Why can't WP take off?

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I want to see the kind of meteoric rise of WP that Android had/has or that Microsoft had with windows 95/XP/7.

It seems like you end up with a really flexible but unmanageable platform that becomes a nightmare to maintain and keep stable.

I do hope that WP keeps growing but I don't really want to see it go spinning out of control either.

what do you mean?

its already like that with wp 7, 7.8, 8, 8.1 and 8.1 update 1'

what is your point, its still going to happen with 10 and its flexible updates

later

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
what do you mean?

its already like that with wp 7, 7.8, 8, 8.1 and 8.1 update 1'

what is your point, its still going to happen with 10 and its flexible updates

later

What do you mean? The only part of WP that is fragmented out is 7.xx

8+ applies to all devices. It's just not rolled out to every phone at once. Which is probably better than crashing servers and phones like Apple does with their releases every year that go to everyone at once.

W10 will apply to all devices too.

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of google, but look at Anroid L. And even iOS8.
Software is way behind. App gap is still here. New hardware (post-1520) is extremely uninspired. To play from behind they need to lead or to catch up at least in one department. Probably they are going all-in on Windows 10 release, but we will have new Android and iOS out there by the time W10 rolls out.
Maybe WP can find it's place on the developing markets. Maybe.
Oh, and don't forget that a damn genius who introduced us 1020, a flagship that meat it's EOL in one year after release, is still in charge on the phone business in MSFT, so hardware part might be messy at very least.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why do their older devices have performance problems with newer OS versions? To make people upgrade to their latest products.

Or, maybe, just maybe, because the older hardware has problems running the newer OSs in the same way that a Pentium 4 would have performance problems running 64bit Windows 7?

Or is that Microsoft's method of "planned obsolescence" to force you to upgrade by slowing your devices down with new OS updates as well?

Ma1dere

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Bad news: Pentium 4 won't be able running Win 7 64.
Good news: Google vastly improved their "omg zomg fsafasfa lagdroid" performance in 4.4 (especialy on 512 mb devies). It runs super smooth on devices like Moto G and even Moto E.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm close to moving from WP to Android. Why? Not enough high end WP options. I'm on ATT and I don't want a phablet and I don't like HTC phones. Love the Lumia line, but the only top end ATT options are outdated or the huge phablet.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
If wp wants to tale off In America (I say America because it already is in many other countries) microsoft needs to do 1 thing. Advertise more and more importantly have bonus financial incentives to sell their phone like every other major player does frequently. Bonus money incentives is the main reason salesmen push people to other platforms (they make more selling them). Do that and I guarantee overnight many of the same salespeople telling you WP is crap then directing you to a specific android or iPhone will start pushing the phone. In reality most salespeople could give a crap what you buy they sell what makes them the most and what their sales managers push to hit bonus incentives for hitting certain sales targets for specific phones. Its that easy. Once that changes more people will try WP, more people means more app targeting (the main complaint people site), and it will start taking off. Sacrifice some profit margin now to get market share up and they will sell more later. The sale price doesn't matter as much as most people aren't familiar with it so even if their considering WP if the salesperson comvinces them its a piece of crap that's enough for them to stick with an os their comfortable with.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
i don't think this is correct. microsoft offers tons of affordable phone. seems like they offer a couple news one everyone month. what they lack are real flagship phones it seems to me that they are prioritizing cheap hardware in order to reach more people. i understand that strategy. what i don't get is why they won't get a couple top of the line flagship phones on every major carrier. one way to get people talking about your products is to offer something incredible. i think they should be attacking sales at both ends, high-end phones and low-end phones. as i mentioned above, i'll likely switch to android in a month or so, because there are no interesting high end windows phone on att. i don't want a huge phablet and i've never liked htc phones. i could go for the 1020, but that's old tech at this point. i could consider the 830, but that's a low end effort at a flagship device. i want a full on flagship and there isn't one on att.

sometimes i think microsoft is content to simply go the way of ibm.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Why do their older devices have performance problems with newer OS versions? To make people upgrade to their latest products.

Seriously?...all of them do this not just Apple/iPhone. And I'm sure its not intentional as its more a requirement to have more processing power to run new software, since its more demanding.

As for the topic, the reality is in North America:
  1. Android and iPhone have such a strong following any other competitor would have a difficult time steering users away
  2. Windows isnt the "cool" factor unfortunately, especially for younger folks
  3. Here in Canada, the lack of devices hurts them
  4. Everytime i ask someone about WP, they have a pre-installed notion of "App Gap"...while its not as big as most think, it exists...people can decide to believe this or not.
  5. The biggest problem is theres no incentive for people to leave Apple/Google, not because Windows isnt AS GOOD...but because it doesnt offer anything outstanding from its competition, unfortunately. In order for MS to pull users away, they need to built REAL reasons for people to leave, such as revolutionary Apps not offered on Droid/iPhone, or even exclusive Xbox Mobile games (Halo is a starting point) hardcore gamers want.

Im not trying to be negative but those are my honest opinions. I still recommend WP to people who want a DIFFERENT experience and arent dependent on Apps (not avaliable on WP).

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
*ding* Give this man a cigar!

Everytime i ask someone about WP, they have a pre-installed notion of "App Gap"

EXACTLY! We can all sit here and rage that there is no longer an app gap, or it only applies to regional financial institutions (for example), but the *perception* of the people who aren't using WP is that there is an app gap.

The biggest problem is theres no incentive for people to leave Apple/Google, not because Windows isnt AS GOOD...but because it doesnt offer anything outstanding from its competition, unfortunately.

Right again. For as much as we'd all like to scream to the heavens otherwise, Live Tiles and the Microsoft ecosystem just aren't enough to make Android and iOS users switch.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Or, maybe, just maybe, because the older hardware has problems running the newer OSs in the same way that a Pentium 4 would have performance problems running 64bit Windows 7?

Or is that Microsoft's method of "planned obsolescence" to force you to upgrade by slowing your devices down with new OS updates as well?

Except Microsoft don't force you to update to the latest version of Windows by pre-loading it like Apple did with iOS7, even on older devices.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's not really a point though is it as there's a 32-bit version of Windows 7.

Whatever. You're playing semantics; you know very well my point was that older hardware tends to not run newer operating systems as well as does newer hardware, be it Apple, HP/Compaq, Lenovo, Microsoft, whatever.

Except Microsoft don't force you to update to the latest version of Windows by pre-loading it like Apple did with iOS7, even on older devices.

If I had an iPhone 4 with iOS 6, it was my choice to upgrade to iOS 7. Not Apple's. Apple hadn't forced me to update in any way.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The thing is WP will take off next year by default.

Yeah we've been hearing similar sentiments for the last several years. It started with the release of WP7, and since then it's been said every time there's an update imminent. I believe it might happen sometime, but I'm not holding my breath anymore. Basically, I'll believe it when I see it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Whatever. You're playing semantics; you know very well my point was that older hardware tends to not run newer operating systems as well as does newer hardware, be it Apple, HP/Compaq, Lenovo, Microsoft, whatever.

Yet Pentium 4 machines can run Vista and Windows 7 as long as the other hardware meets the requirements as well, upgrading to a new version of Windows doesn't just depend on the processor so what's your point.

If I had an iPhone 4 with iOS 6, it was my choice to upgrade to iOS 7. Not Apple's. Apple hadn't forced me to update in any way.

Yet Apple pushed the update out to those older devices and it sat in the background waiting to be installed with no way to remove it.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yet Pentium 4 machines can run Vista and Windows 7 as long as the other hardware meets the requirements as well

At no point did I say it couldn't; I said it wouldn't run as well as it would on newer hardware and there would be some performance issues. Are you really trying to say that older hardware will run newer OSs as well as newer hardware? Or are you just being argumentative for fun?

Yet Apple pushed the update out to those older devices and it sat in the background waiting to be installed with no way to remove it.

Check your terminology; Apple does not push updates on users. They send a notification that it's available, but it's up to the user to tap "download and install". Which is no different from the way that Windows Phone or Android handles updates; they send a notification that the update is available, and then the user can download and install it or not at their whim.

PanWorks

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I think that enterprise market share in the United States will grow significantly with Windows 10. Consumer market share is a more difficult proposition. Ultimately, Microsoft needs to show average consumers what the current incarnation of Windows Phone offers over competing platforms.

They're trying to do this. Most recent ads in the U.S. have been humorous "battles" between Siri and Cortana. I agree that Cortana is more useful than Siri, but this is a feature that is not available on many Windows Phones without going the DP route (which the average consumer simply won't do). On Verizon, the only phone with official Cortana is the M8, so Microsoft is pushing a feature not available on the majority of phones on the largest carrier in the U.S..

To really push WP in the consumer market, Microsoft needs to have a series of ads that address differentiating features all Windows Phone have, and this relates to the design of the UI. It's tremendously useful and smart that that menu items and controls are at the bottom of the screen. This makes them reachable on WP in ways that iOS and Android need to work around. Design an ad with a catchy tune and the theme of "Big Phone, No Strain" and show how all menu items are within easy reach on all phone sizes.

Another UI feature that could be easily highlighted is pinning individual contacts, documents, albums in ways that are can't happen on iOS (though Android can do some similar things). Make an ad with some younger person listening to a catchy tune and pining his/her favorite contacts, musical artists, and OneNote to do lists (mix of social and school/business engagements), and end with the tagline "This is me. This is the new Windows.

Of course, these suggestions have probably been considered and dismissed by the WP marketing teams. I just think that a back-to-basics focus on UI needs to accompany the forward-looking Cortana spots. At the very least, it would give carrier representatives talking points for all of the phones they offer.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if any of you have seen the promo video for the app called "Sway"...

In this video, MS shows how much they don't care about WP. The future app is running on iPhone (first device we see), PC, iPad and Surface. At least, that's what the video shows.

The video also shows it running on Windows Phone, so your point of Microsoft not caring about Windows Phone doesn't make any sense.

Fn1zXyu.jpg

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
My bad, Microsoft did show a Lumia... at 1:33 out of 1:51... waaaaay after the iPhone was showcased. Yet, you got my point... or not.

Even if 1 Lumia is shown, it's still not the main device in this ad. While it should have been the only phone displayed, period.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs