Few question regarding "One Drive" photo backup (WP 8.1 U1)

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have few issues I can't seem to work around regarding One Drive photo backup, maybe you can help ?

1. If I'm away from wifi for more than 12 hours or so, the phone will NOT upload the pictures taken during that time, upon connecting back to wifi. If it's 2-5 hours, than yes. More than that - nope. It's annoying, as most of the time these are pictures taken at trips, and I need to remember to upload them manually using the onedrive app.

2. Is there a way to auto-backup the "Saved Pictures" and "Screenshots" folders, or is it just backing up the "Camera Roll" folder ?

3. Is there a way to auto-backup any other user created/app created folder ? ("WhatsApp" for example)

Thanks!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
We were on Dartmoor a few weeks ago, no phone signal for days let alone wi-fi and the only time we got a wi-fi signal was when we got home (We did try a MacDonald's but their system was down) and all our pictures and video's were transferred to OneDrive and viewable on our Xbox One by the time we got our bike gear off and had a cup of tea, can't say I know if there is a setting, but maybe it's worth another look around your settings to see if it's something obvious.

Bob

anon(3925991)

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I have experienced the same issue. When you take pictures they will be uploaded once you have wifi the same day. If you only have connectivity after a few days not all photos are uploaded.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Under "photos+video" for OneDrive backup, do you have Best Quality selected? If so what will only upload photos with wifi. (Vidos will only upload with wifi.) As for Saved Pictures, on my Lumia 920 they backup with my OneDrive camera roll. I've yet been able to have my screen shot folder backup to OneDrive yet.

LiberBliss

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I too also am interested to know how to make Whatsapp photos to auto-upload. I receive quite a few photos every day in my Whatsapp messenger.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I too also am interested to know how to make Whatsapp photos to auto-upload. I receive quite a few photos every day in my Whatsapp messenger.
If your OneDrive album Saved Pictures are automatically backing up to the cloud, I would recommend saving your photos. I can't verify right now, but If I recall correctly, WhatsApp has a setting to automatically save photos to your device and that should go to your Saved Pictures album.

elangab

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Under "photos+video" for OneDrive backup, do you have Best Quality selected? If so what will only upload photos with wifi. (Vidos will only upload with wifi.) As for Saved Pictures, on my Lumia 920 they backup with my OneDrive camera roll. I've yet been able to have my screen shot folder backup to OneDrive yet.

Hi,

Yes, that's the setting that I'm using. It is uploading only via wifi, but my problem is that if the device doesn't have wifi for more than 12 hours, it won't upload the pictures taken during the non-wifi time, it's like they're being deleted from the upload que or something like that. Sadly, other albums won't upload too... Is there a way to "reset" the one drive upload settings ?

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
The thing is it will only upload with WiFi with best selected. If you want to upload at any time select "Good Quality" instead. That would upload both via WiFi and data plan. Best Quality requires WiFi, it doesn't matter how long you are away from it they won't resume uploading until then.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the same exact problem on two different trips; photos don't synch with OneDrive after a period of time away from WiFi.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I've seen the same exact problem on two different trips; photos don't synch with OneDrive after a period of time away from WiFi.

Are you referring to the albums themselves no longer syncing? For instance when you go to view the album the pictures no longer load? If that is the case, if you don't have a data plan they will stop syncing.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I think you're missing the point Areshr21. So let me see if I can simplify it some.

I took a 2 day trip to KS for a business trip and on the air flight to KS I took some really nice shots out the window of the engine, wing and low light then took some photos before I left. I had no WiFi access for those 2 days; being I don't like connecting to public WiFi. A few days later at home I was browsing my OneDrive Photos > Camera Roll and the only photos that synched where the photos I took before my flight home. The ones I took on the air flight to KS were no where to be found but they were their plain as day on the phone.

So it seems that if you are away from a WiFi connection for period of time the photos that were queued to be synched expired and were removed from the queue.

It happened again recently when traveling to AZ for 4 days. All photos prior to the day going home never synched.

Now that I have 8.1.1 installed I don't know if still happens or not.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to force a synch to OneDrive? The only photos that "auto" synched were the ones taken in the last few hours prior to arriving home and connecting to my WiFi.

joshualafleur

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have been having the EXACT same problem since July. Is there any way to get feedback to Microsoft on this bug? I have an Icon running DP 8.1 update 1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett