What's the best device to try out Windows Phone?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
So, right now I'm using the Android version of the HTC ONE M8 and while I think androids a good OS (I think I'm liking it more than ios) there are annoyances with performance and ffluidity that is having me perhaps eyeing other options. So, I'm looking to give Windows phone a good test drive and I'm wondering what's the best device to do that? Since I'm still under contract with the M8, it'll have to be a off contract option thats on att and it'll have to be relatively inexpensive since I'm unsure I'm going to stick with it. I was thinking the 635, but it seems rather underspeced. The upcoming 830 looks good as well, but I don't know what the price will be on that device.

I was considering this switch because I find myself wanting to use MS services a lot more and assumed WP would be the best fit for those. Although I could just use them on Android I suppose, but I don't know how good a non Google experience would be on Android.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
u may try out latest 730. the budget would be around $230 - 240.
i feel it's a perfectly balanced device and should get u impressed on try.
if the device impression is not needed, u may use any other phone for the OS. most of the phones run similar OS now.
but if the phone quality to be checked, go for Nokia (Now MS).

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
u may try out latest 730. the budget would be around $230 - 240.
i feel it's a perfectly balanced device and should get u impressed on try.
if the device impression is not needed, u may use any other phone for the OS. most of the phones run similar OS now.
but if the phone quality to be checked, go for Nokia (Now MS).

Well, I used wp before, so I have a idea what's it's like. I'd just like a inexpensive option that's going to be good

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Going on two years with my 920 and love it. 32g memory, qi wireless charging integrated, and built tough as ****. Still runs smooth too.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
If you can find a L920 in a used but excellent condition that would be a way to go. Although it will lack the sensor core and hey Cortana I feel as though it would give you a good experience of WP. Not to mention it is a former flagship phone that is equal, roughly, to the upcoming L830.

saras112

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
So, right now I'm using the Android version of the HTC ONE M8 and while I think androids a good OS (I think I'm liking it more than ios) there are annoyances with performance and ffluidity that is having me perhaps eyeing other options. So, I'm looking to give Windows phone a good test drive and I'm wondering what's the best device to do that? Since I'm still under contract with the M8, it'll have to be a off contract option thats on att and it'll have to be relatively inexpensive since I'm unsure I'm going to stick with it. I was thinking the 635, but it seems rather underspeced. The upcoming 830 looks good as well, but I don't know what the price will be on that device.

I was considering this switch because I find myself wanting to use MS services a lot more and assumed WP would be the best fit for those. Although I could just use them on Android I suppose, but I don't know how good a non Google experience would be on Android.
I'd buy Lumia 625

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your budget. For a new trial, start with a basic device so you can get the feel of the apps and wp experience. If you're still happy, then can update to a midrange, upper end. I honestly don't think its worth spending 300dollar plus on a wp. Take a look at some budget oriented..

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Is the 635 going to offer a good experience though?

It will at least give you a good idea of what to expect. The windows phone OS runs smoothly on all of the devices so that's the good thing. You don't have to have the high end phone to get the positive experience or feel for it. The 635 would be a reasonable choice to test the waters.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I own 4 Windows phones but if I did not have any and wanted to try WP I would buy a 635 from AT&T (locked) for 99$. But I would get a no contract hookup with Consumer Cellular (which uses At&t phones & network)

CapoFantasma97

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Is the 635 going to offer a good experience though?

I tested a bit the 635 (I don't own it though), and the soft touch buttons turned into touch ones is pretty annoying for me.
With the soft touch buttons you have a feedback when you touch it, and they rest where they are, while the touch ones don't have a feedback when you touch them.
Also the missing camera button in my opinion feels a lot, you have to place Nokia Camera or the built in app as a tile or in the (not sure how do you call it, if I litterally translate the word is Curtain), and you have to touch the screen to take photos.
Another thing are the tiles: while with the "old gen" (x2x) Lumias you can decide in the settings if you want 2 rows of tiles or 3, with the new series (x3x) you can't.

But in the end, if those things really don't bother you, the 635 is still a good device up-to-date (if you are the type who keeps himself updated, if you have to sell a phone, you sell better a recent phone than an older one) and with good specs.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Since you are currently on the HTC One Android version, your best phone to compare the two experiences would be the HTC One Windows version. This way, you'll get a good comparison on equal hardware.

GabrielStorm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Since you are currently on the HTC One Android version, your best phone to compare the two experiences would be the HTC One Windows version. This way, you'll get a good comparison on equal hardware.
the m8 for windows is not currently on at&t. it's due (rumor) on 07 Nov. 2014. same specs as the android unit and it keeps some of the htc stuff.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I tested a bit the 635 (I don't own it though), and the soft touch buttons turned into touch ones is pretty annoying for me.
With the soft touch buttons you have a feedback when you touch it, and they rest where they are, while the touch ones don't have a feedback when you touch them.
I don't get it, what's your point here? That the software buttons have a feedback while capacitive buttons don't? You can turn that feedback off in settings if that's your only gripe :wink:

Another thing are the tiles: while with the "old gen" (x2x) Lumias you can decide in the settings if you want 2 rows of tiles or 3, with the new series (x3x) you can't.
Wrong, with Windows Phone 8.1 you can freely choose between two and three columns of tiles on any given device (might be part of Cyan though, not sure). It used to be limited to the 5" or larger phones but they've definitely changed that.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Wrong, with Windows Phone 8.1 you can freely choose between two and three columns of tiles on any given device
Wrong, with the Lumia 1520 you have no choice, always 3 columns. Not sure why sentences start with "Wrong", but when in Rome....

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Wasn't aware of that, thank you. In that case I'd like to rephrase: with Windows Phone 8.1 you can freely choose between two or three columns of tiles on most devices.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Get a used Lumia 822 off Ebay for less than $100. It can be used on Verizon, ATT, and Tmobile, has a removable battery, and a SD slot. Front facing camera, 8 MP rear camera with flash. It's still a better phone than the 630 after 2 years.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, I used wp before, so I have a idea what's it's like. I'd just like a inexpensive option that's going to be good

What phone did you have on WP prior? that will help determine what people should recommend. You seem to want a higher end WP, how much are you willing to spend cash wise?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12