than having to hit a toggle and I doubt it would be very difficult for Microsoft to implement the code into windows phone.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Nobody suggested swiping any other way than down. Which is how it works in windows 8 and is very fast and fluid. Much better than having to hit a toggle and I doubt it would be very difficult for Microsoft to implement the code into windows phone.

Yes, but what if I want to go into the notification center and then I activate the camera - then I'd have to go back (either after checking or before).

That's why I'm saying, why. Why make it the same action as something that's already there. Why not do something different.

Like what? Well, why not place 4-5 customizable buttons on the bottom of the home screen to launch any app we wish to.

That way, if people would like a camera button on the lock screen, then it'll be faster than swiping anything down, it's just a simple press of a button; and you have 3-4 more buttons to customize (WPCentral anyone? ;) ).

Boom. As an added bonus, it's different too, and the space of being wasted anyways (we can move the notifications upward).

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Swiping is fluid. Button pressing is not. And you dont have to look at a variety of buttons to figure out which one to press. You simply swipe down and it goes into camera like when you swipe up and the lock comes up. Also swiping down from middle the screen is different then swiping down from the top edge of the screen which brings down notification center. When they add notification center to windows 9 I expect surface tablets to work exactly this way.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps if they give the option of swipe down to launch the camera how you have the option for double tap to wake the device. Or possibly with orientation, if you hold the phone in landscape mode and swipe down (or right to left if holding the phone vertically) it can launch the camera. Something like that could be possible.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah right to left wouldn't be bad. I just think its more natural to swipe down and it provides continuity between windows phone and windows 8.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
It would be as long as you are taking the photo in landscape mode. As long as the phone is held horizontally the swipe down for camera should launch and keep it natural. Also less screen real estate to swipe down when horizontal than reaching to swipe down when held vertically. Easy compromise for larger phablets, and smaller phones.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
@colin if you want not see notifications pull down notification center?

@Aresjr yeah that's true I just feel no matter which way I'm holding the phone it feels better on my finger to swipe down and its not like you have to swipe the whole screen. A short swipe usually works.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
True, but you would have to have a specific spot on the screen to swipe for notification and the camera. I don't think that would turn out good really. I feel as though that would be harder to implement with have the screen dedicated to launching a camera. It seems like an odd place to launch a camera. I would assume swiping an edge since you already swipe edges to launch the lock pad, notification center, etc. To throw in a middle swipe just doesn't mesh with the other application launchers.

Trevor Wolfe

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
You can swipe up anywhere on the screen to open lock. Swiping down for camera would essentially be the same as lock since for notification center you have to swipe down from edge of screen.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You can swipe up anywhere on the screen to open lock. Swiping down for camera would essentially be the same as lock since for notification center you have to swipe down from edge of screen.
the average customer is going to be very confused lol.but yeah I like the idea of swiping down but I heard they are bringing the action centre to windows 9 soo, you might as well just leave it how it is in the action centre since its the same everywhere in the OS and accessed everywhere in the OS unlinke the camera gesture in windows 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786