My oh My where are the Premium Windows phones? Missing the Holiday season is a disaster

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The Icon may have been discontinued, but not the 930 which is nearly identical. I suspect you can probably get it to work on AT&T or something. I've gone the 1520.3 route myself. I don't have service yet, but I plan on going to AT&T today to switch. I already love the phone. for the first time since my old 3.5" HTC Arrive I can actually type without fat fingering. That tells you how awesome physical keyboards are over on screen keyboards. Its an awesome phone and I noticed that even websites actually feel useful. Never really liked tiny mobile web on the Icon. Its amazing how much better 1" more makes.

true there are three premium devices, but they are three odd devices to have as your premium devices. one is a phablet. and if i'm not mistaken, it's the biggest phablet on the market.

the htc option is also a android phone, so you're essentially making folks choose one os or another. that puts windows phone at a disadvantage. the stronger position is to win people over w/ both software and hardware.

the lumia icon was recently discontinued at verizon so that's not really even an option anymore. if you want that phone, then you're subject to "while supplies last" situation.

imo, all three options are weak options given the windows phone lineup. i think microsoft should be attacking the phone market from both ends by producing flagship and low cost phones and getting them on every major carrier. make choosing a windows phone that much easier for anyone on any carrier. i'm actually a big fan of windows phone, but i'm thinking of switching to someting else because i'm on att and don't want the m8 or the huge 1520, and i'm really ready to replace my 920 w/ another flagship. maybe i'll get the 830, but that's not an upgrade really. i could jump to verizon for an icon if one is available in a local store, my att plan on verizon would cost me more money. ....so android is looking very tempting at the moment.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
true there are three premium devices, but they are three odd devices to have as your premium devices. one is a phablet. and if i'm not mistaken, it's the biggest phablet on the market.

the htc option is also a android phone, so you're essentially making folks choose one os or another. that puts windows phone at a disadvantage. the stronger position is to win people over w/ both software and hardware.

the lumia icon was recently discontinued at verizon so that's not really even an option anymore. if you want that phone, then you're subject to "while supplies last" situation.

imo, all three options are weak options given the windows phone lineup. i think microsoft should be attacking the phone market from both ends by producing flagship and low cost phones and getting them on every major carrier. make choosing a windows phone that much easier for anyone on any carrier. i'm actually a big fan of windows phone, but i'm thinking of switching to someting else because i'm on att and don't want the m8 or the huge 1520, and i'm really ready to replace my 920 w/ another flagship. maybe i'll get the 830, but that's not an upgrade really. i could jump to verizon for an icon if one is available in a local store, my att plan on verizon would cost me more money. ....so android is looking very tempting at the moment.

Well you are welcome to your opinion but that doesn't change the facts. There are three premium WP currently available.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
HTC One (M8) is still held as the flagship, HTC hasn't put out a new one yet?
The Icon came out in February this year, no?

etc etc, so what it isn't bleeding edge? They're still pretty darn powerful.

They don't p00p out phones every six months...

windows94

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Meh. I have a 635 (and a 521 as a backup) and love it. I have had flagships and low cost phones. I have had 5 IOS devices, over 20 android devices, and 8 WP devices. WP is the most fluid no matter the specs. (though IOS isn't bad if the phone is less than a year old). You don't NEED a flagship device. And if you REALLY want one. What's wrong with the 1520? Or the 830? What about the 930 or icon? What about the m8???

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who wants to buy a new phone every holiday season will be constantly switching brands/ carriers or be very disappointed.

Unless you are buying Samsung or Apple, which seem to pull it off quite easily every year to positive results. Really not...that hard.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are buying Samsung or Apple, which seem to pull it off quite easily every year to positive results. Really not...that hard.

I'm talking about windows phone. If you want to include Apple and Samsung I can add "or are dumb enough to be tricked into buying the same phone every year".

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
If MS doesn't act soon, will never attract new customers and many longtime ones like me will leave. The software is great, but US consumers demand new hardware. This business model is horrible and the results (sales) are abysmal, and that is without debate. Soon Windows phones will be relegated to only low end devices for second world countries.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
if ms doesn't act soon, will never attract new customers and many longtime ones like me will leave. The software is great, but us consumers demand new hardware. This business model is horrible and the results (sales) are abysmal, and that is without debate. Soon windows phones will be relegated to only low end devices for second world countries.
lol

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
All else fails Nokia thinking about return in 2016 ...the majority in the us are on carriers.....att has one soon the m8 but even that phone is old ....verizon...soon to be only one ...T-Mobile none....sprint......none yeah so many choices ...were acting like used car buyers.....maybe not new ...but new to them.....at least iPhone users know they'll get something different every year hopefully things change but don't think so....

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If MS doesn't act soon, will never attract new customers and many longtime ones like me will leave. The software is great, but US consumers demand new hardware. This business model is horrible and the results (sales) are abysmal, and that is without debate. Soon Windows phones will be relegated to only low end devices for second world countries.
It's not the hardware specs that will make or break WP. It's apps and accessories. The Icon is still a competitive phone hardware wise, but of course with only Lumia Black and 8.0 on it it's an impossible sale (just like the mid level 925 and 928). We have few apps and accessories as it is, and those we do have now require WP 8.1. The equation doesn't add up. I'm sorry to say it, but I think WP is a dead man walking at this point unless something dramatic happens... or they stay on life support until WP 10, and that somehow becomes attractive for 3rd party developers.

silvertonesx24

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what premium features are you missing? I have a 2 year old Lumia 920. It has an HD screen, NFC, 32gb + streaming services is plenty of space, wireless charging, a good-in-most-situations rear camera, and a lousy front camera I never use. It runs the latest Dev Preview OS and Cyan. I kind of wish it had a microSD slot, but that wouldn't be really cutting edge, would it? OTG functionality would work fine, if available. The only thing I feel it is really missing is a decent battery life.

The features that sell (to the masses, not the cutting edge nerds) are those that are actually life-improving. Yes, I don't think my 920 has a sapphire/Gorilla Glass 3, but there aren't any scratches on it after 2 years, so I really don't care.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss