Just saw this video of Android Lollipop. Is WP way behind?

123gettothechopper

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, I think this is amazing. You can't question its functionality as it's Android, this is to the people saying that Android isn't as functional as WP. We know that WP is behind in many regards and must admit it. Moving on to the OS itself, I think Lollipop has improved and organised the look of the whole OS, prior to this, it was fragmented and un-rythmic. As a matter of fact, (and I might be bashed for saying this) I don't mind using any Mobile OS, be it WP, iOS, Ubuntu or Android as long as it doesn't get in my way.
Peace!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think this is amazing. You can't question its functionality as it's Android, this is to the people saying that Android isn't as functional as WP. We know that WP is behind in many regards and must admit it. Moving on to the OS itself, I think Lollipop has improved and organised the look of the whole OS, prior to this, it was fragmented and un-rythmic. As a matter of fact, (and I might be bashed for saying this) I don't mind using any Mobile OS, be it WP, iOS, Ubuntu or Android as long as it doesn't get in my way.
Peace!

Exactly, that's what I'm like but I've found that, in my usage of Android, it DOES get in the way but that's only my usage so YMMV. That's why I like Windows Phone as it just gets out of the way and lets me get stuff done but, as I said before, YMMV.

I've always had a firm belief that there is no "best smartphone" just the one that's best for you, as my sig states, and for me Windows Phone is the right choice.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
As does any WP user, I don't see your point!!!

No OS is perfect, but talking strictly from a functionality point of view Android is almost unbeatable.

Then again if you choose Windows Phone, I won't mock you, Windows Phone is a great OS too and you could argue that it is more aesthetically pleasing, maybe better for photography, etc.

But you can't really argue about functionality, as in Android would beat Windows Phone in most(if not all) aspects.

estabien

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to throw out there that the Android OS has been around for longer- September 2008, to be specific. Windows Phone 7 was "released" in September 2010 (according to Google).

That's a two year head start for the Android OS.
However, take into consideration that the major versions of Android are 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, (3.0, but that was only for tablets, oops), 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, and now 5.0.

That's 11 or so iterations and 11 or so chances at major improvement/changes (although a lot of those revisions were VERY minor).
Meanwhile, WP has 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, and 8.1 (of course, that doesn't account for all the things in between, but those are the major revisions).
That's, obviously, four. HOWEVER, when you take into consideration what 7.0 looked like in contrast to 8.1, you'd see huge changes and huge improvements.

What I'm trying to get at here is that while Android may have more versions and more features under its belt, it has been around for slightly longer.

However, the WP OS has also faced major improvements since 2010. Just because it may not be "up to par" with Android currently (which is HIGHLY debatable anyhow) doesn't mean that it won't ever be. I feel like WP has been doing marvelously with adding new and useful features and I feel like Microsoft will be able to catch up quite nicely.

This is coming from someone who switches between a Nokia Lumia 520 and an HTC One m7, so I'm probably not as biased as some....

dezzilakk

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to throw out there that the Android OS has been around for longer- September 2008, to be specific. Windows Phone 7 was "released" in September 2010 (according to Google).

However, take into consideration that the major versions of Android are 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, (3.0, but that was only for tablets, oops), 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, and now 5.0.

That's 11 or so iterations and 11 or so chances at major improvement/changes (although a lot of those revisions were VERY minor).
Meanwhile, WP has 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, and 8.1 (of course, that doesn't account for all the things in between, but those are the major revisions).
That's, obviously, four. HOWEVER, when you take into consideration what 7.0 looked like in contrast to 8.1, you'd see huge changes and huge improvements.

What I'm trying to get at here is that while Android may have more versions and more features under its belt, it has been around for slightly longer.

However, the WP OS has also faced major improvements since 2010. Just because it may not be "up to par" with Android currently (which is HIGHLY debatable anyhow) doesn't mean that it won't ever be. I feel like WP has been doing marvelously with adding new and useful features and I feel like Microsoft will be able to catch up quite nicely.

This is coming from someone who switches between a Nokia Lumia 520 and an HTC One m7, so I'm probably not as biased as some....

Well... You could also say Android has had more effort given into it than Microsoft gave to WP. Google mainly adds new features... While Microsoft seems to really like to scrap off to redo them(Hubs, anyone?). Even BB10, which is the most recent of them all, feels a lot more complete and finished than WP... I really like WP, but boy do I feel tricked by MS sometimes.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Try a newer gen phone like the 530,630,730,830, etc. You won't find any of the loading or resuming on them. The snapdragon 400 really makes a difference.

This would eliminate the previous argument that people make about Windows Phone running we'll with low end hardware.

Oh and the 530 uses a Snapdragon 200.

Jeff Erson

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
WP may have a better UI but with those features from Android, (yeah, I know WP had it already but not all) I think they are better than what we have in WP. No resuming nor loading. Maybe app developers could resolved that. I'm tempted to buy the Nexus 6 but let's see what Windows 10 for phone can offer.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
This would eliminate the previous argument that people make about Windows Phone running we'll with low end hardware.

Oh and the 530 uses a Snapdragon 200.

How?

WP runs far better on low to mid range hardware than Android, not only that but that 530 runs WP just as smoothly as the 930 which just goes to show that WP is optimised for the hardware it runs on. I would call that a major plus point for WP.

RickyZhang

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It seems most people think that WP is way behind, but i think WP is just...with great personality, it's a little bit difficult for IOS or Andriod users to get used with it, but if you have got used with it, it's so comfortable.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
How?

WP runs far better on low to mid range hardware than Android, not only that but that 530 runs WP just as smoothly as the 930 which just goes to show that WP is optimised for the hardware it runs on. I would call that a major plus point for WP.

And what proof is there of that statement?

I can't find any video about low end devices, but comparing high end ones, Android performs way better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkokodBl9jQ

The Android device simply beat the Windows Phone, and this test wasn't even with Android Lollipop( then the difference would've been even bigger).

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
And what proof is there of that statement?

I can't find any video about low end devices, but comparing high end ones, Android performs way better:

The Android device simply beat the Windows Phone, and this test wasn't even with Android Lollipop( then the difference would've been even bigger).

Except... I didn't say faster did I. I said WP runs BETTER on low to mid range hardware and by better I mean performs better or is more efficient than Android, that means little to no stutter or lag in general use and switching between apps.

That's a well known fact, no need for proof!!!!

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Except... I didn't say faster did I. I said WP runs BETTER on low to mid range hardware and by better I mean performs better or is more efficient than Android, that means little to no stutter or lag in general use and switching between apps.

That's a well known fact, no need for proof!!!!

That's a well known myth, it may have been true back in the ICS and Jellybean days, no longer does it hold true.

I've used low end Android devices and low end Windows Phone devices, I've also used the high end devices of both. The difference between Android and Windows Phone low end devices is very similar; both stutter and crash occasionally.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
That's a well known myth, it may have been true back in the ICS and Jellybean days, no longer does it hold true.

I've used low end Android devices and low end Windows Phone devices, I've also used the high end devices of both. The difference between Android and Windows Phone low end devices is very similar; both stutter and crash occasionally.
You can ask anyone on this forum, even Daniel Rubino will tell you that the Lumia 520 performs much better than any Android device in that price range. Stop spreading FUD.

SvenJ

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it is possible to do a really fair comparison, subjective or benchmark, between disparate devices. Just like IQ tests and SATs, they favor some aspect beyond pure assessment. Benchmarks can be coded to, as has been shown numerous times. Real world, comparisons of things like web page loading, have as much to do with the browser engine as the hardware and OS. About the only direct comparison that you have would be HTCs M8, where we have identical hardware running Android and WP. In that case Windows Phone has been shown to win. For my money, if the response of the device is acceptable to me, my next criteria is battery life. I wouldn't go for a marginally perceptible increase in performance for half the life. Of course, I'm not a gamer, so my needs are different.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site

You for forgot about Windows Phone 6.5.X, you also forgot about Windows Mobile before that. Microsoft has the longest experience of all mobile OSs.

Just my .02 for the day

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
You can ask anyone on this forum, even Daniel Rubino will tell you that the Lumia 520 performs much better than any Android device in that price range. Stop spreading FUD.

Quoting Daniel Rubino won't really help your case because I've seen that you people selectively believe what he says.

If I told you that tests he conducted found that an iPhone 5S took better images than the 925. Or that he found it easier to take photos with an iPhone 6(as opposed to the 1020) at a concert because of the speed?

Unless someone here we're to make a comparison between a Moto G and Lumia 730(or 830) we won't know which OS performs faster in the low/mid range, until then please take this test as a reference:

And that test was without Android Lollipop(ART, better garbage collection). Android won in both touch responsiveness and speed.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Quoting Daniel Rubino won't really help your case because I've seen that you people selectively believe what he says.

If I told you that tests he conducted found that an iPhone 5S took better images than the 925. Or that he found it easier to take photos with an iPhone 6(as opposed to the 1020) at a concert because of the speed?

Unless someone here we're to make a comparison between a Moto G and Lumia 730(or 830) we won't know which OS performs faster in the low/mid range, until then please take this test as a reference:

And that test was without Android Lollipop(ART, better garbage collection). Android won in both touch responsiveness and speed.

Yeah, android has more features and extensibility than any other platform and that's a fact.

It also the least secure and the one generally riddled with the most bloatware.

If android was as snappy as you are alluding to, I don't think google would've focused so heavily with the last two major releases on trying to improve things like audio latency and performance.

Every major os has its flaws and people choose the OS which ticks most of the boxes for them.

Out of android, IOS and windows phone its android that takes the most effort to run optimally on anything other than a nexus device (you can argue but I bet you are running a custom rom).

I think Google has done a great job with L as its no longer such an eyesore.

For me windows phone still wins out as tiles are actually useful whereas I find widgets just a waste of space (while also draining battery).

I'm still not sure what you are expecting to get out of this on WP forum...

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb