Best way to set up phone as a wifi device for kid?

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hope this is a good place to ask this. I got my daughter a Nokia 520 since they were cheap to use as a wifi only device. I'm not sure how to go about setting it up for her though. Would it be best to just use my account and set up Kids Corner on it? or Apps Corner? Would there be any limitations to going this route? She will want to use the camera and I think that will still work.

I can make her an account as well if that would be better. Would there be any problems using a Kids account on a phone though? I haven't tried it but I thought there might be some issues with accessing all aspects of some apps with a kids account. Like uploading pictures to onedrive for example. Thanks

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Kids corner locks them to what you set up for them ! you could also set up the feature wallet to stop them from emptying your bank account. Its easy to set up and really a 4 pin sign in feature. You can have more than 1 phone on 1 account or separately if you need. Only matter of setting up with different MS email account. You could top this up with vouchers.

Last edited:

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I'll probably go that route to start with at least. Also, I'm sure if I fullly understand what the difference between Kids Corner and App Corner is. Does App Corner enable more features that what is available in Kids Corner? I don't have 8.1 on my phone yet so haven't been able to play with it.

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
App corner is more locked down. What you put in it is all they can do ! were kids corner will let them use more features and share music, apps, videos and games along with there own start screen, while still being locked down.

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Have you done this yet? I would like to do the same. I want to get my younger son a phone, but not connect it to the cellular network. They have Wi-Fi at school and we have it at home, plus most places we go. I figure he can get in touch with me through Skype, or whatever chat app he wants to use. Can I do this? For $50, this seems like a great option without the cellular bill. Anyone done this? How does it work? Still get OS updates? Developer Preview? How about firmware updates? Unlocked phone?

JJ Luoto

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Just go wifi only, no issues. Naturally limitted places where device can be used but under wifi u can do all what is needed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa