Just saw this video of Android Lollipop. Is WP way behind?

Vyasjiworld

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Saw the video seems more of UI changes.. but performance on low end devices that really matter like 512mb ram and low end phone! high end phone may work Smoothly ! but WP works fine on all devices :D

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Well read some comments.
Too many Android haters are here. So I skip reading it.

About Android
Anyway I find it awesome.
It's totally look cool.

I always get excited whenever a new version OS comes in market
Android to WP(not iOS it always look same to me)

I am excited about Android 5.0 and also W10.
They are different and cool.
Both have their strength and weaknesses.
So don't bother which is great or not.
Simply enjoy both of them or all the OS.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well read some comments.
Too many Android haters are here. So I skip reading it.

About Android
Anyway I find it awesome.
It's totally look cool.

I always get excited whenever a new version OS comes in market
Android to WP(not iOS it always look same to me)

I am excited about Android 5.0 and also W10.
They are different and cool.
Both have their strength and weaknesses.
So don't bother which is great or not.
Simply enjoy both of them or all the OS.

Well, this is Windows Central so you have to expect a certain amount of hate on here.

I don't hate Android either but I do hate an inconsistent interface, as a result I'll be sticking with Windows Phone for a long time because I don't see the cluster**** of an interface that Android has changing any time soon.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Nice video of Android's latest OS but it's still amazing to see how it's always compared along with IOS against WP which we all still know isn't finished yet as there are still 2 GDRs to get before WP10 is released and then the talk of 'EMERALD' (GDR3). So yes ANDROID L looks great but what it does make me personally feel is jealous because I'm still waiting for 'DENIM' to be released and the wait is what's the biggest issue that we WP users have seeing what's out for the rival OSes and knowing what we're being promised and having to wait so long to get it is and will always be a huge gripe for us WP owners.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If only we could get all the niche Android apps on our phones. Like my bank, credit cards, Cisco, snowmobile trails, Polaris, .............

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, one only needs to receive a pdf attachment in a mail and then count how many steps are required in order to open the file in another app like OneNote, to get an idea of how much catching up we still need to do.

Loving wp so far but we are kidding ourselves if we think wp offers any functional advantages over another platform (apart from UI).

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
WP lack some fluidity in scrolling animations here and there, but the rest is as polished as on AndroidL, which I personally find a bit overpolished.

As for functionality, there are some neat features in AndroidL, that WP doesn't has ... yet, but Win10 might level that out.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, one only needs to receive a pdf attachment in a mail and then count how many steps are required in order to open the file in another app like OneNote, to get an idea of how much catching up we still need to do.

Loving wp so far but we are kidding ourselves if we think wp offers any functional advantages over another platform (apart from UI).

Not really, tap once it downloads, tap again and it opens in PDF Reader 😉

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Android looks way better than it did. I've hated Android since they introduced JellyBean. Ugleeey! (yes I know not everyone will agree :p) I agree with the reviewer that Android's always been behind on look and feel and this time they seem to have nailed it. But this version is absolutely gorgeous.

Is WP way behind? No. It's just different. But there are some functionnalities I'd like to see there like priority notifications or real quick toggles for settings.

The two-step verification though, I prefer WP's take on it which is if the phone number on your MS account matches the one your phone has, you won't need a validation code.

But yeah I think there are limits to comparing two different operating systems.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Not really, tap once it downloads, tap again and it opens in PDF Reader 😉

And then try put it in OneNote... The ios version lets you attach directly from within OneNote and when you save to OneNote from a mail, you can even choose the destination notebook.

Right now wp does a lot of things well but everything feels unfinished.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I don't like it at all. Looks messy to me. I love the simplicity of WP.

Anyway I've never been a fan of data harvesting even before Android existed so it's unlikely I will ever go back regardless of what it looks like. Besides, I'm so much more happier with my 930 than I ever have been with anything I've had before it.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I can understand that there are people here that have invested a lot of their time and money on Windows Phone and are willing to support it no matter what, and I highly respect them.

With that said, I disagree with a lot of what the previous posters have said. Windows Phone has a totally different UI from the concept of Material Design. Maybe there are a few elements here and there that Material Design has picked up from Windows Phone, but for the most part it is different.

And what makes Material Design so great isn't even the bolder colours, it's the whole new animations, fluidity and polish and drop shadows, very different from what you see on Windows Phone.

Also Android is focusing on letting the users view "more" of their content by making the system elements as less of an interference as possible(titles, large fonts and photos fade into the background).

Windows Phone IMO has a pretty inconsistent UI, you'll have places where the title of the app is huge and the text beneath it is extra tiny. It uses screen size inefficiently.

Moving onwards Android L is more of a visual overhaul so that people that previously criticised Android for not being as "polished" or "beautiful" as competing OSes, can no longer complain.

They've also focused on improving performance by making ART the default(also improving garbage collection), 60 FPS animations, and 64 bit support.

Also they've managed to get some of the most powerful SOCs on board like Nvidia to get console quality games on Android, they've also improved the quality of graphics.

Also audio latency has been dramatically reduced, allowing for professional recording apps in the future.

Talking strictly from a functionality point of view I can confidently say that an Android phone running Jellybean will be able to do more than a Windows Phone running the latest version, Lollipop further solidifies that and I can even make a video showing of hundreds of "useful" features of Android L that Windows Phone(or iOS for that matter) don't.

I know that there we're in the past things that Windows Phone could do what Android couldn't, for example manual camera controls but Android has that too now.

Unless you really really like the design of Windows Phone, I see barely any other reasons for why Windows Phone could be considered even close to Android Lollipop.

My honest opinion on Android L. And I'll say this, design is highly subjective and not everyone can be pleased by the same thing. There are things about Android L that I do not also like(like the new Play Store icon).

But as a whole Android Lollipop is great. Windows 10 for mobile will have really step up it's game.

ZackTheNever

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Nahhh... Still and always will be the most insecure mobile OS on the planet. I've literally tried to get a virus on WP and its impossible haha!

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Nahhh... Still and always will be the most insecure mobile OS on the planet. I've literally tried to get a virus on WP and its impossible haha!
Haha I know dat feel.

I've literally tried to get an official YouTube, Snapchat, Feedly, imgur, Google+ and dozens of other apps and games on Windows Phone and it's impossible haha.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I can understand that there are people here that have invested a lot of their time and money on Windows Phone and are willing to support it no matter what, and I highly respect them.

With that said, I disagree with a lot of what the previous posters have said. Windows Phone has a totally different UI from the concept of Material Design. Maybe there are a few elements here and there that Material Design has picked up from Windows Phone, but for the most part it is different.

And what makes Material Design so great isn't even the bolder colours, it's the whole new animations, fluidity and polish and drop shadows, very different from what you see on Windows Phone.

Also Android is focusing on letting the users view "more" of their content by making the system elements as less of an interference as possible(titles, large fonts and photos fade into the background).

Windows Phone IMO has a pretty inconsistent UI, you'll have places where the title of the app is huge and the text beneath it is extra tiny. It uses screen size inefficiently.

Moving onwards Android L is more of a visual overhaul so that people that previously criticised Android for not being as "polished" or "beautiful" as competing OSes, can no longer complain.

They've also focused on improving performance by making ART the default(also improving garbage collection), 60 FPS animations, and 64 bit support.

Also they've managed to get some of the most powerful SOCs on board like Nvidia to get console quality games on Android, they've also improved the quality of graphics.

Also audio latency has been dramatically reduced, allowing for professional recording apps in the future.

Talking strictly from a functionality point of view I can confidently say that an Android phone running Jellybean will be able to do more than a Windows Phone running the latest version, Lollipop further solidifies that and I can even make a video showing of hundreds of "useful" features of Android L that Windows Phone(or iOS for that matter) don't.

I know that there we're in the past things that Windows Phone could do what Android couldn't, for example manual camera controls but Android has that too now.

Unless you really really like the design of Windows Phone, I see barely any other reasons for why Windows Phone could be considered even close to Android Lollipop.

My honest opinion on Android L. And I'll say this, design is highly subjective and not everyone can be pleased by the same thing. There are things about Android L that I do not also like(like the new Play Store icon).

But as a whole Android Lollipop is great. Windows 10 for mobile will have really step up it's game.

As I said before, I have no problem with Android as in the underlying OS but the UI is terribly inconsistent between the built in apps. If you understood why Microsoft used different text sizes then you might understand just how much more consistent WP actually is compared with Android. If you want examples then I can post them.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Well, this is Windows Central so you have to expect a certain amount of hate on here.

I don't hate Android either but I do hate an inconsistent interface, as a result I'll be sticking with Windows Phone for a long time because I don't see the cluster**** of an interface that Android has changing any time soon.

Then you must hate Windows 8 too.
Compare to windows 7 ,it's ui is quite inconsistent.
And W10 too because further change in UI

arronov

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I don't like it at all. Looks messy to me. I love the simplicity of WP.

Anyway I've never been a fan of data harvesting even before Android existed so it's unlikely I will ever go back regardless of what it looks like. Besides, I'm so much more happier with my 930 than I ever have been with anything I've had before it.

Interesting, hmm... data harvesting... so do you think microsoft doesn't do the same thing to us? we don't have any prove this company so "clean" and will not do the same (either)

In my opinion, as long as we put all our information in a smartphone, it means we agreed our data to be harvested... we are living in the global world and global network, all informations can be easily to share.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb