10-27-2014 01:26 PM
77 1234
tools
    Microsoft has a giant pile of money. Regardless of the carriers current behavior, money can fix pretty much anything. But MS has not yet invested the big bucks they will need to in order to solve their carrier problem.
    LOL. Agreed. The overall goal is to make more money, but they can't do that if they aren't willing to spend it. More promotions similar to "Smoked by Windows Phone;" offering more incentives to salesmen for pushing a certain number of WP units in a given month (much like car dealerships); letting developers get 100% of app sales for a time frame, etc.

If you're giving out "free samples," more people get to "taste" your OS. Sure, you lose out on money with those samples, but if they like it, they'll tell their friends about it and probably buy a new one in 2 years. Next thing you know WP is at 7% or 8% market share and rising.
    10-18-2014 03:23 PM
    Could you be anymore disrespectful? Have some class.
    FWIW, the letter is indeed poorly written. If someone writes a letter to a company, it had better be professionally written if he wishes to be taken seriously. If the writer can't do it himself, he should have someone else edit it. The problem is that a lot of people who cannot write properly don't even know that their writing needs editing.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    10-18-2014 04:39 PM
    Man, I buggered that. I meant that pre-purchase of Nokia by MS, that all the contracts were between NOKIA and the carriers.
    10-18-2014 05:34 PM
    Any cult. Could be Apple eaters, veganism, Linux, or, oh heck, Microsoftism. I have a masters degree in theology (I'm sure you are impressed!) and believe me, I know cultism or religion, even if secular, when I see it.
    10-18-2014 05:38 PM
    @techiez: Wow, what a great idea, that Nokia flash of oh so long ago! I spent years seeing it as my Nokia 9290's would boot. I thought it said it all; reach out, touch someone. Oh, wait, I think the old Bell companies used to say that. A great 20th century rendition of Michaelangelo's Cistine Chapel ceiling, God reaching to Adam. Do you have a decent jpg of that? I promise to not use it for any avatars on any forums. Thanks!
    10-18-2014 05:42 PM
    @techiez: Wow, what a great idea, that Nokia flash of oh so long ago! I spent years seeing it as my Nokia 9290's would boot. I thought it said it all; reach out, touch someone. Oh, wait, I think the old Bell companies used to say that. A great 20th century rendition of Michaelangelo's Cistine Chapel ceiling, God reaching to Adam. Do you have a decent jpg of that? I promise to not use it for any avatars on any forums. Thanks!

Is it this image?
    10-18-2014 05:57 PM
    Any cult. Could be Apple eaters, veganism, Linux, or, oh heck, Microsoftism. I have a masters degree in theology (I'm sure you are impressed!) and believe me, I know cultism or religion, even if secular, when I see it.
    csqxjcr.jpg
    10-19-2014 07:20 AM
    FWIW, the letter is indeed poorly written. If someone writes a letter to a company, it had better be professionally written if he wishes to be taken seriously. If the writer can't do it himself, he should have someone else edit it. The problem is that a lot of people who cannot write properly don't even know that their writing needs editing.
    Amen.

I don't know what they're teaching in schools these days but I've read posts from so-called teachers that make me cringe. Makes me want to loose my mind. Saw what I did there?
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    10-19-2014 10:13 PM
    Makes me want to loose my mind. Saw what I did there?
    You're really playing fast and lose with that comment.
    10-20-2014 10:43 AM
    It would cost them a bit but this sounds like a good idea..
    10-21-2014 06:02 AM
    I am impressed. A person with your obvious education would spend money and time to study something that others before us have decreed to be the right way of doing things without the benefit of any debate. I'll give you a tip, for free. You can learn more about life and God's mercy by talking to a homeless person. They have nothing but faith to go by, therefore their views are unfettered by any ties to modern society.
    tgp, a5cent and Bodeanicus like this.
    10-21-2014 02:06 PM
    Yes. How do I get it as a gif or jpg?
    10-24-2014 07:03 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CsqXjcr.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	85088
    Wonderful! How true!

Honestly, I have a lot of respect for Apple products, presuming one can afford them. But most of those kneeling in front of Job's fly have no idea that Jobs STOLE many ideas and protocols, repackaged them, and told the world they were new. I can, but won't, list the long, um, list of them.
    10-24-2014 07:06 PM
    Yes. How do I get it as a gif or jpg?

Here you go.
    10-24-2014 07:07 PM
    I am impressed. A person with your obvious education would spend money and time to study something that others before us have decreed to be the right way of doing things without the benefit of any debate. I'll give you a tip, for free. You can learn more about life and God's mercy by talking to a homeless person. They have nothing but faith to go by, therefore their views are unfettered by any ties to modern society.
    Please look up, "non sequitur." And please don't talk to me about charitable acts. As your Jesus admonished, I don't pray in public. Figuratively speaking, since I'm an atheist.
    10-24-2014 07:09 PM
    Thank you so much!
    10-24-2014 07:10 PM
    Please look up, "non sequitur." And please don't talk to me about charitable acts. As your Jesus admonished, I don't pray in public. Figuratively speaking, since I'm an atheist.
    Your reply reminds me of the play that made Jim Marshall of the Minnesota Vikings famous.
    10-25-2014 05:44 PM
    But most of those kneeling in front of Job's fly have no idea that Jobs STOLE many ideas and protocols, repackaged them, and told the world they were new. I can, but won't, list the long, um, list of them.
    Maybe, but Apple is a master at taking those ideas and making them usable. That's worth a lot.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    10-25-2014 06:17 PM
    Maybe, but Apple is a master at taking those ideas and making them usable. That's worth a lot.

And that's Apple's magic: take an existing idea and making it as useful and appealing as possible. Microsoft could learn a lot from Apple, instead of banking on their past dominance. Make it better than the competition, don't copy them.
    tgp likes this.
    10-25-2014 09:49 PM

In some cases, not many. Many of the tomes those ideas were already out there and useful from higher end windows OEMs, but most consumers only look at dell, hp ,Asus, ect. With apple they only have higher end price products so having those features sticks out more. For some reason consumers will shell out for am apple laptop but when considering windows will spend half the money or less and wonder why their computer isn't as good or useful....Well duh! Just think of most consumers with windows tablet PCs..Wow look at this new tech! Well no fujitsus had them for over ten years just the commen consumer buying 400-500 dells or hp's just wasn't aware of that.
    10-25-2014 09:59 PM
    In some cases, not many. Many of the tomes those ideas were already out there and useful from higher end windows OEMs, but most consumers only look at dell, hp ,Asus, ect. With apple they only have higher end price products so having those features sticks out more. For some reason consumers will shell out for am apple laptop but when considering windows will spend half the money or less and wonder why their computer isn't as good or useful....Well duh! Just think of most consumers with windows tablet PCs..Wow look at this new tech! Well no fujitsus had them for over ten years just the commen consumer buying 400-500 dells or hp's just wasn't aware of that.

First of all, none of those things were particularly popular before Apple did them right. MP3 players that were junk, "smart" phones that were basically email machines, and heavy tablets you had to use a stylus with and that 3 hours battery life. Yep, all hits. Hugely successful.

Secondly, your opinion of what others spend their money on is meaningless, and frankly, makes you seem envious. No one cares what you think about their choices.

Whatever you need to tell yourself, bud.
    10-26-2014 04:41 PM
    I blame Microsoft for giving carriers the only way for a user to upgrade software and firmware updates.

If you're on Verizon and have an Icon you'll understand.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    10-26-2014 05:03 PM
    I blame Microsoft for giving carriers the only way for a user to upgrade software and firmware updates.

Or a 822, or a 928...
    10-26-2014 05:07 PM

Since the carriers don't put a gun to anyone's head and there are plenty of factory unlocked phones that work on US carriers, I blame the people who use carrier locked phones and thus perpetuate that dysfunctional situation.
    10-27-2014 10:53 AM
    Since the carriers don't put a gun to anyone's head and there are plenty of factory unlocked phones that work on US carriers, I blame the people who use carrier locked phones and thus perpetuate that dysfunctional situation.
    Except for Verizon (and Sprint). The only fault here would be choosing Verizon in the first place, but because they have the overall the best coverage in the US, for some users there's little choice.
    10-27-2014 11:16 AM
77 1234