Quite disapponted with Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Coming from Android, which I've had for about 4 years, I figured it's time for a change.
I was really bored with Android, and since I own a Windows 8.1 tablet, I was really impressed with how fluid it was, especially considering it had low end hardware (TF810 with Atom processor, not RT).
I finally figured, if the mobile phone is half as good at surfing then I will be happy.

So I ordered a Lumia 1520. When the phone arrived, I was very impressed. It makes my Note 3 look like an ugly, budget phone.

First, I was disappointed to see that Cortana is not available in my region (Sweden). But fine, that's no biggie. It will eventually be here.
The next disappointment came when I saw the store.
Ok, I knew from the start that Windows Phone does not have a good app store. I figured it's fine, as most of the stuff on Android is junk, or fits the same role just different interface.
Well nope. Windows Store is terrible. I believe that there are more junk apps in Windows than Android.
Third disappointment is Microsoft keyboard. I used Swiftkey on Android and well... those guys know how to make a great keyboard. Microsoft copied Apple and I hate everything Apple!
Browsing is also pain in the ***. I don't go to mobile sites as my data is 10gb/month. And since my tablet (which is a Windows 8.1 touch device with worse specs) I figured this will behave equally good. Well damn it, it doesn't.

But not everything is negative. The phone feels and looks great. I do like transparent metro interface. It's very stylish.
But I can't stop feeling that a lot of potential is being wasted here. And well, I regret getting Windows Phone 8.1.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Third disappointment is Microsoft keyboard. I used Swiftkey on Android and well... those guys know how to make a great keyboard. Microsoft copied Apple and I hate everything Apple!
Browsing is also pain in the ***. I don't go to mobile sites as my data is 10gb/month. And since my tablet (which is a Windows 8.1 touch device with worse specs) I figured this will behave equally good. Well damn it, it doesn't.
Can you elaborate more? It seems like these are teasers and not much information to back it up. Like how is the keyboard a disappointment? What did Microsoft copy from the Apple? The keyboard? Why is browsing a pain?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
<sigh> getting so sick of these types of post. Take it back while you still can and stay with what you are use to. I had a junk xoom tablet and experienced the android store. Same junk apps, just a hell of alot more of them.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
You know, when I got my first "Phone to save me from my phone" I couldn't have been happier. The Surround was far from super powerful, but it was smooth and worked fantastic. Then came the bevy of WP7 devices that followed... Focus, Focus Flash, Titan, Radar, Lumia 900, Lumia 710, just a crap ton of really good phones. I was then sent a Lumia 810 to replace my aging Titan that was my daily driver...

Windows 8 was everything they said and more. It was, dare I say, perfect for the, "phone to save me from my phone" concept. It never crashed, it never had viruses or rogue apps. It never randomly dropped data or rebooted. It just worked when I wanted it to and it worked perfectly. Sure, I had some SD card issues here and there, but that was as much the card as it was the device.

Then 8.1 came out...
- Live tile colors were replaced by transparencies and different sizes...
- Tile functions were replaced by an "action center"...
- Apps that worked with 7, 7.5 and 8 no longer functioned with the new updates...
- The "Me Tile" no longer worked as you could only post to one network at a time...
- The ability to use Hubs has almost been removed - for example, the people hub is a shadow of what it used to be...
- Bing was replaced by Cortana, without telling us how to keep Bing...
- Xbox music and the Windows Phone desktop software is a disaster...
- Smaller tiles were now available so you could make a 4xX tile layout (much like every other OS out there)
- Most of all, it just isn't simple anymore.

After spending some time with Android 4.4.3, Windows Phone has moved backwards for the average person. Yes, the techophiles may love the changes, but to the entry level market and first time smartphone buyer, WP made up for Apps with simplicity - and that simplicity is now gone. I won't be leaving WP anytime soon, but have to say, it won't gain ground on the competition by becoming the competition.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Can you elaborate more? It seems like these are teasers and not much information to back it up. Like how is the keyboard a disappointment? What did Microsoft copy from the Apple? The keyboard? Why is browsing a pain?

Plenty of problems with the keyboard. First, it complicates too much. Swifkey would ler me just click on a word and it won't select the whole word, but between few letters. As I type in 3 languages, I often need to correct some words. Having to tap the word, then focus the exact part of the word I want to change is too tedious. Swiftkey was very precise on where I tapped. It's the same design on iPhone, which I unfortunately have to use for work. I don't know who copied who, but it's a terrible design.
Swiftkey predictions are also better by a MILE. You can even sync it with Facebook, email and your messages, and it will automatically learn your typing style. Heck, after a short time I didn't even have to switch languages. It was automatically choosing the right word, no matter what language it was set to and which one I was typing in.
In comparison, Microsoft keyboard is retarded. And as I've had a windows tablet for a while, I have not gotten used to it,and I probably never will.

About growing.
I was frustrated on Android as I have tried many browsers and they were all buggy and became slow after a while.
Then, pages like,YouTube were hard to access. Movies were almost impossible to play. I don't want a second mobile upp for YouTube.
But I was impressed with Internet Explorer on my tablet. It was fluid, easy to use and everything worked in desktop mode. It was the perfect touch browser.
This, mobile one - which I guess is not the same is terrible. Just as bad as android ones. It for some reason cuts off half the page of my favorite site. I don't know why, but it's like it doesn't exist. That teamed up with the terrible keyboard makes surfing the net a real bore job.

And to the guy who said that I'm not ready for Windows Phone.... I think it's the other way around.

rld082982

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Sounds to me you're nitpicking. Stop crying and expecting EVERY aspect of something to meet your idea of perfection. If Android was so perfect, I doubt you would of wanted to leave it.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I assume you've updated to 8.1 with Cyan firmware, right?

Keyboard gets better as you use it more. Predictive text improves as it learns (at least it does for me, but maybe it will be different using multiple languages). The way you move the cursor and select text absolutely takes time to get used to, and that is true any time you switch.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
The thing is, I don't understand why is Microsoft not letting us use 3rd party keyboards. I have used countless keyboards on Android (all popular and beyond), iPhone and Microsoft, and Swiftkey is by far the best. It just is. Most people who used it will agree.
I have hard time using Microsoft keyboard. It's just not good enough. It does look good though.

And IE. I don't understand why is it this buggy.

Other than missing Swiftkey and PowerAMP, the OS is great. I love the titles, the smoothness and the overall feel. Few questionable design decisions however kill it.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Why get a WP phone and expect the same stuff from the other OS? Learn to use WP (and all the idiosyncrasies) and forget the other OS... its not that hard...

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
It amazes me that the Android guys use swiftkey, I installed it when it came out for iOS but when I realized that it sends everything you type to the cloud, as well as asking for your gmail\ facebook credentials I uninstalled it. I guess when you're in the google ecosystem, you're kinda used to having no privacy.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I came over to Windows Phone this summer after breaking my Nexus and wanted a change. While I can sort of relate to your issue with the App store, I disagree with the keyboard. Firstly, Windows Phone 8.1 holds the official world record for the fastest keyboard on any smartphone in 2014. Secondly after using Android for years (stock) this is the first time I haven't wanted to use a 3rd party. I also too had major privacy issues with 3rd party clouds remembering all my typing.

Cortana is awesome, though I'm using the US version because the UK voice is boring and dull. But yes, the App store on Windows Phone is lacking from a Gaming perspective. Major popular titles on iOS & Android are missing. And like the Kindle store there are lots of fake stuff. Example, a popular Mobile game is Cookie Jam. This game is over a year old on iOS/Android yet not on Windows Phone unless you want the Unofficial game which has been on the top new Windows Phone games for weeks! I don't know if I find this hilarious or sad.

But I'm sticking with Windows Phone for now and planning on possibly upgrading to the 830 at Christmas although a better Flagship would be welcome.

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I left Android a few months back, been with them for 4 years. Thing is I knew before getting a Windows phone what to expect. The app store... Yea its sparse but I got all I need. And I gotta say that Windows phone keyboard is much better than SwiftKey bloat. I use a Nexus 4 for work and have ROMd it, had launchers, and keyboards. They all sucked. Its stock now and I only use it during work hours.

I guess this is all subjective.

Nebel

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
What does I matter if the keyboard is 0.5 seconds faster than the competition? I want functionality, not speed. Microsoft keyboard lacks in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro