Getting replacement phone with 8.0

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
My screen cracked today and I'm getting a replacement ATIV S. This new one will not have 8.1 on it as I'm part of the dev preview program. It will be stock 8.0

Does anyone know how the device will handle it when I log in? It won't be able to configure the start screen, some apps won't work, etc. Will this cause any big issues? Or will it just say something like sorry couldn't configure.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
But if I sign in without restoring, will it erase my restored point? After all, the new signing in would be my home screen right?

-edit-

Or are you saying sign in with some other email address?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
But if I sign in without restoring, will it erase my restored point? After all, the new signing in would be my home screen right?

-edit-

Or are you saying sign in with some other email address?
If you don't sign in it won't know there even is a restore for it so it can't delete or do anything with it. Your sign in is how everything is tied together.

What I did was not sign in at all until after I did the hard reset after updating the phone.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually, 8.0 won't even see the back up created with 8.1. You need to sign in to use developer preview. You can use a different Microsoft account but it's not necessary to do so. Basically you sign in but don't restore any old backups and don't enable backup either; then immediately proceed and download Preview for Developers app, launch the app and sign in with the same Microsoft account you originally enrolled in the program and enable it; then install all the updates, perform a hard reset, sign in again and restore your original backup.

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Signing into developer preview is different from the sign in to a Windows account when WP first runs. You do NOT need to sign into your windows account to do the update. You do need to sign into developer preview separately whether you sign your phone in or not. It is distinctly better to NOT sign the phone in because that can open the door to unintended loss of backups. Just sign into developer preview to avoid those risks. Save the phone sign in for after all the updates are done and a hard reset has been done.

You need to sign in to your regular Microsoft account in order to download any apps, including Preview for Developers app. If you want to be extra careful, you can temporarily use a different Microsoft account, but I've done this several times and found that it isn't explicitly necessary, and that WP 8.0 doesn't even see any backups created in WP 8.1.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
You need to sign in to your regular Microsoft account in order to download any apps, including Preview for Developers app. If you want to be extra careful, you can temporarily use a different Microsoft account, but I've done this several times and found that it isn't explicitly necessary, and that WP 8.0 doesn't even see any backups created in WP 8.1.
Doh! Right. Don't know what I was thinking.

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks for all the responses.

Just in case anyone is wondering; the phone is smart enough to know which backup to do. Upon signing in to the stock 8.0, it asked if I wanted to do a backup from April (which would've been before I installed 8.1). However upon downloading dev preview and then updating to 8.1, upon hard resetting it asked if I wanted to do a backup from Sept 28.

I thought that was pretty good of it to be able to recognize it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos