11-04-2014 11:05 AM
169 1234 ...
tools
    That swipe to the left screen dialer we could use on Windows Phone. At least an option to do it.. Especially when at work.. and needing to make an important phone call real quick.. Swipe to the dialer from the lock screen, or from the start screen. Or have an option to "swipe to" whatever we choose on this "missing left pane".
    10-22-2014 07:16 PM
    How is that so much better than Windows Phone? Every OS has their own way of doing things. Are there some things Windows Phone could use? Yes, but new features will continue to be added. Look how many features it's grown in just the last year. There's a ton. If you're such an Android fan just to to Android, we won't miss you. However, I prefer Windows Phone in every way.
    10-22-2014 07:35 PM
    Definitely some nice improvements, but still not going to be a daily driver for me.
    10-22-2014 08:01 PM
    I actually like it. The animations are nice.
    haikallp likes this.
    10-22-2014 08:05 PM
    One thing WP is way behind though is the lock screen. Microsoft, fix it!
    haikallp likes this.
    10-22-2014 08:06 PM
    I watched the video and I didn't see much at all that Windows Phone won't do. In fact, it looks like Android is playing catch up with WP by implementing things that WP already does. For example, notification settings. Everything shown in the video WP already does. Quiet hours, inner circle, choosing what apps can display notifications and how, etc.

So, no, WP isn't way behind and is ahead in a lot of areas.
    AFAIK, Android had these for a long time already.
    10-22-2014 08:07 PM
    Not exactly sure where people are getting this "android is copying metro" thing. Can someone elaborate? It doesn't look look anything like WP, in fact, it looks more low-key and muted instead of bright, like WP. I see no live tiles and I also see no giant app list.
    10-22-2014 09:40 PM
    I saw a video of the Nexus 6 and thought it looked like a great phone but then I watched this video and it reminded me of my issues with Android and why so many people love iPhone. Halfway through this video my eyes were glazing over as he goes on about swiping this way, put this setting to this and then this locks out this but if you want that you pull down here and set this to this and here is this animation and this spins and this scrolls and here are bouncing Androids with lollypops... OMG! Just say "Turn on Quiet Hours" and be done with it. Then when the guy said certain apps aren't supported yet it just solidified my impression that Android is pieced together and still not cohesive and uniform. I've never owned an iPhone but the impression I get from using my iPad and from iPhone owners is that it is simple to the point of boring but it works and it is cohesive. Windows Phone is a nice balance of some customization but it still remains ordered and generally cohesive.
    10-22-2014 10:44 PM
    I think it looked nice and now includes some great WP features as well as a few others around the lock screen.

Still like my WP though, but it's always good to see what's coming.
    10-22-2014 11:18 PM

The only consistent thing in the Android UI is the inconsistency!!!!
    True that... Every app that runs on WP perfectly blends with the modern UI that it offers and gives experience like a native app would...
    TechAbstract and neo158 like this.
    10-22-2014 11:30 PM
    Not exactly sure where people are getting this "android is copying metro" thing. Can someone elaborate? It doesn't look look anything like WP, in fact, it looks more low-key and muted instead of bright, like WP. I see no live tiles and I also see no giant app list.
    True... The only thing similar between this and WP is the "FLATNESS". Nothing more, nothing less. Wow that rhymes.
    neo158 likes this.
    10-22-2014 11:55 PM
    I saw a video of the Nexus 6 and thought it looked like a great phone but then I watched this video and it reminded me of my issues with Android and why so many people love iPhone. Halfway through this video my eyes were glazing over as he goes on about swiping this way, put this setting to this and then this locks out this but if you want that you pull down here and set this to this and here is this animation and this spins and this scrolls and here are bouncing Androids with lollypops... OMG! Just say "Turn on Quiet Hours" and be done with it. Then when the guy said certain apps aren't supported yet it just solidified my impression that Android is pieced together and still not cohesive and uniform. I've never owned an iPhone but the impression I get from using my iPad and from iPhone owners is that it is simple to the point of boring but it works and it is cohesive. Windows Phone is a nice balance of some customization but it still remains ordered and generally cohesive.

So true!
    10-23-2014 02:42 AM
    That was a dev preview though, so certain apps not functioning correctly, and having messy UI, is a given in those circumstances.

The main shame with Android is the skins that manufacturers add to them. The Touchwiz skin is plain awful. I have a Nexus 5 with the action launcher, its simple and functional. Then when I try to use my wife's Note 3 its a big incoherent mess, I have no idea how she uses that phone daily, its terrible.

I think this is where MS and Apple have got it right, their OS looks the same on every device, its coherent and structured. Yes Android offers unlimited customisation, but to the point that its all very messy. 5.0 is the most polished version to date, but it's still nowhere near MS & Apple standards.

I guess regardless of what OS you choose you have to compromise somewhere, whether that's functionality, customisation, multitasking etc. No OS offers everything, yet.
    10-23-2014 02:53 AM
    WP is quite good OS for a phone, but the apps (quality and missing) are sh*t compared to Android and iOS.
    10-23-2014 04:40 AM
    Android resumes app fast because it has dedicated ram ... Once we get that in wp we wont be able to keep 100 apps in our phone ,.. So what's the use of faster resume ...
    10-23-2014 04:48 AM
    Saw the video seems more of UI changes.. but performance on low end devices that really matter like 512mb ram and low end phone! high end phone may work Smoothly ! but WP works fine on all devices :D
    10-23-2014 04:57 AM
    Well read some comments.
    Too many Android haters are here. So I skip reading it.

About Android
    Anyway I find it awesome.
    It's totally look cool.

I always get excited whenever a new version OS comes in market
    Android to WP(not iOS it always look same to me)

I am excited about Android 5.0 and also W10.
    They are different and cool.
    Both have their strength and weaknesses.
    So don't bother which is great or not.
    Simply enjoy both of them or all the OS.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    10-23-2014 05:43 AM
    Well read some comments.
    Too many Android haters are here. So I skip reading it.

About Android
    Anyway I find it awesome.
    It's totally look cool.

I always get excited whenever a new version OS comes in market
    Android to WP(not iOS it always look same to me)

I am excited about Android 5.0 and also W10.
    They are different and cool.
    Both have their strength and weaknesses.
    So don't bother which is great or not.
    Simply enjoy both of them or all the OS.
    Well, this is Windows Central so you have to expect a certain amount of hate on here.

I don't hate Android either but I do hate an inconsistent interface, as a result I'll be sticking with Windows Phone for a long time because I don't see the cluster**** of an interface that Android has changing any time soon.
    FinancialP likes this.
    10-23-2014 05:50 AM
    Nice video of Android's latest OS but it's still amazing to see how it's always compared along with IOS against WP which we all still know isn't finished yet as there are still 2 GDRs to get before WP10 is released and then the talk of 'EMERALD' (GDR3). So yes ANDROID L looks great but what it does make me personally feel is jealous because I'm still waiting for 'DENIM' to be released and the wait is what's the biggest issue that we WP users have seeing what's out for the rival OSes and knowing what we're being promised and having to wait so long to get it is and will always be a huge gripe for us WP owners.
    10-23-2014 06:21 AM
    If only we could get all the niche Android apps on our phones. Like my bank, credit cards, Cisco, snowmobile trails, Polaris, .............
    10-23-2014 06:22 AM
    To be honest, one only needs to receive a pdf attachment in a mail and then count how many steps are required in order to open the file in another app like OneNote, to get an idea of how much catching up we still need to do.

Loving wp so far but we are kidding ourselves if we think wp offers any functional advantages over another platform (apart from UI).
    dezzilakk likes this.
    10-23-2014 07:15 AM
    No. Windows Phone is not way behind.
    10-23-2014 07:30 AM
    WP lack some fluidity in scrolling animations here and there, but the rest is as polished as on AndroidL, which I personally find a bit overpolished.

As for functionality, there are some neat features in AndroidL, that WP doesn't has ... yet, but Win10 might level that out.
    10-23-2014 09:34 AM
    True that... Every app that runs on WP perfectly blends with the modern UI that it offers and gives experience like a native app would...
    That's precisely why I moved from Android to Windows Phone.
    10-23-2014 09:51 AM
    To be honest, one only needs to receive a pdf attachment in a mail and then count how many steps are required in order to open the file in another app like OneNote, to get an idea of how much catching up we still need to do.

Loving wp so far but we are kidding ourselves if we think wp offers any functional advantages over another platform (apart from UI).
    Not really, tap once it downloads, tap again and it opens in PDF Reader 😉
    10-23-2014 11:34 AM
169 1234 ...