Windows 8.1 update on lumia 920

Chelmuth

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've just updated to 8.1 on my lumia 920, and after that everything has gone downhill.

Some of my problems:

-My Here maps navigation doesn't work anymore, it just returns me straight to the home screen.
-My Beta drive doesn't work anymore, it does the same thing as the navigation.
-I can't listen music on shuffle mode anymore, whenever I switch songs, it starts straight from the letter "A" and goes from there.
-My battery life has gone from bad to worse, I now have to have my power save mode on all the time, and the battery lasts for 5-6 hours (used to be whole day easily), I can get it to last longer with flight mode on, but seriously, I would also be able to take calls from people with my PHONE. The battery life is 5-6 hours with power saver mode if I am only listening to music (not streaming, my own music) and maybe sending a few text messages.
-Microsoft live account is always nagging me to link my account to my phone, when I try to do that, it just throws me back to the "give your password" page.

I have tried to control my backround application for more battery life, but on power saver mode it usually doesn't even allow backround application to run, so that isn't the issue here. On power save settings it says that nokia music and whatsapp are eating most of my battery, but I really cannot see how they could eat so much of it when I don't even allow them to work on backround, this can't be normal.

I've tried to download more maps and update my HERE maps, but nothing seems to work.

I've reseted my windows live account password multiple times and tried to get it working by attaching my number to my account etc. Nothing works.

So this update has rendered my already average phone to a useless brick, which I cannot use for communicating with people or listening to music without the battery dying in an instant, and I cannot use the best part of Nokia phones which the maps. I wish I had never downloaded this useless update in the first place.

Now I've seen on numerous forums the same "do the hard reset" answer, I think it is kinda preposterous that the only way to get your phone to work like it should, is to clean all your data from it. This post might be a bit more of an "vent out" - post than a cry for help, because I doubt that anyone can give me a better solution than doing hard reset. Still all help is welcome.

My two cents.
Thank you.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I also have a 920, and am not having these problems. However, I didn't go through the update process, I used the Nokia Software Recovery Tool to install Cyan and 8.1 from scratch. In my opinion, the update program is substantially buggier than WP itself is, so I preferred to avoid it.

I assume you've tried a soft reset. Since Battery Saver indicates that XBox Music and whatsapp are using the power, have you tried uninstalling these 2 apps (temporarily, of course) to see if it gets better with them gone? Maybe they'll be better after an uninstall/reinstall cycle. You may want to try the same thing with HERE. I don't know if it will work, but if it does, it will keep you from having to wipe your phone.

If you end up with no better choice than a hard reset, I'd suggest considering a reinstall using NSRT. You don't lose any more data, and if there's some corruption from the update that the reset can't fix, the NSRT reinstall should clean that up, too. Just a suggestion, of course.

Best of luck to you.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
You didn't state if you have done a soft reset. If not try this first it effects nothing negatively. I have a 920 with wp8.1 and update 1 on it through the dp program and have the same battery life I've always had. Sounds like a stuck process. Probably due to a badly coded app. I've noticed on these forums that many with severe battery issues are using the what sup app (I believe that's the right name). To do a soft reset hold the volume down and power button down for about 10-20 seconds until the phone vibrates and reboots. As far as a hard reset goes. You will only lose saved fame data and data on apps that don't have a backup option (this is assuming you have set up the backup function on your phone). What you are experiencing is not the normal experience for wp8.1 on a 920. I really hope this helps. I would be really frustrated as well. Good luck.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I never had the DP and upgraded my 920 'normally'. I have had no issues, to date. I suggest that you check Battery Saver for clues to your battery issues. Also, check what can run in the background. I noticed, after upgrading, that just about everything was allowed to run, so I disallowed a bunch of apps.

Chelmuth

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Thank you for the responses, really didn't expect to get any. I have done the soft reset several times and it does nothing. I will probably try to first uninstall the apps, but as I said, something is really wrong here, my battery save mode shows that whatsapp and nokia music are using most of the battery, but still they are using very little. The most interesting thing here is that most of my apps would like to update themselves, but they cannot be updated untill my microsoft live account accepts my password, but it just doesn't do that.

I did not know about the NSRT, thank you for that. I will try it if everything else fails.

I will try to keep you posted on what happens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss