My oh My where are the Premium Windows phones? Missing the Holiday season is a disaster

win10

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I believe the key to Microsoft's success with Lumia is to make the most desirable and the most expensive flagship in the phone market. That way, the city-slickers will buy it so they can own "the best" and the more budget conscious customers will be able to buy a more sensibly priced phone running the same operating system with the same features. I am not a city-slicker (quite the opposite in fact) but I, and many others, would buy the flagship.

The flagship model should include:-
The most powerful Snapdragon processor (810?)
The best camera (without the 1020 bulk)
The best designed case (possibly with metal surround and replaceable back cover)
A stylus (like the Note 4)
The best fingerprint scanner (like the iPhone that works well and requires no swipe)
The best display (possibly AMOLED with sapphire glass)
The best RAM and storage (3GB + 128 GB + expandable memory)
The best battery life
The best Office phone, with local storage synchronisation with One Drive
Dual sim
etc, etc . . .

In my humble view, Microsoft already have:-
The best personal assistant with Cortana (responds well, has clever features, and last but not least, a sense of humour)
The best camera solution
Windows 10 launch in 2015, which hopefully will be more successful than Win8 and become the most widely used OS in the world
The best OneDrive solution (unlimited storage with Office 365 - Unbelievable !)

It's not rocket science. Have the best designers (not techies) integrate the best components currently available into one beautiful phone and then charge the highest price for it. What's required is not half measures, but balls.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, perhaps this is the whole issue. Windows 10 won't be compatible with current gen phones so MSFT won't release anything high end until W10 is ready.

Is this the case? I wonder.

Bingo. Exactly the point i keep raising. Maybe MS will release this next flagship that will be a poster-child for W10...who knows? But there are too many "Should's" and "likely" and not enough assurances to ease the raised flag. Lets hope the case is MS is preparing to release a power house (not necessarily specs wise but feature/originality) product that will make Apple/Google shiver in concern.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
It is unfortunate that threads go on and on, laboring over the same subject. A subject that a fortune 500 company should easily be able to tackle. Solution:

Create a phone that can truly be called a "flagship." Do this EVERY year on a regular schedule and deliver the product on time. Allow those of us in countries that have indoor plumbing, to pay a premium for it and give us enough options on EVERY carrier to have a few choices when we go to the store. It really isn't that hard. The O.S. Has won the battle. Lost sales are a result of TIME and a lack of CHOICE.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
After owning three windows phone devices, right from windows phone 7.0, I can say I've given up hope. Its like MS wants their platform to fail.

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
yea it's like blowing in the wind of uncertainty. I just assumed the 1020, 920, and 1520 would be annual updates. all striking a particular cord with consumers. It is literally unreal. I'm not saying the M8 isn't a premium phone... but it already old... I am patiently waiting for something else to come out. I think they came out with two surface models within 9 months. like WTH.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I understand and agree with the idea of infiltrating the low end phone market. But seriously how many of these devices are necessary to achieve that goal. We have the 520, 521, 525, 635, 735, 830 ....I consider anything packing less than 16 gb storage and less than the s-800 processor to be an entry level phone. I mean really....how many choices do you get on a $1 burger?

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
as long as they keep releasing crippled "flagships" I wont bother to upgrade, the 1520 seems like the best wp but lacks xenon flash and amoled screen, wp is becoming too generic, we don't have a killer feature exclusive to windows or anything, they just keep focusing on low cost crap, they need to remember that high end phones with groundbreaking features are the ones that make headlines, after the lumia 920, everyone I know is certain that "Lumia" means imaging superiority, specially in low light

Christian Matthew

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This article was written yesterday:

?Why have I given up on Windows Phone? Blame Verizon | ZDNet

Last month my colleague Matt Miller wrote an impassioned column excoriating Microsoft for focusing on low-end devices for the international market and not building more flagship phones for American carriers.

This was written in November:

Bah Humbug: Microsoft's affordable smartphone strategy dashes hopes for a real flagship | ZDNet

Summary:Microsoft has yet to launch a single flagship model across all major US wireless carriers in the history of Windows Phone. Their focus on the low- to mid-range market may be part of why Windows Phone market share remains low.

Microsoft are you reading this?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
This article was written yesterday:

?Why have I given up on Windows Phone? Blame Verizon | ZDNet

Last month my colleague Matt Miller wrote an impassioned column excoriating Microsoft for focusing on low-end devices for the international market and not building more flagship phones for American carriers.

This was written in November:

Bah Humbug: Microsoft's affordable smartphone strategy dashes hopes for a real flagship | ZDNet

Summary:Microsoft has yet to launch a single flagship model across all major US wireless carriers in the history of Windows Phone. Their focus on the low- to mid-range market may be part of why Windows Phone market share remains low.

Microsoft are you reading this?

Well I don't think So. Microsoft may think instead focusing for flagship in US carrier they try to push lower end to the globe. Dude US maybe a big country but global market share is what really matters. If they could win in India, China, Indonesia, losing on US may not gonna be a problem. Well Microsoft have a good point pushing lower end phone now because flagship phone only affordable in US.

Just try to Buy Lumia 1020 in Indonesia. I doubt you can

dwarfsize

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think by premium you're meaning "better than any phone ever" because there are some still pretty awesome windows phones out there right now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention