Blaming Microsoft: Is it entirely fair?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Any cult. Could be Apple eaters, veganism, Linux, or, oh heck, Microsoftism. I have a masters degree in theology (I'm sure you are impressed!) and believe me, I know cultism or religion, even if secular, when I see it.

I am impressed. A person with your obvious education would spend money and time to study something that others before us have decreed to be the right way of doing things without the benefit of any debate. I'll give you a tip, for free. You can learn more about life and God's mercy by talking to a homeless person. They have nothing but faith to go by, therefore their views are unfettered by any ties to modern society.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes. How do I get it as a gif or jpg?

Here you go.
8c2ace7bd4369ea7da3a7560bb5ec2e7.jpg

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I am impressed. A person with your obvious education would spend money and time to study something that others before us have decreed to be the right way of doing things without the benefit of any debate. I'll give you a tip, for free. You can learn more about life and God's mercy by talking to a homeless person. They have nothing but faith to go by, therefore their views are unfettered by any ties to modern society.

Please look up, "non sequitur." And please don't talk to me about charitable acts. As your Jesus admonished, I don't pray in public. Figuratively speaking, since I'm an atheist.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Please look up, "non sequitur." And please don't talk to me about charitable acts. As your Jesus admonished, I don't pray in public. Figuratively speaking, since I'm an atheist.

Your reply reminds me of the play that made Jim Marshall of the Minnesota Vikings famous.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But most of those kneeling in front of Job's fly have no idea that Jobs STOLE many ideas and protocols, repackaged them, and told the world they were new. I can, but won't, list the long, um, list of them.

Maybe, but Apple is a master at taking those ideas and making them usable. That's worth a lot.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Maybe, but Apple is a master at taking those ideas and making them usable. That's worth a lot.

And that's Apple's magic: take an existing idea and making it as useful and appealing as possible. Microsoft could learn a lot from Apple, instead of banking on their past dominance. Make it better than the competition, don't copy them.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

In some cases, not many. Many of the tomes those ideas were already out there and useful from higher end windows OEMs, but most consumers only look at dell, hp ,Asus, ect. With apple they only have higher end price products so having those features sticks out more. For some reason consumers will shell out for am apple laptop but when considering windows will spend half the money or less and wonder why their computer isn't as good or useful....Well duh! Just think of most consumers with windows tablet PCs..Wow look at this new tech! Well no fujitsus had them for over ten years just the commen consumer buying 400-500 dells or hp's just wasn't aware of that.

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
In some cases, not many. Many of the tomes those ideas were already out there and useful from higher end windows OEMs, but most consumers only look at dell, hp ,Asus, ect. With apple they only have higher end price products so having those features sticks out more. For some reason consumers will shell out for am apple laptop but when considering windows will spend half the money or less and wonder why their computer isn't as good or useful....Well duh! Just think of most consumers with windows tablet PCs..Wow look at this new tech! Well no fujitsus had them for over ten years just the commen consumer buying 400-500 dells or hp's just wasn't aware of that.

First of all, none of those things were particularly popular before Apple did them right. MP3 players that were junk, "smart" phones that were basically email machines, and heavy tablets you had to use a stylus with and that 3 hours battery life. Yep, all hits. Hugely successful.

Secondly, your opinion of what others spend their money on is meaningless, and frankly, makes you seem envious. No one cares what you think about their choices.

Whatever you need to tell yourself, bud.

The Bill Payer

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I blame Microsoft for giving carriers the only way for a user to upgrade software and firmware updates.

If you're on Verizon and have an Icon you'll understand.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I blame Microsoft for giving carriers the only way for a user to upgrade software and firmware updates.

If you're on Verizon and have an Icon you'll understand.
Since the carriers don't put a gun to anyone's head and there are plenty of factory unlocked phones that work on US carriers, I blame the people who use carrier locked phones and thus perpetuate that dysfunctional situation.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Since the carriers don't put a gun to anyone's head and there are plenty of factory unlocked phones that work on US carriers, I blame the people who use carrier locked phones and thus perpetuate that dysfunctional situation.

Except for Verizon (and Sprint). The only fault here would be choosing Verizon in the first place, but because they have the overall the best coverage in the US, for some users there's little choice.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Except for Verizon (and Sprint). The only fault here would be choosing Verizon in the first place, but because they have the overall the best coverage in the US, for some users there's little choice.
Absolutely. I didn't want to name names.

But the fact remains that carriers only do business in ways the customers will put up with. If a customer chooses a carrier it is because they (often incorrectly) think that choice is what's best for them. As such, they are only experiencing the down sides as well as the good sides because of their choice. Blaming MS for letting carriers do something makes about as much sense as complaining to your in-laws for passing blonde genes to your spouse when you prefer red heads.

The carriers are there to make money. If customers want them to behave differently, enough of them have to spend their money elsewhere. I understand not having the will to do anything but they shouldn't whine about what others (including MS) haven't done.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely. I didn't want to name names.

But the fact remains that carriers only do business in ways the customers will put up with. If a customer chooses a carrier it is because they (often incorrectly) think that choice is what's best for them. As such, they are only experiencing the down sides as well as the good sides because of their choice. Blaming MS for letting carriers do something makes about as much sense as complaining to your in-laws for passing blonde genes to your spouse when you prefer red heads.

The carriers are there to make money. If customers want them to behave differently, enough of them have to spend their money elsewhere. I understand not having the will to do anything but they shouldn't whine about what others (including MS) haven't done.

I went to upstate New York this spring and my phone was on Verizon and it never missed a beat. My wife's phone at the time was on T-Mobile and she had no service except in Buffalo. Zip in Syracuse, Ithaca or Watkins Glen. Coverage is the first, most important decision when selecting a device otherwise, it's just a pretty expensive paperweight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte