12-12-2014 10:19 AM
162 1234 ...
tools
    Do you honest think that the holiday shopping season would help Microsoft sell more phones? Nothing can, the moronic consumers have spoken, all they care about is ios/android. Even if WP is better.... it doesn't matter
    prasath1234 likes this.
    10-23-2014 12:42 PM
    I'd love to get a premium WP right now as I'm ending my 920 contract next month. Nevertheless, my phone still works fine and I am paying the unsubsidized rate on AT&T ($15 vs. $40) so I'm not so impatient that I don't like saving some money until next spring. Like anyone, I fault MS for missing the holiday season but I'd rather that they take some extra time to release a true flagship that is well-received by consumers. We'll see soon if they can pull it off.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    10-23-2014 12:45 PM
    When the guy at Alcatel says the future of Windows Phone is the low end market he doesn't mean there shouldn't be any high end phones. What he means is the low end market is what will get a high adoption rate for the platform. Once there is a larger core market share all these new (and us current users) are gonna want to move up to better phones when they have enough faith in it to commit their hard earned money to. It's a strategy Android have been successfully using. Their core consumers are low end handset users. They barely break even if at all on premium handsets. Look at Samsung!
    10-23-2014 12:52 PM
    This is terrible news for anyone.
    How? It's about survival, now. The only major carrier that shows Windows Phone ANY kind of respect is ATT, and that isn't saying much. They need to focus on the prepaid market to gain marketshare. THEN, if they gain over 10% marketshare, start worrying about the high end for spec nerds. You people don't seem to realize that if things don't pick up for Windows Phone rather quickly, Microsoft WILL pull the plug on the whole thing. Remember the Zune and the Kin?
    10-23-2014 02:19 PM
    wp.....omg were to start.....sure the os is smooth......lack of phone selection, ridiculously locked to carriers......least amount of apps and the apps we do have , have maybe half the IOS and android features, or are and always be in beta ! Wow so all ms needs to actually be near perfect is, new phones, more apps and better app quality wow, for such a big company ..this seems impossible for them!
    As a developer I think most of the apps are limited because of MS' desire to keep malware to a minimum. The phone api's (of which there are 2) are fairly young and very limited. MS' is not allowing access to system functions and that's why the feature parity is not there. I understand why MS is doing what they are doing (protecting users data/phones) but I also feel that there is much more work to be done. They want to avoid malware/bad developers adding processes that bog the system down (android). Adding the permission dialogs is a step but when something goes wrong people (rarely) place the blame where it belongs...instead you get 'Windows/Microsoft sucks!' when MS had nothing to do with the app. There's a middle ground...MS just hasn't gotten there yet...but they better hurry.
    dov1978 and STXVI like this.
    10-23-2014 03:02 PM
    Some posts here make me giggle! In your eyes..what would you class as flag-shippy? More ram?better screen?..the 930 plus all the others look good to me.We can only use one phone at a time, I remember before the stupid phone started I have my 3310 for 2yrs (loved dat phone) everyone's impatient and they all want the perfect best of the best phone NOW or god help em.
    Goodnight
    MikeSo and theefman like this.
    10-23-2014 03:13 PM
    I think MS knows that it can't compete in the US yet, against the iPhone. To prevent financial failure, they then opted to go for the low end market, since there is no competition there. I'd buy a 1020 now, but I'm concerned with the upgrade shelf life and I don't want to pay 550 for a 2 year old device.
    10-23-2014 03:21 PM
    Hardware wise the Icon/930 and the 1520 are plenty deserving of the high-end level. They might be old by modern standards but they are fine.
    10-23-2014 03:25 PM
    Is it possible that the 1820 will be out around Christmas time?
    10-23-2014 03:25 PM
    True, but most (lower income) people only think about how much am I paying NOW? How much money do I have to give you to get this in my pocket NOW? These are the mostly the same people living paycheck to paycheck and simply have never been taught how to budget/save or have no idea about how much a phone actually costs. These people don't have 300-600 to drop on a phone. That said, I do believe that MS is making the correct steps. The US basically belongs to Android and Apple. Why not go to where you may a have a chance on getting a foot hold? MS' history is in the low end of the market, guess they're going back to their roots. Do I want a premium windows phone? As an owner of a 8x that's still on Tmobile, absolutely. But knowing that the best selling windows phone was the 52x line says a lot.
    Microsoft bought Nokia, which as a brand is worth slightly more than zero in the US, where they might as well have not even existed for years before the Lumia 900. And then they rebrand it and get rid of the Nokia name.... Losing the value the brand still had outside the US. It'll be interesting to see if even the low end segment of the market can be theirs with decisions like that.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    10-23-2014 03:36 PM
    Here is the article about the comments from the president of Alcatel about there being no market for high end MS phones and all the opportunity being on the low end.

The future of Windows Phone? At the low end, says Alcatel | Technology | theguardian.com
    The future of Alcatel maybe. I had no idea they even existed.
    10-23-2014 03:37 PM
    Is it possible that the 1820 will be out around Christmas time?
    The what? Isn't that the device that less discernible sites claimed would be released last winter, and that there is no trace of anywhere?
    10-23-2014 03:40 PM
    Microsoft bought Nokia, which as a brand is worth slightly more than zero in the US, where they might as well have not even existed for years before the Lumia 900. And then they rebrand it and get rid of the Nokia name.... Losing the value the brand still had outside the US. It'll be interesting to see if even the low end segment of the market can be theirs with decisions like that.
    No, Microsoft did NOT buy Nokia. They bought PART of Nokia, but Nokia itself is still a separate company. That company allowed Microsoft to license its name for a limited period of time. Microsoft must stop using the name at the end of that time, so they're working to a plan to replace the brand. Short of pursuing a hostile takeover of the rest of Nokia or making an offer that Nokia can't refuse, it's something they have to do.
    10-23-2014 03:45 PM
    Personally I think the 930/1520 are fairly high end. True they aren't sporting 805 processors, but I don't think the 805 is much of an upgrade. Currently the 800 is "good enough for now". The nice thing about the low end phones is that you can buy them off contract and as a result get a discount on some carriers (such as AT&T) or not pay extra to pay for the phone (T-Mobile). I think even Verizon has something like that now. For your average McDonalds employee this is more realistic with a $50 520 than a $500 1520.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    10-23-2014 04:03 PM
    Personally I think the 930/1520 are fairly high end. True they aren't sporting 805 processors, but I don't think the 805 is much of an upgrade. Currently the 800 is "good enough for now".
    I agree, I don't think Microsoft needs to beef up the specs too much, the problem is that the 1520 is beyond the CONSUMERS acceptable timetable. It should have been refreshed by now. The U.S. consumer market has an insatiable appetite for something NEW and expects something yearly. However, it is clear to me the handset would benefit from Gorilla Glass 3 and perhaps a small tweak in the footprint of the phone as well as an 801 processor. Microsoft is missing the "trade cycle" and because of that they are never in the news and the platform continues to pump out "mid range" or "low end" phones. When you do that enough it sticks.
    steve_w_7 and chezm like this.
    10-23-2014 04:09 PM
    Do you honest think that the holiday shopping season would help Microsoft sell more phones? Nothing can, the moronic consumers have spoken, all they care about is ios/android. Even if WP is better.... it doesn't matter
    While I would like a premium phone at Christmas it wouldn't do any good in the U.S. How many kids are going to open a package and be happy to have a WP in the box? MS needs to play the long game. It would seem Windows 10 is that game. If they are going to win back mind share/cool factor it will be the connection between desktop OS and Tablet/Phone OS and universal apps.
    10-23-2014 04:14 PM
    No, Microsoft did NOT buy Nokia. They bought PART of Nokia, but Nokia itself is still a separate company. That company allowed Microsoft to license its name for a limited period of time. Microsoft must stop using the name at the end of that time, so they're working to a plan to replace the brand. Short of pursuing a hostile takeover of the rest of Nokia or making an offer that Nokia can't refuse, it's something they have to do.
    I know all that, just didn't feel like there was a need to detail it. Microsoft has the right to use the Nokia name for another 10 YEARS if they want to. They certainly didn't have to ditch it this year.
    10-23-2014 04:17 PM
    As someone else alluded to, what do you want flagship specs for? Just so you KNOW you have more RAM or a faster CPU? How many flagship features are we seeing on other flagship devices, maybe the odd one or two here and there but overall there are no features that would make all these sky high specs actually worth it. I'm pretty sure by the time denim hits the 930 & 1520 will have most of the functionality of today's top flagships and even a few exclusives, people are just blinded by the specs and can't see all these specs are literally being wasted in current devices.
    Bodeanicus, a5cent and prasath1234 like this.
    10-23-2014 04:17 PM
    ....before they rush out another sub par flagship.
    It doesn't matter if the flagship isn't subpar. It doesn't matter if it blows everything else out of the water. Until the three things below are addressed, sales will be stagnant.
    1) Carrier exclusivity - Stop doing it. We understand the business reasons but it's not working.
    2) Address salesperson biased against WP. People who even want to buy a WP and give them a sale are turned toward another platform.
    3) Advertise, and I mean advertise smartly, not typical MS derp ads that have no substance.
    MikeSo, steve_w_7, MikeX74 and 1 others like this.
    10-23-2014 04:22 PM
    It doesn't matter if the flagship isn't subpar. It doesn't matter if it blows everything else out of the water. Until the three things below are addressed, sales will be stagnant.
    1) Carrier exclusivity - Stop doing it. We understand the business reasons but it's not working.
    2) Address salesperson biased against WP. People who even want to buy a WP and give them a sale are turned toward another platform.
    3) Advertise, and I mean advertise smartly, not typical MS derp ads that have no substance.
    Yeah, without phones in the stores where people buy them, they could have a Xeon-based 3D phone with 100 hours of battery life, it doesn't matter. You go in to any store except AT&T corporate stores and in 90 out of a 100 you won't find WP, and certainly nobody promoting them. Until they address that, nothing matters.

They might as well stop caring about the carriers at all and sell everything online at microsoftstore.com or amazon.com. I'm not sure there would be much difference in sales numbers.
    Bodeanicus and anon(7937399) like this.
    10-23-2014 04:25 PM
    If Lumia 930 had glance screen, it would be my first and only choice, and flagship by all means.
    10-23-2014 04:26 PM
    This is terrible news for anyone.
    but its the truth in most respects, its become quite clear Microsoft would rather attempt to capture the low-mid range markets in everywhere other than North America where apparently they're not doing too badly.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    10-23-2014 04:30 PM
    I'm thinking Microsoft will release their flagship phones during the first half of the year, so they won't have to compete with Iphone and Samsung releases. You could say they are late or you could say they are early depending how you look at it. They could, however, always "one-up" everybody else by releasing their phones at a different time of year. Coincidentally, Windows 10 will be coming out around that time. And, the Qualcomm 808/810 should be coming out next year some time. Combining all that together would be a true flagship.
    10-23-2014 04:36 PM
    Ohhh god another thread complaining about another flagship device. Please stop making new threads about this for all that's good and holy. Use one of the 50 other threads. A new device isn't coming till next year and looks like around win 10 release so get over it!
    10-23-2014 04:38 PM
    This is arguably the biggest obstacle in the U.S. I have literally had to raise my voice in order to get the phone I want. My wife went in for her Lumia 928 on launch day and said she had been waiting for it and they tried to talk her out of it. When I went with a friend to get her Icon (which she loves, by the way) the lady who was checking people in told her in a snotty, your not cool high school girl kind of way "You know we don't sell a lot of those". I asked her what that had to do anything and that we came to get something we didn't need her commentary on it.

I don't know how you bust that bias. Offer commission for selling WP? Give premium WP's to the salespeople along with a $100 app credit? I don't know what you do but I know someone who used my phone (L928), loved it, decided to get an Icon and came home with a S4 because the person at Verizon talked her out of getting the phone she wanted. She is currently very unhappy with her S4.
    Bodeanicus, jlzimmerman and a5cent like this.
    10-23-2014 04:40 PM
162 1234 ...