Excellent Hardware-Pathetic software/app support 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinash K

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Patience is running out...:eck::eck::eck::eck:
MS has screwed the awesome WP experience due to the lack of quality of apps.
Although, not all apps are of bad quality but some basic common important ones like Whatsapp, facebook, twitter!!!
Whatsapp - sync is glitchy. Crashes..
FB/FB Beta- Do i need to say it? WORST app i have ever seen
Twitter - :(
FB Messenger - :|

C'mon Microsoft!!! Lumia devices are the BEST but due to lack of app quality, it ruins the experience. I love WP, have been a windows phone user since past a few years (currently using 1520). BUT, now i am seriously thinking about migrating to android :(
How long do we have to wait for Quality apps?:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Zephyr716

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Avinash. But to be clear I'm ok with the experience and all I just feel like Microsoft is taking wayyyyyy too long to release another flagship. Getting tired of my Lumia 1520 so I've been wanting to go to Android for a bit as well. But that's just me, no hard feelings I've been with WP since Launch of Dell Venue Pro

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Although, not all apps are of bad quality but some basic common important ones like Whatsapp, facebook, twitter!!!

C'mon Microsoft!!! Lumia devices are the BEST but due to lack of app quality, it ruins the experience. I love WP, have been a windows phone user since past a few years (currently using 1520). BUT, now i am seriously thinking about migrating to android :(
How long do we have to wait for Quality apps?:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

I would recommend sticking to Windows Phone until Windows 10 is released, maybe it gives developers enough of an incentive to make their applications better for Windows Phone.

Why are you posting this here? Who cares if you are going to trashdroid or not. Do it if you want but if you think we are going with you then you are dreaming.

Send an email to MS.

Wow you clearly have issues with Android, you can't put someone down simply like that, it's wrong and just plain rude.

What is the Email of MS that I can use to contact them?

I don't get the point of these posts...

What's wrong with Twitter? I don't miss any of the features from the Android app. Heck, the good people at Twitter were nice enough to add both black and white themes which is something all devs should incorporate.

Messenger is fine too. It works, and you can share both snapshots and pictures. What are you complaining about?

Twitter for Windows just isn't as fast in loading up nor in scrolling from my experience, also it doesn't have an inline GIF player nor does it redirect you to the YouTube app instead of always taking you to the browser.

Messenger from the last time I used it was...terrible. There we're no chatheads nor could I enter a new paragraph using the return key.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Complain to the devs of whatsapp and Twitter, Microsoft doesn't make those apps. Facebook however, is all on them so feel free to hit their support forums to air your complaints.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Twitter for Windows just isn't as fast in loading up nor in scrolling from my experience, also it doesn't have an inline GIF player nor does it redirect you to the YouTube app instead of always taking you to the browser.

Messenger from the last time I used it was...terrible. There we're no chatheads nor could I enter a new paragraph using the return key.

Is it really noticeably slow? Hm. I suppose compared to newest Androids it might be. Of course there is a matter of there not being an official YouTube app at all that it doesn't... I agree with the GIF thing. There is always room for improvements but those things certainly aren't deal-breakers. It's no surprise that Android gets the most features in the apps, though. Huge market gives incentive.

They added the return key to break lines in Messenger, it's not actually that bad now. I hope they add a black theme to it... I use it quite a bit for chats and it is not at all kind to the battery with AMOLED screen.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Is it really noticeably slow? Hm. I suppose compared to newest Androids it might be. Of course there is a matter of there not being an official YouTube app at all that it doesn't... I agree with the GIF thing. There is always room for improvements but those things certainly aren't deal-breakers. It's no surprise that Android gets the most features in the apps, though. Huge market gives incentive.

They added the return key to break lines in Messenger, it's not actually that bad now. I hope they add a black theme to it... I use it quite a bit for chats and it is not at all kind to the battery with AMOLED screen.

Windows Phone much like iOS has limitations put in place for how fast you can scroll, and this translates into generally slower scrolling in Twitter. Plus I've also noticed that data caching is better on the Android app making scrolling all the more better.

What killed the Facebook Messenger experience on Windows Phone for me, was no ability to enter a new paragraph, no ability to send pre recorded videos, no audio messages can be sent and the names on top of the convo are too large.

Some of these "faults" are not because of developers but because of the Windows Phone's UI/UX.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Can't say I have any issues with FB or Twitter apps but I agree the Messenger app is a bad joke.

I also agree with the position that WP and Windows apps are frequently inferior to the ios and Android versions. It is not a universal but if pretty common. I am reminded of it every time I rent a car from Hertz. The WP and W8 apps are clumsy and lack features - they are also prone to crashing and don't even always show my reservations. I have even gone as far as using the Android app through DuOS to make a couple reservations recently.

FWIW, I would encourage anyone who insists on saying the app problem either doesn't exist, or is not significant to try DuOS and take a look at what is available elsewhere. Off the top of my head, there are apps for SW Airlines, Frontier Airlines, State Farm, VZW,s message service, AAA, USBank, Ikea, numerous other retailers, Barclay Bank (for US customers), Time Warner Cable, HBOGO,, numerous hiking/outdoor activity apps, fully functional apps for other airlines, hotels, and car rental companies;. There is even an app for the local electric utility. As it stands, given Microsoft's deep pockets and technical resources, they have done a terrible job of getting app developers on board. If they have no other reason to build apps for the platforms, just pay them to do it.

With all that said though, I have no intention of going elsewhere. I am not a fan of ios and refuse to give Google unlimited access to my personal data. I also consider Google to be ethically challenged to put it mildly.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

As MS did not write nor does it support these apps, perhaps you should be whinging on their forums.

Seems to me that MS has two choices. Take the app with its issues and have people complain that it is imperfect or not take the app until it is 100% and have people complain that the app is not available.

Avinash K

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
As MS did not write nor does it support these apps, perhaps you should be whinging on their forums.

Seems to me that MS has two choices. Take the app with its issues and have people complain that it is imperfect or not take the app until it is 100% and have people complain that the app is not available.

So, you are saying MS has nothing to do with apps availability in WP ??
Then, what exactly MS is supposed to do?
Why Developers make apps for IOS, Android but NOT wp?

wp_nerd

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I share some of the frustration with the OP but like someone else said, its the app devs that are the problem really not MS.

The OS is solid, stable and smooth now. The so called app gap has diminished for the most part since the most useful apps now exist in our store.

The biggest problem appears to be the devs either release a cross platform app and forget about it or they release a half arsed version in comparison to ios or droid and then ... Forget about it. They also offer very little or no support for 1080p devices making these apps look ridiculous on large screens.

They gave me iPhone for work and I installed the same apps as I have on my 1520 and the updates that poor in on the iPhone does beat the win phone by a few country miles.

What Microsoft can certainly do to help the situation is keep the system updates coming because perception is everything in this game. It'll hopefully show the devs the serious direction if the platform and keep them interested. Once apps are advertised as available on all 3 platforms, the punters who never usually look at windows will recognise an advertising pattern ...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
[INFO]
Anymore off topic or chest thumping in this thread and it's over...
[/INFO]

Last edited:

Avinash K

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I have changed the Ship and moved to android..
I loved and will always love WP, however, it was unable to serve my purpose.
Love everyone# Peace :)

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
So, you are saying MS has nothing to do with apps availability in WP ??
Then, what exactly MS is supposed to do?
Why Developers make apps for IOS, Android but NOT wp?

Because there is no money it. Think about it. Developing good apps takes a lot of investment and capital. You focus on the platforms that generate most revenue. That simple.

It is one of the reasons why Blackberry died. Less people used the platform meaning less developers made BB apps. Then less people follow a platform because of lack of dev support and the cycle snowballs.

Microsoft can't change those business facts unless they start giving a lot of cash to developers which isn't worth it in the long run for the developer company. Remember app revenue is a volume based system: More users means more cash.

Sorry, but unless things change you are going to see more and more devs abandon this awesome platform. Sad but true 😢

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett