Just saw this video of Android Lollipop. Is WP way behind?

panchovx

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I really don't like material design. It look so immature compared to metro design.
By the way, the functions are very well planned.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Still gonna be bloated, too. Almost every Android I see in my store still comes bloated. Modding the OS itself is such bs. I won't buy android ever again because of that. Lollipop won't fix it.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I watched the video and I didn't see much at all that Windows Phone won't do. In fact, it looks like Android is playing catch up with WP by implementing things that WP already does. For example, notification settings. Everything shown in the video WP already does. Quiet hours, inner circle, choosing what apps can display notifications and how, etc.

So, no, WP isn't way behind and is ahead in a lot of areas.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Google's material design is definitely heavily inspired by metro. That doesn't make it good though. To me it still looks like a hodgepodge UI that was thrown together by too many designers who each felt their own design style is best, but style issues are obviously completely subjective. I also suspect this will improve over time. I do like the functionality it offers though. There are definitely some features in there that MS should copy. No doubt about it.

Admittedly though, we're getting farther and farther away from the basics. To most people, much of the demo shows just "nice to have" features few will ever use or even know about (people on sites like this are an exception of course).

Either way, until Google changes their business model, what Android offers is completely uninteresting to me. Apple iOS would bore me to death (well, actually not such much since iOS8), but I'd far prefer that over this data harvesting machine.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think anyone would argue that Lollipop isn't an improvement over previous versions of Android, but looking at most of those new features they're things WP has had for some time. In addition to that there's the fact (as has already been stated) that Android is just a data collection application for Google, which totally kills any interest I'd have in it even if it did have some cool feature either WP or iOS didn't have. Further... don't forget that you're looking at stock Android there. By the time the OEMs and carriers pack it with bloatware and hide it behind dreadful UI skins it won't look nearly as coherent or flow so smoothly.

PepsimanLeh

May 19, 2013
Visit site
They made it clean and smooth, that's what I want in WP. Now they have it, plus their apps and functionality, I seriously think people will love it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Google's material design is definitely heavily inspired by metro. That doesn't make it good though. To me it still looks like a hodgepodge UI that was thrown together by too many designers who each felt their own design style is best, but style issues are obviously completely subjective. I also suspect this will improve over time. I do like the functionality it offers though. There are definitely some features in there that MS should copy. No doubt about it.

Admittedly though, we're getting farther and farther away from the basics. To most people, much of the demo shows just "nice to have" features few will ever use or even know about (people on sites like this are an exception of course).

Either way, until Google changes their business model, what Android offers is completely uninteresting to me. Apple iOS would bore me to death (well, actually not such much since iOS8), but I'd far prefer that over this data harvesting machine.

I have a Galaxy Nexus running CM11 and that has some apps that have the Material design and as far as I can tell it's just a reskin of Android like iOS7 was for iOS.

It has about three distinctly different versions of the material design, GMail and the Play Store have one design, Google Plus has another and Hangouts has another. It's an absolute mess and I don't see that changing in Lollypop.

The only consistent thing in the Android UI is the inconsistency!!!!

FYI, the GNex is an old device as my WP is now my daily driver.

Makm

May 15, 2014
Visit site
All I want is fast app resuming in WPs like the android phones! Thats the only thing I fancy about android phones - faster multitasking!

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So... this is the best Google has to offer on the UI???

Hilarious!!!! Windows Phone is so far ahead of the competion on the UI, it is unbelievable. Looks like MS got it right from the start.
Round of applause for MS please!!!!

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Not that impressive. WP does most of those things already. Things like settings, UI, layout backup, quiet hours, tabs (not all tho) in app switcher and many more.

I'm more concerned why ppl on this site is posting what do we think of android l when it seems these very same ppl don't even know that WP does most of these things already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss