11-04-2014 11:05 AM
169 ... 567
tools
    Wrong!

Check the link
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m8_f...iew-1151p3.php

The whole rumor that WP is more battery efficient is just lies.
    Their is no proof of it
    Um.... What?

From the article you linked: "The HTC One (M8) for Windows completed our battery test with an endurance of 79 hours - 8 hours more than its Android version. "
    satrus08 likes this.
    10-29-2014 01:12 PM
    Check out the "Display" topic.
    Right below the GSMArena Screen close up.

Here Screenshot
    untitled.jpg

Please read the link carefully
    10-29-2014 06:21 PM
    Check out the "Display" topic.
    Right below the GSMArena Screen close up.

Here Screenshot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	86015

Please read the link carefully
    That bit of difference wouldn't make an 8 hour difference though.
    10-29-2014 06:33 PM
    That bit of difference wouldn't make an 8 hour difference though.
    M8 screen is 33% more brighter than M8 Windows Phone.

It's upto you guys to decide.
    I am just stating fact because I don't believe WP is more battery efficient than Android.
    10-29-2014 10:18 PM
    Windows Phone 8.1 is a whole lot less consistent to their original Metro UI design. To be completely honest, performing most actions takes more time in Windows Phone. There is no denying this. Couple this with slower loading times and inferior multitasking and you have yourselves a hot mess...
    Not to mention 3rd party developer support, etc.

Frankly, a uniform UI would put Android further ahead than it already is. Going to take time for 3rd party developers to adopt this, whereas a large number of WP developers already conform to a greater extent!

Here's to hoping W10 improves usability and performance. W10 already has a better name.. Lollipop? Ehhh, no thx ;)
    10-29-2014 10:40 PM
    I've not read the whole thread, but I will say my immediate answer has been "Yep". In all honesty, and I still feel a lot of love for the OS, but every other company keeps out MS-ing Microsoft. In terms of the promises.

I do believe the "Material" design from Google's nothing more than Metro grown up in lollipop land, but in truth the OS looks like a more colorful metro with shadows.

Continuity from Apple is the promise MS kept making between OS and devices. Right now we have synced settings, but they're ten paces ahead, easily.

As far as the OS's, go check how App Resume works on WP and regard the app differences between the OSs (that's my current pet peeve).

And a flurry of other items and features, on the surface (analog brightness control!? Forf shame). To deeper API integration (Why can't I just get a list of wifi places local?) and more and more. Could they implement all of this? Sure! No clue if it's attainable in the current market and how fast their going, but no. At the moment, they are "behind" in my personal opinion. And have been continuously a year behind on average since launch.

Personal opinion. I'd love to, as I always say, eat these words. But i don't see people falling in love with the OS as (visually) easily after viewing Lollipop on the N5, or iOS 8. Or, technically after coming from Android. Or app selection after either Android or iOS.
    Bodeanicus likes this.
    10-29-2014 10:56 PM
    I've not read the whole thread, but I will say my immediate answer has been "Yep". In all honesty, and I still feel a lot of love for the OS, but every other company keeps out MS-ing Microsoft. In terms of the promises.

I do believe the "Material" design from Google's nothing more than Metro grown up in lollipop land, but in truth the OS looks like a more colorful metro with shadows.

Continuity from Apple is the promise MS kept making between OS and devices. Right now we have synced settings, but they're ten paces ahead, easily.

As far as the OS's, go check how App Resume works on WP and regard the app differences between the OSs (that's my current pet peeve).

And a flurry of other items and features, on the surface (analog brightness control!? Forf shame). To deeper API integration (Why can't I just get a list of wifi places local?) and more and more. Could they implement all of this? Sure! No clue if it's attainable in the current market and how fast their going, but no. At the moment, they are "behind" in my personal opinion. And have been continuously a year behind on average since launch.

Personal opinion. I'd love to, as I always say, eat these words. But i don't see people falling in love with the OS as (visually) easily after viewing Lollipop on the N5, or iOS 8. Or, technically after coming from Android. Or app selection after either Android or iOS.
    How can one even come to this conclusion? They don't look alike, they don't perform the same way at all.
    10-30-2014 10:47 AM
    How can one even come to this conclusion? They don't look alike, they don't perform the same way at all.
    Exactly!

I mean this whole community can't even agree on how Material Design copies Metro UI.

Some of them say Google has removed shadows and made everything flat, some say Google has made it more colorful with shadows, etc etc.

Honestly speaking if you compare the Lollipop UI to Metro, and if you compare the Material Design applications(Play Newsstand, Chrome, Google+, Play Store) with the Bing alternatives you'll realise that they are so different.
    10-30-2014 01:16 PM
    Exactly!

I mean this whole community can't even agree on how Material Design copies Metro UI.

Some of them say Google has removed shadows and made everything flat, some say Google has made it more colorful with shadows, etc etc.

Honestly speaking if you compare the Lollipop UI to Metro, and if you compare the Material Design applications(Play Newsstand, Chrome, Google+, Play Store) with the Bing alternatives you'll realise that they are so different.
    So you came here to see what you want to hear?
    Trying to be flat makes is it METRO.IMHO
    10-30-2014 06:02 PM
    there's so much more: typography, colour, text vs graphic, navigation patterns ...
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-31-2014 at 02:39 AM.
    a5cent likes this.
    10-31-2014 01:34 AM
    Wp metro ui is better to me , apps like 6tag , metrotube , uc browser ui's are the reason why i love wp , if wp is behind ? Well its supposed to be because lollipop is way recent i suggest u wait for for windows 10
    10-31-2014 01:47 AM
    So you came here to see what you want to hear?
    From what I've seen most of Android has always been flat, some skins may have been skeumorphic but Stock wasn't.

Android Lollipop is more inspired by HTC Sense(IMO) than it is from Metro UI.

Here's a small comparison between HTC Sense and Metro, the one on the left is a bit similar to how Material will be:

Wp metro ui is better to me , apps like 6tag , metrotube , uc browser ui's are the reason why i love wp , if wp is behind ? Well its supposed to be because lollipop is way recent i suggest u wait for for windows 10
    Honestly speaking in terms of functionality Windows Phone has pretty much always been behind.

Talking visually some of the apps you've mentioned such as UC browser and 6tag seem(IMO) to be better designed on Android, but they aren't relevant here because of one thing:

They don't fully adhere to the Metro or Material design guidelines, thus any comparison in design is irrelevant here.

If you want to compare Metro UI to Material, you'll have better luck comparing stuff like the dialer, news app, messaging, email etc.
    10-31-2014 04:00 AM
    Seriously, if you were concerned the implementation of Folders with Live Tiles was gonna be a mess, but turned out OK and that blows you away...wow. If you're running a device with DP 8,1 for GDR1 with Live Tiles Folders, please try to have 5 on your start screen at once and check your battery life, when I had 3 folders on my L1020 my battery was only lasting 5-6 hours! As soon as i removed the live folders i went back to 20 hours. While it looks nice no doubt, kinks need to be worked out on devices its not optimized for. As for your bold statement, the UI may not be revolutionary but its definitely not a mess...the evolution of Android is making the UI much more smooth/faster than it was with KitKat, which is lighting fast and fluid already. WP could use more polish of its known, thats whats referred to as Windows 10.
    I have more than 7L Folder and the battery life is even better with them than w/out.

L720
    10-31-2014 07:54 AM
    As an opener, I wish to say this..
    Android Lollipop Material Design is far from Metro UI. It focuses on animations and is inspired by paper, with shadows and what not. Sure its not skeumorphic, but Android has never been skeumorphic. Holo wasn't skeumorphic either.

Now, back to the topic. Well I think Windows Phone 8.1 is behind Android 5.0 feature-wise. But to say its way behind is wrong. Some of you in the comment mentioned that Windows Phone has had this or that feature before Android 5.0. But you have to realize that as Android is open-source, some features are already available on OEM's android devices even before Stock Android has it. A good example would be battery saver mode. Samsung, HTC, Sony has had these since 2011 or 2012.

Whatever it is, Microsoft has a lot of work to do. In terms of back end software improvements and also marketing.

- from a former windows phone user
    thesachd likes this.
    10-31-2014 12:24 PM
    I have more than 7L Folder and the battery life is even better with them than w/out.

L720
    Lucky you, I was not fortunate enough to have the same experience...I guess the software reacts differently for each individual case.
    portalfocus likes this.
    10-31-2014 01:44 PM
    I have 19 live folders on my 920's start screen with no performance issues. The folders themselves aren't a problem, it's the live tiles in them that can be an issue. Updates of live tiles are a hit on the system, and if they're in live folders that themselves have updating medium or large tiles, it makes them worse. Any folder that doesn't need to be animated should be a small tile. Any tile in a folder that doesn't need to be updated should be a small tile and/or have the live tile turned off. Live tiles are great, but with most current hardware you need to balance the value of the live tile against its hit on your phone's performance.
    portalfocus likes this.
    10-31-2014 02:14 PM
    It's way more in front of our (windows users) time.
    11-03-2014 08:22 AM
    Exactly!

Ditto.

And I thought the Crackberry forums were living in a delusion. WP is no longer about Metro design, as shown by the recent apps Microsoft made, and the updated Hubs from 8.0 to 8.1. Design isn't the focus on WP anymore, so what is it? What is it that makes it special and unique, now?
    thesachd likes this.
    11-03-2014 02:07 PM
    So what do you guys think?
    I think the guy in the video needs to calm down and slow down.

Everythinghesaysisrunalltogether and I can't be bothered listening to it... Tuned out and shut it off after 2:02.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-04-2014 11:05 AM
169 ... 567