11-21-2014 11:37 AM
60 123
tools
    Its basically what you outlined, Mike. Consolidating/managing the purchasing expense and managing the installation environment. Having to use a CC for one time purchases on multiple machines just is a horrible experience. And everyone is account weary.

Ideally, I would like to have a store that allows me an administrative account to make purchases either using a card number stored, or even better, using "credits" purchased via PO/etc through a reseller or direct from the store. From there, I would also like to see some type of say, a device token app that would let me associate and "see" my devices in my store account. Finally, assign an app to a device, ding my account, push (or pull from the device) the install, and Bob's your uncle.

Really, a very stripped down MDM approach with a way to utilize volume purchases.
    From what they mentioned of the "company store" I think that's very much their goal.
    10-16-2014 01:53 PM
    Yeah, hopefully so. I think a big key will be getting away from an account the end user needs the credentials of, towards a device token that IT is in charge of and is transparent to the end user. We don't use any shared devices, so to account for that use there would need to be a device token/user ID pair I suppose.

If they can hit that, coupled with centralized purchasing, or maintaining store credits through PO/AP type purchasing methods - they would have something.
    10-16-2014 02:14 PM
    Yeah, hopefully so. I think a big key will be getting away from an account the end user needs the credentials of, towards a device token that IT is in charge of and is transparent to the end user. We don't use any shared devices, so to account for that use there would need to be a device token/user ID pair I suppose.

If they can hit that, coupled with centralized purchasing, or maintaining store credits through PO/AP type purchasing methods - they would have something.
    How should they handle program settings across devices for your users? WinRT (not WinPRT) has a "roaming" files capability (for small files) across devices. I assume that's maintained through some sort of cloud system. Is such a thing acceptable to enterprise customers knowing that potentially secret corporate data might flow across the internet? I ask because I'm trying to come up with some sort of roaming settings system for my Win32 programs so that users can transition from one device to another (relatively) seamlessly. My government customers have this already due to the built-in registry and file roaming in Windows Server (I think through AD; I don't know much about it other than it works). So, a user can login to one PC and then another and the settings xfer across.

To make that available to my non-corporate users would require storing settings and config files in their OneDrive directory (or other cross-device synchronization system) and hope they don't switch devices too quickly. I don't know the sync rate in OneDrive but it definitely isn't instantaneous.
    10-16-2014 03:21 PM
    Its a good question, and I could duck it by going strictly with my own situation in that we don't roam profiles or share devices so I don't care - but that wouldn't further the discussion. Our environment is almost exclusively offsite hosted web apps, so our portability is contained within the hosted web app itself for the most part. We have a retired legacy client/server Win32 system, but its user settings are contained in its database.

I don't have a lot of time as its the end of the day, so I'll post more later. Yeah, traditional Windows desktop files and settings can "roam" across desktops using roaming profiles where Windows and AD stores certain parts of the user's profile in a central network storage location.

We are going to be migrating to O365 during the coming year, so we will end up with Microsoft Accounts more or less. There is a single sign on protocol to link the Microsoft Account with the user's local ActiveDirectory account which will be good as I have users that sometimes don't seem to remember their own names, let alone any account logins.

I suppose Microsoft syncs Win8/WP8 through OneDrive and the user's Microsoft Account? Or do they utilize some double secret storage location - I don't know....
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-16-2014 04:37 PM
    How should they handle program settings across devices for your users? WinRT (not WinPRT) has a "roaming" files capability (for small files) across devices. I assume that's maintained through some sort of cloud system. Is such a thing acceptable to enterprise customers knowing that potentially secret corporate data might flow across the internet? I ask because I'm trying to come up with some sort of roaming settings system for my Win32 programs so that users can transition from one device to another (relatively) seamlessly. My government customers have this already due to the built-in registry and file roaming in Windows Server (I think through AD; I don't know much about it other than it works). So, a user can login to one PC and then another and the settings xfer across.

To make that available to my non-corporate users would require storing settings and config files in their OneDrive directory (or other cross-device synchronization system) and hope they don't switch devices too quickly. I don't know the sync rate in OneDrive but it definitely isn't instantaneous.
    I'd imagine they'd handle it all through the domain. That's how most enterprises handle cross device user account synchronization. Don't see why that same technique wouldn't apply here. Microsoft already has all of this set up, they just need to extend the reach to apply to the Windows Store Apps and permissions.

The thing they need to do is make better layering of permissions. Right now you are basically an Admin, or not an Admin. As a result, any user that needs even the most basic control (like installing fonts) basically has to be given full admin access. At least that's how we have it work, and I believe it's a limitation of Windows, not our domain set up.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-16-2014 06:42 PM
    Thanks for the answers. I'll have to think about this some more. It's not an easy problem to solve since I have such a wide range of users.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-16-2014 11:22 PM
    Folks Windows phone 10 will get good new features to bring it up to par with Apple and android smart phones but the most daring thing it will get is the NEW "Universal Apps" for Microsoft Mobile and non mobile devices. it will look the same feel much the same except the new functions Windows 10 smart phones will get will make it a better Product. Universal Apps technology will help developers put their apps on more MS OS devices to help them make more MONEY
    10-21-2014 06:06 AM
    Universal Apps technology will help developers put their apps on more MS OS devices to help them make more MONEY
    Universal apps don't make sense in the Windows world. There's zero demand for Windows Phone apps and the Desktop is already covered by the far-more-powerful Win32 API.

Universal apps would make more sense in the iOS or Android world because those platforms have a large existing mobile userbase that needs to be brought up to the Desktop. I don't know why AAPL and GOOG haven't exploited this huge opportunity to expand their market reach (especially AAPL, since they make a ton of profit on each Mac sale).

What would make sense, imho, is for MSFT to expand Visual Studio to support creating iOS and Android apps, like Xamarin but better and cheaper. That way ISVs could target the large iOS and Android userbases and with (hopefully) minimal effort also produce Windows Phone apps.
    10-21-2014 10:36 AM
    To zombie this thread.....Re: Enterprises and app stores.

This looks very promising! I'll have much more time in my schedule after the new year to dig into Win10.

http://www.windowscentral.com/window...tal-businesses
    11-20-2014 01:29 PM
    While I don't consider this a disaster, it is pretty sad that they can't release a phone across all carriers, or at least all of the major ones. If the Icon wasn't a Verizon exclusive, there would be less problems right now. The Lumia 830 should have been released everywhere by now, across all US carriers.
    As far as releasing a phone across that requires the cooperation of all major carriers. Verizon seems to continue to have a less than enthusiastic embrace on Windows Phone, Sprint's not embracing WP either and TMO doesn't seem any more enthusiastic than Verizon. So there's problems with both ends of the equation for a 4 carrier at the same time rollout of WP devices. I too would like to see it maybe Microsoft needs to be more assertive like Apple or Samsung. They certainly have market clout as to #2 size company in the world (as a whole company). Maybe they still feel they have to tread lightly as a carryover from the anti trust windows OS kerfuffle from a decade or so ago. .
    11-21-2014 11:37 AM
60 123